Banned from OCN because i would not pay them to post my build log

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
The thing is, you can still use 1000hp to accelerate like a bat out of hell...on the way to the supermarket. What you meant to say was, build a 1000hp car, and park it on a dyno.

My problem with the PC stuff is that it's just wasteful and silly. Overclocking used to be (rightfully should be) about value. We bought 300mhz Celerons 'cause we knew we could essentially have a 450Mhz Pentium for like a quarter of the price.

For what someone spends on a setup like this, they could simply buy a CPU and/or GPU (is this setup seriously just for cooling a CPU?) like, one notch below top end. And crush every application/game (...if anyone still makes games...) out there. And then a year later, upgrade. And then the next year, upgrade...you'd still have less money invested.

Also of note, of course, is what kind of overclocks people can get on $50 worth of air cooling versus what he's got. The whole 'using water to relocate heat then blowing it back into the case' thing is a silly concept...cooling water kind of goes with heating air. It's like setting a window unit in the middle of your living room and expecting it to get cold.

If you're gonna spend stupid money, make something stupid-effective and/or just stupid-awesome. We've all seen off-the-shelf PC watercooling products piled into a giant case before.

At least water cooling makes more sense than my friend who wants to oil cool his new computer he's building by putting it into a fish tank full of mineral oil. All of all the stupid things you could rice out your computer with, that seems to be the top.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
At least water cooling makes more sense than my friend who wants to oil cool his new computer he's building by putting it into a fish tank full of mineral oil. All of all the stupid things you could rice out your computer with, that seems to be the top.

Meh...granted, that's been done a lot by now, but it's still a lot closer to being cool.

The principles of it are more sound. You're taking something that fully functions on air cooling, and simply replacing the air with a more efficient medium. Should do well as long as you have fans that work properly in it- I dunno if you need a certain design/RPM to move the fluid in an effective way. It may simply transfer heat well enough that static mineral oil is sufficient.

If it gets hot enough, though, you run into the same 'closed system' problem as watercooling...sort of. With air, you've got a whole room/house/planet connected to your cooling medium, so it's effective to simply fling the hot air out of the case as fast as is needed.

With mineral oil, you've only got whatever surface area is contacting the oil to transfer heat out of it. You really don't want air contact, as the oil's gonna get dust in it and eventually get pretty nasty. If your case is plexiglass, that's going to insulate. So you need a radiator, and we're back to air. At least the radiator is outside the case, though.

That's the problem with all the water setups I see- they want the rad in the case, using airflow through said case to cool it. Seems really silly when the radiator(s) are on the intake side. Exhaust makes a little more sense, since a good airflow setup inside a case makes for pretty low ambient temps, and the radiators heat the exhaust rather than the intake.

But it's still noisy and overly complex for what I see as little practical gain. The rate at which you can transfer heat is still limited by the surface area of the processor die...to make it cooler, you must make that little square cooler. I don't see how a small plate with relatively warm water being thrown against is a good means of accomplishing that...why wouldn't you want something bigger on the processor with a larger volume of water making contact? I.e. a more traditional large, finned heatsink that would have more water in it at a given time?

But rather than critique watercooling technique...if I was gonna spend a lot of money, I'd want that bit of metal contacting the CPU as cold as I could get it; basically, a temp just high enough to not cause condensation. Where are the systems based around refrigerant (as in phase change)? Cool that heatsink down to, I dunno, maybe 40*, and dump the heat in a totally different location.

Last edited:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Meh...granted, that's been done a lot by now, but it's still a lot closer to being cool.

The principles of it are more sound. You're taking something that fully functions on air cooling, and simply replacing the air with a more efficient medium. Should do well as long as you have fans that work properly in it- I dunno if you need a certain design/RPM to move the fluid in an effective way. It may simply transfer heat well enough that static mineral oil is sufficient.

If it gets hot enough, though, you run into the same 'closed system' problem as watercooling...sort of. With air, you've got a whole room/house/planet connected to your cooling medium, so it's effective to simply fling the hot air out of the case as fast as is needed.

With mineral oil, you've only got whatever surface area is contacting the oil to transfer heat out of it. You really don't want air contact, as the oil's gonna get dust in it and eventually get pretty nasty. If your case is plexiglass, that's going to insulate. So you need a radiator, and we're back to air. At least the radiator is outside the case, though.

That's the problem with all the water setups I see- they want the rad in the case, using airflow through said case to cool it. Seems really silly when the radiator(s) are on the intake side. Exhaust makes a little more sense, since a good airflow setup inside a case makes for pretty low ambient temps, and the radiators heat the exhaust rather than the intake.

