• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Barack Obama to speak about Rev. Wright, race Tuesday, March 18

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
That speech blew me away... I don't even know if I can call it a speech... surely was no stump speech is all I can say.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
That guy is a hopeless demagogue. Basically everything to him is a reason to go write a long winded speech, and this episode just reinforced it for me.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Obama is Presidential material. Congrats to him and his team for handling the race issue very well.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
funny how you guys totally gloss over Obama throwing his grand-mother under the bus like he did. telling the entire world that your grand mother is a racist is over the top.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Citrix
funny how you guys totally gloss over Obama throwing his grand-mother under the bus like he did. telling the entire world that your grand mother is a racist is over the top.
Ah, but we don't like honesty do we? It's better to deny, deny, deny.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Arkaign
If only Obama would be honest about why he continued attending that church knowing what he knew about Wright.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
If only Obama would be honest about why he continued attending that church knowing what he knew about Wright.
Go find me a quote or action by Obama that advocates any form of hate or racism, and I'll reconsider. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't interested in carrying civil-rights-60s-era attitudes around in his personal life.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Well, why don't you just admit to us all that you won't believe him until he says something more to your liking. It's already been explained to you so many times by so many people, including Obama himself.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Go find me a quote or action by Obama that advocates any form of hate or racism, and I'll reconsider. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't interested in carrying civil-rights-60s-era attitudes around in his personal life.
That is not the way of the Sith. He gives illusion of "unity" and "hope" (laughable) and you guys buy into it. His real agenda is to redistribute evil whitey money to the poor black victims.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
That is not the way of the Sith. He gives illusion of "unity" and "hope" (laughable) and you guys buy into it. His real agenda is to redistribute evil whitey money to the poor black victims.
And now the real truth about what you fear comes out, eh?

Now even touching on its inherent racism, I'll just say this. I am firmly opposed to reparations. However, if forced to choose between giving $3 trillion dollars to blacks here in the US, or $3 trillion to Iraqis thousands of miles away, I would choose the former any and every day of the week and especially on Sunday.

Which would you choose? Because there is no doubt whatsoever that a vote for McCain is a vote for the continuation of Bush's policy of wealth redistribution from the US to the ME.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
allrighty-then :)

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
And now the real truth about what you fear comes out, eh?

Now even touching on its inherent racism, I'll just say this. I am firmly opposed to reparations. However, if forced to choose between giving $3 trillion dollars to blacks here in the US, or $3 trillion to Iraqis thousands of miles away, I would choose the former any and every day of the week and especially on Sunday.

Which would you choose? Because there is no doubt whatsoever that a vote for McCain is a vote for the continuation of Bush's policy of wealth redistribution from the US to the ME.
I choose Iraqis because we would be able to cut it off. However, government entitlements are nearly impossible to stop once enacted. I see it as $3 trillion per year.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Good thing for Obama this is happening now. He's already got the bid, now he can wait for the next scandals to break and other big stories to push this into the past. He's already tackled it head on, now it's time to move on to pressing issues (War/Economy/Economy/Economy).

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Good thing for Obama this is happening now. He's already got the bid, now he can wait for the next scandals to break and other big stories to push this into the past. He's already tackled it head on, now it's time to move on to pressing issues (War/Economy/Economy/Economy).
He's already got the bid? Billary still has a good chance to steal the nomination. Don't think us right wingers aren't going to swift boat the shit out of this come October if Obama prevents the Billary theft.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I choose Iraqis because we would be able to cut it off. However, government entitlements are nearly impossible to stop once enacted. I see it as $3 trillion per year.
Then how come we haven't been able to "cut it off?"

Plus, it's not like we spent that money in Iraq all in one shot. We borrowed it. Our children's children's children's children are going to paying for it with their tax dollars. That doesn't sound like we stopped or cut anything, now does it?
Then there's the fact that we spent the money in Iraq. Meaning that it is virtually gone from our domestic economy. Feel the current economic pinch? Don't buy into the media propaganda of it being the fault of subprime mortgages, that's the cost of Iraq getting us from behind right now.
At least if we had spent those entitlements here domestically, that money would still be in our own economy...

Fern

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 30, 2003
I keep hearing that phrase "throwing his GM under the bus". I think that's an over-the-top description.

He said she admitted to him that she was sometimes afraid of walking past black men on the sidewalk (or something similar) and said he cringed when she sometimes used a racial or ethnic sterotype.

Frankly both things are fairly common.

As a half black, half white guy, he's acknowlegding those things come from both sides (races). His speech wouldn't have been fair if only focused on one side, and he's uniquely qualified to address this issue.

Fern

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
He's already got the bid? Billary still has a good chance to steal the nomination. Don't think us right wingers aren't going to swift boat the shit out of this come October if Obama prevents the Billary theft.
At least you're honest about your dishonesty!

