Bad foruming experiences

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I have very bad experiences in forums recently. I have been banned twice. First forum that I was banned from was Tom's hardware, the 2nd was Linustechtips. Reason? First time was for "fanboying" I said AMD offers the best products at the low budget range and Intel is my least favorite company because they overcharge their newest chips while barely made a 5% improvement over the previous generation. Majority of the users, all whom have enthusiastic rigs that, naturally, run on the latest i7s, called me AMD fanboy, and pointed out my user name as proof. I said I like AMD products for a reason and a flaming debate soon followed. You should note that no insults were fling. I was polite and the ones I argued with, although very antagonistic towards me, did not say anything more than that I was an AMD fanboy. Later a mod came, and banned me for "fanboying". The reason explicitly stated that my comments reeked of fanboyism and i should stop. It was only a three day banned. However I did not find my posts conflicted with the terms of services or any of the rules. I decided that I was simply not welcome on that forum and left.

I then switched over to Linustechtips Forum, this time I learned better than to outright speak in favor of AMD. I tried my best to contribute. I helped out members with troubleshooting, regardless if their rigs are intel, amd, or nvidia. I offer suggestions when someone asked what to purachse, as objectively as i could. I even recommended i5s and i7s to several forum members if budget isn't their concern. However, i adamantly believe AMD offers the best value for a budget build and pointed out in one of my recommendations which i said if one's budget is limited, it's better to grab an AMD cpu and used the difference for a better graphic card. That's when several members, whom like the last time were enthusiastic builders, began posting that AMD cpus are terrible because of ipc and such and such. One even had an avatar that has the caption "Want to hear a joke? AMD cpu" under it.

Soon a flaming debate occurs again, this time, vastly different than the the last time in tom's hardware. They weren't simply antagonistic but outright insulting. One mention that an amd rig with 6300, motherboard, and cooler cost 300 dollars, which simply isn't true. I tried to offer rebuttal by posting the components i built my own rig with and they outright belittle me by posting they wouldn't recommend these components even to their worst enemies. One was worse than the others; he yelled insults like "dumbass, "idiots", ect ect. Note, I still refrain from throwing insults back at them and did nothing more than to tell them be civil because i don't argue with immature kids who calls names. Mods came and then closed the thread. I figure that was over and done with, only to log back in a few minutes later and discover i was banned. Reason? "Trolling" The mods said my name was provocative and my posts equally so. No warning, no nothing. It was a permanent ban.

I tried to appealed the banned by creating another account because the one that was banned wouldn't even allow me into the site. I contacted the mod, apologize for creating a second account and if my posts offend anyone. I message the appeal to several mods, not just one. only one repled and all he said was that " this occurrence with you is under internal discussion" Normally, a ban appeal is display transparently in the corresponding discussion which all parties can view. This wasn't the case with me. They spoke in a separate discussion wich i could not see. Two days later, i found my 2nd account was ip banned as well. This time, they gave no reason at all or replies. I was very frustrated by this point. I could guess why. The ones i argue with are many. It was like 4 or 5 of them vs just me. The one who yelled out insult was quite popular there. He had like one thousand followers and 2 thousands posts. Mods sided with them.

I believe forums should not ban members because of the various opinions they offer. If disagreement are there, there are ways which we can discuss civilly and constructively. I don't understand why there so such antagonism simply from arguing for a consumer brand. Many take it so personally and it became an interpersonal conflict that should never have been. If a senior member yells insults at someone and a mod sees it, the mod should take a harsher action against that member than a newcomer because you'll expect better of a veteran than a newbie even if he happens to be popular. Anyway that is how i think and feel.

What do you guys think? Do you believe my username is truly too provocative? Do you believe I should keep my mouth shut and keep my opinions to myself because they are not popular? I am thinking of starting my own forum at this point. This way i can discuss my opinion openly with my friends and others without the fear of an ip banned. I've been subjected to quite a few mean comments and harsh bans that i found to be very hurtful. :'(

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I believe forums should not ban members because of the various opinions they offer.

hoo boy

What do you guys think? Do you believe my username is truly too provocative?

nah, we have a number of amd fanbois here and they are treated with respect as far as i have seen

i used to sort of be one myself, until core2duo. i still stick with AMD GPUs though.