But it's still noisy and overly complex for what I see as little practical gain. The rate at which you can transfer heat is still limited by the surface area of the processor die...to make it cooler, you must make that little square cooler. I don't see how a small plate with relatively warm water being thrown against is a good means of accomplishing that...why wouldn't you want something bigger on the processor with a larger volume of water making contact? I.e. a more traditional large, finned heatsink that would have more water in it at a given time?

But rather than critique watercooling technique...if I was gonna spend a lot of money, I'd want that bit of metal contacting the CPU as cold as I could get it; basically, a temp just high enough to not cause condensation. Where are the systems based around refrigerant (as in phase change)? Cool that heatsink down to, I dunno, maybe 40*, and dump the heat in a totally different location.
Oh, I'm sure it'll work to some extent but the trouble of having your computer in a vat of oil negates any benefits in my view unless you get a huge performance gain, which I find very unlikely.

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
The thing is, you can still use 1000hp to accelerate like a bat out of hell...on the way to the supermarket. What you meant to say was, build a 1000hp car, and park it on a dyno.

My problem with the PC stuff is that it's just wasteful and silly. Overclocking used to be (rightfully should be) about value. We bought 300mhz Celerons 'cause we knew we could essentially have a 450Mhz Pentium for like a quarter of the price.

For what someone spends on a setup like this, they could simply buy a CPU and/or GPU (is this setup seriously just for cooling a CPU?) like, one notch below top end. And crush every application/game (...if anyone still makes games...) out there. And then a year later, upgrade. And then the next year, upgrade...you'd still have less money invested.

Also of note, of course, is what kind of overclocks people can get on $50 worth of air cooling versus what he's got. The whole 'using water to relocate heat then blowing it back into the case' thing is a silly concept...cooling water kind of goes with heating air. It's like setting a window unit in the middle of your living room and expecting it to get cold.

If you're gonna spend stupid money, make something stupid-effective and/or just stupid-awesome. We've all seen off-the-shelf PC watercooling products piled into a giant case before.

Seems your hating on it are you a Dell owner are something?

You do know this is a computer forum? And my build is aimed at the enthusiast and not a dell owner.

That is why i posted pics of my computer and not of my Corvette?

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
A Dell owner on an Anantech forum, oh the horror.

The shame.

Now that I think of it, is he sponsored, You should report him, he might get banned.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Seems your hating on it are you a Dell owner are something?

You do know this is a computer forum? And my build is aimed at the enthusiast and not a dell owner.

That is why i posted pics of my computer and not of my Corvette?

You butthurt or something 'cause you don't question things and just assume that most expensive = best?

Yep, I guess I do technically 'own' one Dell. I bought it for my mom a year or two ago because the mobo in her P4 machine died. I think I paid $75 to replace it with the same model, because it served its purpose fine and she uses it for work; not running benchmarks.

However, if you mean the desktop that I actually see every day and am using right now, I think it started out as a 'custom' (in quotes because there's really not much custom about buying parts and sticking them together) Athlon XP1700 and it's been a C2D for like three or four years, maybe? I dunno, I lost track of it because I haven't had any need for an upgrade, and, well, I don't make pointless upgrades to impress people on an internet forum.

Enjoy your Monster cables and Bose speakers. I'll let you know if I pick up any more Dell refurbs for friends or family. Or if my old-as-shit ~1Ghz or so overclock on a stock heatsink/fan runs into any problems and I need your help spending $1500 to cool it.

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
You butthurt or something 'cause you don't question things and just assume that most expensive = best?

Yep, I guess I do technically 'own' one Dell. I bought it for my mom a year or two ago because the mobo in her P4 machine died. I think I paid $75 to replace it with the same model, because it served its purpose fine and she uses it for work; not running benchmarks.

However, if you mean the desktop that I actually see every day and am using right now, I think it started out as a 'custom' (in quotes because there's really not much custom about buying parts and sticking them together) Athlon XP1700 and it's been a C2D for like three or four years, maybe? I dunno, I lost track of it because I haven't had any need for an upgrade, and, well, I don't make pointless upgrades to impress people on an internet forum.

Enjoy your Monster cables and Bose speakers. I'll let you know if I pick up any more Dell refurbs for friends or family. Or if my old-as-shit ~1Ghz or so overclock on a stock heatsink/fan runs into any problems and I need your help spending $1500 to cool it.

LoL nah im not Butt hurt i just do not see a reason for the hate...

Your not that into computers ok...
You like the build say it if u do not move along no reason to thread crap..

And if u check i do have one of the highest overclocked 3770ks around...
Still my rads are over kill..

But i wanted to fill the case i do not like an empty case.. my case is filled and i like it and so do 99.9% of everyone else.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah OCN is a hell hole, i honestly dont understand why people would post there as there is tons of other options to get any info you are going to get out of OCN with much less drama/epeen waving.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah OCN is a hell hole, i honestly dont understand why people would post there as there is tons of other options to get any info you are going to get out of OCN with much less drama/epeen waving.

