Discussion Baldur's Gate 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Haven't played it, but from what I have read about it, it doesn't always fit with the style of the old baldurs gate games. It sounds like a fine game on it's own, but it should maybe have been not tied to the baldurs gate series. More like it should have been a stand alone game set in Faerun.

Well, can't have a game based on 5E play like Baldur's Gate 1/2 did. Not to mention its been 20 years since then. The game is different, but I wouldn't say its different in a bad way. I am finding that an ingenuitive player can get through some scenarios much differently than always fighting your way out.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I think Larian is kind of in a rough spot on this one, because its going to be so hard to please all the fanbases on this.

Baldur's Gate fans will complain its not real time with pause and too much like Original Sin.

5e fans will complain that Larian has taken too many liberties with the 5e rules like changing spells, conditions, spells creating ground effects, everyone getting Rogue class like bonus actions, etc.

Divinity Original Sins fans will complain that that abilities are per rest rather than cooldowns and they can't full heal after every battle.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Never did play through the OG BG, I just remember it being brutally difficult compared to contemporary games like FO1/2 and Planescape Torment and just gave up as it wasn't fun.

Its always weird when a studio buys a license only to make a game that is not faithful to what the license stood for. Why not just make your own generic fantasy universe if you're not going to pick up plot threads, characters, etc from the series you're making a game in?

Regardless, Larian games seem to hold their value on Steam for a long time (Divinity: OS is still $15 on sale I think) so it will be a very long time before I pick up this game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Never played baldurs gate games but sometimes I wonder about trying a strategy rpg. I know I bought Divinity and I couldn't get through the first 5 hours. It just didn't grasp my attention enough to want to figure out what to do next.

Is this game more so like that? Do you have an idea of where to go and what you should be doing?

I've watched several streamers play BG 3 on YouTube just to see if I would spend money on it and at first I was not interested but I kept watching. It does seem like maybe I may play it, not a definite yes as it's still early access.

Looking for a good game like this that is turned based but more appealing/captivating in the journey/story portion if that makes sense.

Last edited:

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Never played baldurs gate games but sometimes I wonder about trying a strategy rpg. I know I bought Divinity and I couldn't get through the first 5 hours. It just didn't grasp my attention enough to want to figure out what to do next.

Is this game more so like that? Do you have an idea of where to go and what you should be doing?

I've watched several streamers play BG 3 on YouTube just to see if I would spend money on it and at first I was not interested but I kept watching. It does seem like maybe I may play it, not a definite yes as it's still early access.

Looking for a good game like this that is turned based but more appealing/captivating in the journey/story portion if that makes sense.

I wouldn't buy early access, its still buggy and only has act 1. Wait until full release.

Honestly I'm not sure whether to recommend the game for you. BG3 does appear more narratively driven than the Divinity games, but the exploration is handled similarly to those games. Divinity is definitely far easier to learn than Dungeons and Dragons unless you have previous experience with the system. Did you play DOS or DOS2? That might make a difference. DOS2 had more of a narrative than DOS1 and BG3 looks to have more than DOS2. If you tried DOS1 then you might want to try DOS2 on a sale. If you played DOS2 and didn't like it then this might not be for you.

Game really feels like its DOS3 using modified DnD rules but with Dragon Age style interactions and conversations.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I wouldn't buy early access, its still buggy and only has act 1. Wait until full release.

Honestly I'm not sure whether to recommend the game for you. BG3 does appear more narratively driven than the Divinity games, but the exploration is handled similarly to those games. Divinity is definitely far easier to learn than Dungeons and Dragons unless you have previous experience with the system. Did you play DOS or DOS2? That might make a difference. DOS2 had more of a narrative than DOS1 and BG3 looks to have more than DOS2. If you tried DOS1 then you might want to try DOS2 on a sale. If you played DOS2 and didn't like it then this might not be for you.