OH NOES Obama has relations with a guy who sometimes says wacky things!

It's not good enough that Obama denounced the controversial remarks and frankly discussed racial issues from several perspectives.

What's really important is how Obama has a top secret plan to steal money from white people to give to black people :laugh:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

Plus, it's not like we spent that money in Iraq all in one shot. We borrowed it. Our children's children's children's children are going to paying for it with their tax dollars. That doesn't sound like we stopped or cut anything, now does it?
Then there's the fact that we spent the money in Iraq. Meaning that it is virtually gone from our domestic economy. Feel the current economic pinch? Don't buy into the media propaganda of it being the fault of subprime mortgages, that's the cost of Iraq getting us from behind right now.
At least if we had spent those entitlements here domestically, that money would still be in our own economy...
I'd rather give $3 trillion to Halliburton than $3 trillion a year to any special interest group. I'm talking about cutting off recurring costs. Entitlement costs are recurring and never end.

Me buy into media propaganda? I hate the media and what they stand for. I don't feel any economic pinch, I'm still moving up in the world. Subprime? What the hell happened to you Vic? You're not the man I used to know.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

It's not good enough that Obama denounced the controversial remarks and frankly discussed racial issues from several perspectives.

What's really important is how Obama has a top secret plan to steal money from white people to give to black people :laugh:
How is that dishonest? What is so dishonest about playing Reverend Wright's video 100x a day in October and say "this is Obama's pastor for 20 years, in fact he's like his uncle" and let the viewers make their own decision? It's not like the left are going to plaster our faces with anti-McCain crap.

It was a Catch 22 for Obama - you completely "Wright" him off (haw haw) then you alienize some of your black constituents (and your church, the people you grew up with the last 20 years), you don't Wright him off you're stuck being an apologist for a racist.

If you don't think Obama has a black agenda at the expense of non-blacks that he's not telling us about, you are the intellectually dishonest one. All his Harvard legal speak and tactics are all textbook Sith.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
I keep hearing that phrase "throwing his GM under the bus". I think that's an over-the-top description.

He said she admitted to him that she was sometimes afraid of walking past black men on the sidewalk (or something similar) and said he cringed when she sometimes used a racial or ethnic sterotype.

Frankly both things are fairly common.

As a half black, half white guy, he's acknowlegding those things come from both sides (races). His speech wouldn't have been fair if only focused on one side, and he's uniquely qualified to address this issue.

Fern
I think that speech was shockingly honest. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing for him, but it was at least honest. I really don't know if America is ready for an honest discussion of race... but it definitely seems like Obama's going for it.

I for one am really glad. We finally have someone here who is willing to say something in a speech besides "RAH RAH AMERICAN FLAG WHOOOO". I feel like in the end it might hurt him, but there's a small glimmer of hope in me that people are ready for a politician who can say these sorts of things. I guess we'll find out.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

How is that dishonest? What is so dishonest about playing Reverend Wright's video 100x a day in October and say "this is Obama's pastor for 20 years, in fact he's like his uncle" and let the viewers make their own decision? It's not like the left are going to plaster our faces with anti-McCain crap.

It was a Catch 22 for Obama - you completely "Wright" him off (haw haw) then you alienize some of your black constituents (and your church, the people you grew up with the last 20 years), you don't Wright him off you're stuck being an apologist for a racist.

If you don't think Obama has a black agenda at the expense of non-blacks that he's not telling us about, you are the intellectually dishonest one. All his Harvard legal speak and tactics are all textbook Sith.
Sith. Note to JS80, when discussing contemporary politics, it's probably a handicap to be using Star Wars jargon. It's like a nerd amplification bomb.

And no, I do not believe that Obama has a 'black' agenda at the expense of 'non-blacks'. Nothing in his actions show anything to support such silliness.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Please explain his 'black agenda at the expense of non-blacks'. Is this similar to McCain's 'white agenda at the expense of non-whites'?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'd rather give $3 trillion to Halliburton than $3 trillion a year to any special interest group. I'm talking about cutting off recurring costs. Entitlement costs are recurring and never end.

Me buy into media propaganda? I hate the media and what they stand for. I don't feel any economic pinch, I'm still moving up in the world. Subprime? What the hell happened to you Vic? You're not the man I used to know.
Huh? How is Halliburton NOT a special interest group?? And have you actually seen what we've spent our money on in Iraq? I think it would be more than fair to call them entitlements. We're paying for their UHC ffs.

What happened to me? Are you reading your own posts? Look, right wing ideology might have its merits, and you could certainly argue those merits all you want, but wake up man your right wing leaders have already utterly and completely betrayed that ideology in ways far far worse than anything you could possibly think to accuse Obama of. This country simply cannot afford to let you guys keep pretending anymore.

ASK THE COMMUNITY