Oh boy, another Dell owner.
Go back to using your Dell, you Dell owner.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh boy, another Dell owner.
Go back to using your Dell, you Dell owner.

I get the impression im going to need to read all the responses to understand this one....

I hate it when i only read the OP then post and get quoted and have no idea what the person quoting me is talking about.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I get the impression im going to need to read all the responses to understand this one....

I hate it when i only read the OP then post and get quoted and have no idea what the person quoting me is talking about.

Cliff's notes:

OP whined about another forum not taking his m4d 4w3s0m3 PC seriously or something.

Other people said, uh, okay, get over it dude.

I questioned his silly, extremely overly-expensive parts kit for water cooling his CPU.

I am apparently a Dell fanboy.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cliff's notes:

OP whined about another forum not taking his m4d 4w3s0m3 PC seriously or something.

Other people said, uh, okay, get over it dude.

I questioned his silly, extremely overly-expensive parts kit for water cooling his CPU.

I am apparently a Dell fanboy.

seems logical........ lol

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You do know a MCP 35X pump is more then enough for this loop?

It is king of head pressure for a reason u know....

Forgive the smile and chuckle you elicited from me on that statement......seems you're only comparing your pump to a D5, which in this case, you're correct.

But, given the amt. of show and dough you've invested, I'd have thought you'd have gone for something more upper end than a 35X pump, a pump that still struggles to top the old DDC2's.

I'd have looked into something from Iwaki for this loop, like the good old RD or MD series. Then you'd have had a show piece. As it is, it's a setup built with routine parts, true, lots of them, but the same as everyone else. Nuttin' special.

But, I guess you know best. I've only been playing with WC'ing since Cathar was doing his studies on block flow and nozzles and Bonneville heater cores were the rads to have, but what do I know?

Honestly, good first try. Search for some of Darth Beavis's work........those are show pieces.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Not that it really adds to the thread but I think a liquid cooled laptop would be cool.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
overclock.net - Basically it's a forum that pretends it's a legit tech website.

What it really is is a bunch of basement dwelling elitist teenage pricks with massive egos and their mommy's wallets that participate in nothing but a giant e-penis circlejerk, and if you're not with them, you're against them.

I started "visiting" there a couple years ago for their FS/FT forum. I found out rather quickly that the regulars there expected to hawk their abused and/or broken shit for more than retail pricing, and buy your brand new stuff for pennies on the dollar. Literally - people would be listing broken half-functional motherboards from their failed overclocking experiments for retail prices, and bitch you out if you dared offered them a penny less.

The place went to shit (as if that were possible) when they did their forum changeover/remodel.

The running joke on all the rest of the tech forums when someone new shows up and announces they're from OCN is, "Oh. OCN... lol."

HAHA, I was banned from their FS/FT forum for making this exact comment..... I'm serious.

Feb 19, 2001
I know people love to characterize forums by their mods, but a lot of times that's something you just have to live with.

I go for the information and technical knowledge there. I know we have some smart folks here, but when I wanted to talk about overclocking my i7 930, OCN was the place I went to. They had a nice spreadsheet of overclocked 930s, and batch #s. So did [H]. TBH if you look at the CPU section of AT Forums, there's some knowledgeable discussions from idontcare and others, but look at the posts there. It's like how do I OC? What CPU cooler do I need? My first OC, what's wrong?

So yeah, in that respect, I got all my OC tips and feedback through OCN and [H]. I found that there were plenty of people sharing their setups, BIOS settings, etc. There's also XS, but a lot of times the guys are too extreme that it's not practical, though there's still some good knowledge there too.

There's other stuff too. Look at the Displays section on [H]. You see people returning their Dell 2713s five times or something due to banding. If you want to scrutinize your display, that's the place to go.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
So yeah, in that respect, I got all my OC tips and feedback through OCN and [H]. I found that there were plenty of people sharing their setups, BIOS settings, etc. There's also XS, but a lot of times the guys are too extreme that it's not practical, though there's still some good knowledge there too.

Except you learn real quick in the OC world that person A with Components X/Y/Z that gets 1.21 jiggahurtz on said setup != person B with the exact same Components X/Y/Z who only manages 0.99 jiggahurtz.

Overclock, YMMV with the exact-fucking-same parts. Always.

And that is my main problem with OCN fs/ft (and other "hardcore" overclocking forum fs/ft sections). They try to sell a chip they personally got to whatever clock speed on whatever setup as a "premium chip" worth a "premium price", but odds are the person that buys it won't have any better clocks than if they buy a brand new retail chip. IE: Not worth the price.

*Again, my forum experiences are mostly jaded by FS/FT subforums. I usually find that most forums are populated by retards and idiots, so I stick to dealing with one general population of such (ATOT) and just deal with FS/FT on the rest.