Game really feels like its DOS3 using modified DnD rules but with Dragon Age style interactions and conversations.
I only played DOS not DOS 2. I remember I have dragon age inquisition on ps4 and I enjoyed that game. I can't recall why I stopped playing it. I remember I got royally stuck at one point and must have uninstalled it to make space for other titles.

BG3 immediately reminded me of divinity except the combat is more DnD which I've never played in the first place. I'll check out some playthroughs of DOS 2 and see what it entails.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Here's my evaluation after 6 hours (as spoiler free as possible):

Wait and see. This game could go either way depending on your interests and the direction developers take. Overall score, not modified for the fact that it's early access, is 6/10.

To begin with, it's early access. That mean's there's going to be hiccups. I've noticed my fair share of graphical glitches: a dagger being held in an open hand with palm turned down, a ring that passes through the hand from palm to... back of the hand, whatever that's called, a druid grove with a GIGANTIC rendering anomaly right in the middle of it. Loading times can be long, even with my m.2 SSD. Loading in the first big area after the intro area takes several minutes. Quick loading to save scum also can take a minute or more. I've had quest givers appear on the minimap that offer no quest when I talk to them. That means that either the dialogue is bugged and the quest isn't being offered properly or their minimap status as a quest giver is bugged (they shouldn't be flagged until I've opened the questline). The combat options/controls are a little wonky and it occasionally results in your character attacking nothing and wasting your only Action for the round. To me these are early access issues and should be ironed out. The biggest concern is that there doesn't appear to be an in-game reporting feature so it's not convenient for early access participants to actually help iron them out.

Now, on to the game.

Race and class selection is currently limited. I know Larian has said that this is due to early access and more will be released but if I had a dollar for every game developer's broken promise I'd have a shitload of dollars. It's interesting that the early access includes "core" classes (fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue) and two "advanced" classes (warlock, ranger). Not sure why those two extra classes were selected over other options (paladin, monk, sorceror, barbarian, bard, druid). Extra weird because there is a druid grove in the game, so druids are in the programming. Also interesting that the ranger appears to be the "alternate" ranger and not the Player's Handbook Ranger (which is widely believed to be the suckiest class). I haven't broken out the source materials to be sure, just basing this on the selection of favored enemy.

Other character items of note:
  • The spell list is either incomplete or complete but truncated. I don't know if Larian plans to add more spells, currently a cleric has about 8 choices available at 1st level while there are at least 16 1st level spells in D&D. Did they omit some because they're "useless?" Maybe, we'll see.
  • Some game rules have been modified and this can affect characters. For example, pretty much all characters can Disengage or Hide as a Bonus Action. These are supposed to be Actions. Larian made this change for "gameplay" reasons. However, this severely nerfs the Rogue as one of their key class abilities at Level 2 is to Disengage, Hide or Dash as a Bonus Action. They're the only ones to get this and it's supposed to increase their versatility and utility. By giving 2/3 of the ability to everyone, Rogues become less useful and the Level 2 advancement for Rogue is essentially 1d8 hp and nothing else.
  • EDITED: Character creation is done on a point buy system. But it appears to be that Larian is using the variant point buy system from the Player's Handbook. All your Ability Scores start at 8, then your racial modifiers are applied. You get 27 points to allocate and the game will suggest an allocation; you can unallocate them and start from scratch. The point buy appears to be 1 point to modify an Ability Score with an EXISTING modifier of +1 or less and 2 points to modify an EXISTING modifier of +2. In other words scores of 9-14 cost 1 additional point each and scores of 15-17 cost 2 additional points. Also, because Larian is using this variant rule it caps ability scores at natural 15, meaning a human can't have anything above 16 and other races can't have anything above 17. This will disappoint some players as it's common to use systems that allow up to natural 18 at creation.

EDITED: Races are a bit limited. Core 5e D&D has 9 races. BG3 early access offers 8 but one, Drow, is technically a subrace of Elf and not a standalone race and another, Githyanki, is a non-core race. Core races missing currently are Dragonborn, Gnome, and Half-orc. I guess they included Githyanki because of the Illithid tie-in but I am curious if other, more popular, non-core races will appear later on, things like Goliath and Aasimar.

Background choices are also extremely limited. Character modeling choices also very limited: a handful of face choices, maybe double that number in hairstyles, a dozen or so tattoo options and a similar number of "makeup" options. Color selection appears ok. Compared to prior BG games where the 2D sprites could have 2 colors customized and a portrait selected this is arguably quite a bit more. It's also arguably less, since customized portraits arguably offer more "customization" than the faces and hairstyles available in BG3. And compared to a 6-year old game like DA:I the customization options are pathetic.

The UI needs work. Selecting melee vs ranged attack can be cumbersome and slightly imprecise targeting means it is possible to target nothing and waste your action. As you pick up items that can be used in your adventure they get dumped into a hotbar that has no order to it. Inventory is also unordered and I didn't see a way to sort it easily. Some special abilities, like a Rogue's Sneak Attack, end up in the general item hotbar. Which brings up Sneak Attack. Why is it an extra button? The game can calculate when Sneak Attack applies so why do I have to actively turn it on for an applicable attack? Why can't the game just apply Sneak Attack? And why are there TWO Sneak Attacks? Do we really need to differentiate between a melee and ranged Sneak Attack? The game should just apply Sneak Attack to whatever attack type you've selected. And yes, I know there is a case wherein Sneak Attack applies only once per round so a Rogue with a couple levels of Fighter and access to Action Surge needs to differentiate between the first and second Action being the Sneak Attack but that's an outlier and shouldn't drive the 99% of uses where the Rogue will only take 1 Action and that will be a Sneak Attack if eligible.

The tutorial needs work. It hardly exists. I know 5e D&D so I'm just having trouble learning Larian's interpretation of them but if I was coming in blind it would be overwhelming. There are some tooltips and a few popups but most of the game systems and UI interactions go completely unexplained. For example, let's look at selling stuff. There are the normal "vendor" NPCs that you can trigger through the dialogue tree ("Show me your wares."). But did you also know you can trade with other random NPCs you encounter? Probably not, because in order to do so you need to click one of the four or so unlabeled and unexplained buttons in the lower left corner of a dialogue cutscene. And don't push the wrong unlabeled and unexplained button or instead of initiating commerce you'll attack that NPC!

Once you do successfully initiate commerce you'll be at an unusual "barter" screen. Oh, it shows your entire inventory and the NPC's entire inventory. And I guess you buy stuff by dragging it from the NPC's inventory to the area in the middle. But the value/cost of things that you tooltip over isn't the value/cost the NPC wants from you. Which makes commerce frustrating as you don't know how much something will cost by looking at it, you have to put it in the center area and if it costs too much you have to remove it. Ok, let's sell something. I'll just take my garbage items and move them over, and... click "barter?" No, he's not offering me anything. Oh, he's got a pile of gold in his inventory, I need to select his gold and move it into the barter area. But it defaults to splitting his stack in half, so I have to manually adjust the gold to exact value of what I'm selling. If it's even 1gp too high or too low the transaction will be declined by his credit card processor. Very unintuitive commerce interface. And you'll notice that I keep calling it "commerce" and not "trade." That's because there is a separate selector that's not highlighted that will change the transaction from "barter" mode to "trade" mode. What's the difference? I don't know, the game never explains it. I do know that some of my items aren't available in "trade" mode. Does that mean the vendor doesn't want them? I don't know. I never could get a "trade" transaction to complete.

Gameplay. So far it's been ok. Movement is "real-time" and combat is turn-based. It's a departure from prior BG games where it was presented as "real-time with pause" (even though the engine did the calculations as turn-based). Turn-based seems to work well in this implementation, I'm not sure if that's because of 5e rules or Larian's implementation or some combination. Combat has an X-Com style feel to it. It's MUCH better than the turn-based combat in D&D "classic" Tomb of Elemental Evil. That game was entirely turn-based and an absolute slog to explore areas.

Default keybinds are a bit wonky. Highlighting objects defaults to left Alt instead of Tab. EDITED: Highlighting also doesn't highlight all objects, it appears to only highlight obejcts you can pick up, not objects you can interact with. Screen movement is WASD but camera rotation is Insert/Delete. You can remap screen rotation to QE (where it should default to IMO) but then you have to remap QE because they're used for menu hotkeys. And once you start down that rabbit hole you can quickly find yourself remapping ALL of the keybinds. Screen rotation also defaults to middle mouse (for me) but with my mouse wheel it means I often mis-click or inadvertently zoom in/out (which is the mouse wheel default mapping).

Pathfinding can be off. I've definitely had characters die because they decided to run through fire (while not in combat) on their way to the destination instead of running around. I also found out that if your main character does something like jump across a ravine you either have to manually jump all your others across or wait forever for the AI to figure it out. If you just jump over and move on the rest of your party will just stand at the ravine and never make any attempt to path back around to you.

Dialogue is good, for the most part and voice acting is solid. The narrator is very good, though why some of the protagonist's part is narrated, some of it is voice acted and some of it is just subtitled is beyond me.

Ability/skill checks can be weird. Some of them are passive/automatic checks and others are part of the dialogue tree. There's not a lot of discernable evidence as to why one might be automatic and one might be triggered. Display of skill check dice rolls may be a bit unfamiliar: a check in which the character has a +3 bonus and the Difficulty Class (DC) is 10 shows as a straight d20 roll against a DC7. In other words, it applies your modifiers to the DC for a straight roll. It works, just not in a way that many RPG players are used to. I've not had a roll at disadvantage yet (roll twice and take the lower roll) but I have had an advantage roll (roll twice and take the higher roll). The tooltip explains advantage, but the explanation isn't technically accurate ("Roll 1d20+1 and take the higher roll" should be "Roll 1d20+1 TWICE and take the higher roll") and the implementation presents incorrectly; the player only sees the d20 roll once.

There is a combat tracker-style box where you can see the results of attack rolls, etc. but for me it defaults to collapsed. Once I expand it it doesn't automatically scroll to keep up with the action, which makes it rather useless. That's frustrating because, similar to the X-Com comparison I mentioned above, when you target a adversary a tooltip will tell you the chance of hitting. And, like X-Com, I've had LOTS of 95%, 90%, etc. attacks miss in a row. A 95% tooltip should mean "Don't roll a 1!" but the combat tracker doesn't do a good job of keeping track of combat. EDITED: The 95% tooltip is odd. On a d20 a 95% chance to hit literally is "Roll a 2 or higher." But in 5e D&D the default Armor Class is 10. My character has a +3 to hit from his ability score and a +2 from weapon proficiency. Using the "Larian method" of calculating rolls this means the DC of the attack against an unarmored foe is 5 (base 10 AC minus 5 from my bonuses). Since an attack hits on a tie (roll = Armor Class) the enemy would have to have a -3 penalty to AC for my roll to be a 95% chance to hit. The match just doesn't add up.

I've had to do lots of save scumming. I've had lots of ability checks fail on rolls where the overwhelming odds were in my favor. But the game also stacks ability checks in succession and a single failure can ruin it all. For example, I had one sequence like this:
  • Passive perception check to notice something. Check appears easy but I don't know for sure. Fail it and the entire sequence fails.
  • Passive check to recognize something. Check appears easy but I don't know for sure. Fail it and the entire sequence fails.
  • Active ability check to notice something. Check is easy. Fail it and the entire sequence fails.
  • Active ability check to do something. Check is easy. Fail it and the entire sequence fails.
  • Active ability check to do something. Check is moderate. Fail it and the entire sequence fails.
To have 5 (FIVE!) checks that all need to succeed is ridiculous, poor design. Then, in practice my results typically were:
  • Pass the passive check, don't know by how much.
  • Pass the passive check, don't know by how much.
  • Pass the active check, need a 7 roll an 18.
  • Pass the active check, need a 9 roll a 16.
  • Fail the active check, need a 14 roll a 2.
I had to scum that a dozen or so times to get five passes and almost every one of my failures was by beating the easy rolls by a ton and then losing the moderate roll. Makes me suspicious of the RNG. I did find the interaction the Ars writer mentioned with the Intelligence and Wisdom checks in succession. I agree, as stated above, that successive checks are poor design, especially when they're uncomplementary stats like INT and WIS. Add in that it's part of a decision tree in which you THINK you're going down the correct path but success means INSTANT DEATH, that's bullshit.

Finally, I'll say that the game doesn't necessarily offer clear directions on what you should be doing. Once you get to the first big area you're given some vague idea of what to do ("Find help!") and you can wander around a bit and pick up some companions. But soon you're offered a few different paths to your goal plus some side paths. There's no indication of which ones are best. No indication that a quest might be of a certain level. And pretty soon you might find your one level 2 character against 4 level 3 harpies because your party didn't pathfind to you properly and the harpies are right next to what I assume is a level 2 area.

I haven't spent 15 hours in game and I don't want my 15 hours back. I can see potential here. There's a LOT to be done to finish it. When it's finished I can see it being a solid-but-not-great RPG. I haven't advanced the story much but so far I can't see this as a "rightful" Baldur's Gate game. That may change later on but right now it's a "5e D&D game that uses the city of Baldur's Gate as an excuse to tie it into an existing, successful franchise" game.

Last edited:

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Too much text to quote

Wow, thanks for this! I was waiting for a detailed review like this. Lots of info. One question (maybe I missed it in your review, but I didn't see it), I have heard that dialogue is often initiated not necessarily by the player, and often times your companions don't involve themselves in the dialogue. Do your companions skills affect dialogue choices/skill checks?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Wow, thanks for this! I was waiting for a detailed review like this. Lots of info. One question (maybe I missed it in your review, but I didn't see it), I have heard that dialogue is often initiated not necessarily by the player, and often times your companions don't involve themselves in the dialogue. Do your companions skills affect dialogue choices/skill checks?
I'm not sure. Because of the way the game engine handles dialogue cuts, basically just changing the camera angle of the in-game render as opposed to cutting away to some separate scene, it happens with more frequency than I'd like that the camera focuses on a companion of you were controlling the companion or they were closest and triggered the dialogue. The times that it's happened to me I don't recall having any skill checks that stood out as obviously my main protagonist or obviously a companion.

The same is true for some cut scenes. If you trigger with a companion the cut scene that ends the intro zone then the scene will proceed with the companion as the focus.

The intro zone ends when you interact with a device. You can choose who makes that interaction and if you use a companion then the cut scene replaces your protagonist with the companion.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Another item that popped up for me yesterday while playing:

In tabletop D&D a medium sized character controls a 5 foot by 5 foot square in combat. Enemies cannot pass through a controlled square but allies can. Halflings have a racial trait that allows them to pass through enemy-controlled squares if the enemy is of a larger size category.

Larian apparently hasn't adapted these movement rules and I don't know if they intend to.

Scenario: I'm exploring an indoor location. My protagonist opens a door and there are enemies in the room beyond. Combat is triggered as soon as the door opens and initiative is rolled. Enemy #1 goes first, hitting my protagonist in the doorway with an "Ensnaring Shot" so he cannot move. My ally goes next but cannot exit the room because in BG3 you CANNOT move through friendly controlled squares. Because the room I'm in is small and the room the the enemies are in is large I cannot get an angle on them and pass my ally's action. Enemy #2 goes next and hits my protagonist with fire and knocks him unconscious, so now he's down in the doorway making death saves. Another ally goes next but cannot exit the room because apparently an unconscious ally is still considered to control the square, so my protagonist is still blocking the doorway. I give him aid so he regains consciousness, hoping to move him. My protagonist's turn is next and, because he's on fire, he takes damage and goes down unconscious again before I can move him, blocking the doorway. I'm now stuck in a permanent killbox.

Hopefully Larian adjusts movement so that you can pass through space controlled by friendlies and adds the halfling racial trait, the absence of which reduces the effectiveness of halfling rogues (who have already had a "nerf" due to the bonus action change).

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Whoever is speaking, whether its the PC or companion, will use their own stats and proficencies. If you want to make an Arcana check and you are playing a Fighter without training in Arcana, its better to send Gale the wizard to make that check. Your companions won't but in and offer assistance. This is one of things I'm going to post to Larian that they should consider changing.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I am really enjoying this game.
It feels like Dragons Age Origins.
The cheap jabs done by Lae'zel and Shadow remind me of the jabs Morrigan did against Oghren.

Only sad its one act, and it was priced at a full release, but i guess i bought it to support the developers.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i played and loved D:OS 1&2, played BG2 over a dozen times since the year 2000, played BG1 remastered and all other IceWind Dale 1&2, NeverWinter Nights 1&2 (and expansions), Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Sword Coast Legends (and loved it!), you name it i probably played it.
watched some streamers play the early access, and it looks EPIC just like D:OS2. it will be a very deserving sequel to BG2.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I used to like never winter nights. It's been years since I played that title. I think I'll get divinity original sin 2 and try it out despite not getting into the first one.

I liked dragon age inquisition to a point too. I keep seeing everyone on YouTube doing let's play series of BG3 and it is making me more interested in it despite never having played a DnD game.

Hopefully DOS2 can keep my attention while I wait for BG3 to get more content out of early access. Perhaps I'll just do a lone wolf playthrough of DOS 2 so I can get used to the mechanics so I don't have to go crazy with micromanaging each party member.

From what I see from youtube managing each party member doesn't seem to be that difficult in BG3 whenever they are ready to level up.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
From what I see from youtube managing each party member doesn't seem to be that difficult in BG3 whenever they are ready to level up.

Yeah, party management is pretty easy. The only issue I can think of is if you decide to not use some party members, and they stay in your camp, and then you go to use them later on, they may be way under leveled. Which is an issue I had with Pillars of Eternity 2.

My biggest pet peeve right now is no way to sort inventory. It is driving me nuts.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, party management is pretty easy. The only issue I can think of is if you decide to not use some party members, and they stay in your camp, and then you go to use them later on, they may be way under leveled. Which is an issue I had with Pillars of Eternity 2.

My biggest pet peeve right now is no way to sort inventory. It is driving me nuts.
I found this on reddit. There is a small button on top right, near the middle section.

I've been keeping tabs on the BG 3 reddit page to see what people are saying and to get updates on the game. I feel like I should purchase it but I wouldn't want to start it and then have to restart it later when it's out of EA.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I found this on reddit. There is a small button on top right, near the middle section.

I've been keeping tabs on the BG 3 reddit page to see what people are saying and to get updates on the game. I feel like I should purchase it but I wouldn't want to start it and then have to restart it later when it's out of EA.

Ahh, thank you!! That button does not scream 'sorting options' at all.

A strange bug I am currently seeing is my primary character can hold twice as much weight as the little graph on the bottom says. If I go over 200%, then I get the 'too much weight' icon and my character can no longer run.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dragon age inquisition

DA:O >>>>>> DA2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x ∞ DA:I infact inquisition was honestly a big disappointment. It was so stream lined railed, that you really had no choice or option in the game except minor stuff.

DA:O you had the freedom to litterally do anything you wanted.
Want to slaughter the town, go ahead.
Want to play the messiah, go ahead.
Want to kill off your companions, again go ahead.

Nothing really came close to DA:O except probably skyrim, which which is epic in itself.

But if you enjoyed DA:I, oh man... BG3 will be a game changer for you if they continue with how its is up to act one, which btw i am done with and wanting more already.

Honestly i think BG3 is much more well polished in player freedom then Divinity.
Its litterally a game where you can do whatever you darn well please, until you get pwned.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Ahh, thank you!! That button does not scream 'sorting options' at all.

A strange bug I am currently seeing is my primary character can hold twice as much weight as the little graph on the bottom says. If I go over 200%, then I get the 'too much weight' icon and my character can no longer run.
Yeah, in D&D the core rule is that you can carry up to 15x your Strength score, so a character with 10 strength can carry 150#. There's an optional rule for encumbrance that says at 5x your Strength you are 'encumbered' and speed decreases by 10 feet and at 10x your Strength you are 'heavily encumbered' and speed drops by 20 feet plus you get disadvantage on certain rolls.

Near as I can tell BG3 shows your carry capacity as 10x your Strength score. There's no penalty for exceeding it until you get to 20x at which point movement is slowed.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, in D&D the core rule is that you can carry up to 15x your Strength score, so a character with 10 strength can carry 150#. There's an optional rule for encumbrance that says at 5x your Strength you are 'encumbered' and speed decreases by 10 feet and at 10x your Strength you are 'heavily encumbered' and speed drops by 20 feet plus you get disadvantage on certain rolls.

Near as I can tell BG3 shows your carry capacity as 10x your Strength score. There's no penalty for exceeding it until you get to 20x at which point movement is slowed.

Yeah, I am aware of the rule, but its weird that the 'max weight' they list below the character isn't the actual max weight. Its different for each of my characters, so its not some basic across the board amount. Especially since people may start selling stuff off when they get close to it, not realizing that its not the actual cap.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
DA:O >>>>>> DA2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x ∞ DA:I infact inquisition was honestly a big disappointment. It was so stream lined railed, that you really had no choice or option in the game except minor stuff.

DA:O you had the freedom to litterally do anything you wanted.
Want to slaughter the town, go ahead.
Want to play the messiah, go ahead.
Want to kill off your companions, again go ahead.

Nothing really came close to DA:O except probably skyrim, which which is epic in itself.

But if you enjoyed DA:I, oh man... BG3 will be a game changer for you if they continue with how its is up to act one, which btw i am done with and wanting more already.

Honestly i think BG3 is much more well polished in player freedom then Divinity.
Its litterally a game where you can do whatever you darn well please, until you get pwned.
Probably why I got used to inquisition was that it was lined railed to a point where I knew what I was supposed to do. But yea it was limited in gameplay and the quests were not interesting. The story also was not captivating to me either.

I like these type of games but it takes me a lot of time to get into them because I have to learn how to create my character, what skills to chose, etc. Coming in new, they aren't the type of games you can just pick up and play. You kind of have to have a background knowledge. But there are several YouTube series that go over pretty much everything required.

For example, I found Majorslacks DOS 2 videos very informative. Which I'm going through them now to prepare me for when I actually get into the game.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Whoever is speaking, whether its the PC or companion, will use their own stats and proficencies. If you want to make an Arcana check and you are playing a Fighter without training in Arcana, its better to send Gale the wizard to make that check. Your companions won't but in and offer assistance. This is one of things I'm going to post to Larian that they should consider changing.

Thanks for confirming. I can't imagine that this is intended behavior so it will most likely get fixed at some point during development.

Sounds like a good game, but I am going to hold off until Christmas or so before I try it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Did a little experimenting with weight and carrying capacity. Looks like you character can carry double the listed weight in gear before being slowed but once you reach your listed weight capacity you cannot loot anything. So if STR is 10 and carrying capacity is 100 then once I hit 100# of gear I can't loot anything off corpses but I can still burden the character with another 100# of gear by transferring it from other characters.

Super weird design choice, assuming it's not a bug.

Reactions: Stuka87

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I am really enjoying this game.
It feels like Dragons Age Origins.
The cheap jabs done by Lae'zel and Shadow remind me of the jabs Morrigan did against Oghren.

Only sad its one act, and it was priced at a full release, but i guess i bought it to support the developers.
FWIW, to my knowledge you bought the full game, but only the first act is available during the early access period.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Now that I'm playing DOS 2 and actually enjoying not more than I did DOS 1, I think I'll also like this game too. Not sure when full release will be but I heard it's about a year away?