Last edited:

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Stop caring too much about silly hardware. Who gives a shit?
Make your life and your username revolve around something else in life, something worth doing.

LevelSea

Jan 29, 2013
AMD products aren't fit for third world countries. TI calculators offer a better performance for your dollar.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
i used to sort of be one myself, until core2duo.

Same here. The first rig I ever built was a 1.4ghz Tbird. I was a big AMD fanboy at the time, but then the tide shifted & Intel started pushing performance & efficiency at a reasonable price. Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i-series, etc. I haven't touched an AMD rig in years. Even with GPU's, I work with engineers a lot & have had a much better experience with business support from NVIDIA's GPU offerings, as well as for PC gaming, Hackintosh, etc. The only thing I've grown to count on over the years is that things change, and that it's okay for my opinion to change over time as the situation changes & as I get new information that changes how I see things.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Going by the name you apparently haven't learned.

Even though you offered advice on all hardware setups, and thats great and all, but I don't think people need to root for hardware vendors like an NFL team.

I actually think you'd get in trouble if it was the other way and you liked Intel.

Except for that one case on tomshardware, I do believe it was a known thing where they had a strong Intel bias.

Theoretically I think this forum has a small apple bias so it wouldn't matter much about Intel vs AMD. Even if you don't like apple (I don't really, prefer droids & kindle) this forum is rather laid back so not a big deal unless its like literally all you talk about. You seem a bit obsessive so... yeeaaahhh.

Last edited:

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
3idMQcc.gif

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Do you believe I should keep my mouth shut and keep my opinions to myself because they are not popular? I am thinking of starting my own forum this point. This way i can discussion my opinion openly with my friends and others without the fear of an ip banned. I've been to quite a few mean comments and harsh bans that i found to be very hurtful. :'(

You have to grow a thick skin to survive on the Internet, which can be a cold, cruel place. You open yourself up to everyone from legitimate Einsteins to angry 14-year-olds & trolls of all kinds. You're more than welcome to poke the bear & start fights on other forums for entertainment, but if you're interested in a particular topic, like AMD, then you'll do better if you find an environment where other people like it too. Try Reddit & IRC if you like to chat about AMD stuff. There are plenty of AMD-specific forums & sub-forums out there as well. There are lots of places online that you can feel welcome & discuss your interests openly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/

https://community.amd.com/welcome

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
People can get very defensive about their hardware. It sounds like you weren't unreasonable, but I have found that the Internet requires a thick skin no matter what. There is a phrase, "Fight fire with fire." That's not to say fight them back, but fight your own sensitivities, which will prevent the arguments that cause the banning no matter how unfair it was. I remember when I first found the P&N section of this forum. I stupidly assumed that everyone knew that my opinion was just that and undeserving of criticism, but I got called every name in the book. It thickened my skin to see just how hateful people can be. It said everything about them and nothing about me.

You apparently can't get banned in P&N, but hardware forums are a different matter. My only advice; don't engage with people like that. People hate admitting that they might be wrong about anything, and will ban you before doing that. The budget-conscious need recommendations too, but defensiveness will always get in the way.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Theoretically I think this forum has a small apple bias so it wouldn't matter much about Intel vs AMD. Even if you don't like apple (I don't really, prefer droids & kindle) this forum is rather laid back so not a big deal unless its like literally all you talk about.

Yeah, and things change over time. I used to be super big into Macs...and now I'm a big Chromebook fan. Replaced all of my family's rigs with ChromeOS hardware for Christmas...RIP having to do family tech support ever again :biggrin:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
People can get very defensive about their hardware. It sounds like you weren't unreasonable, but I have found that the Internet requires a thick skin no matter what. There is a phrase, "Fight fire with fire." That's not to say fight them back, but fight your own sensitivities, which will prevent the arguments that cause the banning no matter how unfair it was. I remember when I first found the P&N section of this forum. I stupidly assumed that everyone knew that my opinion was just that and undeserving of criticism, but I got called every name in the book. It thickened my skin to see just how hateful people can be. It said everything about them and nothing about me.

I think one of the scariest things in the modern world is what happens when the spotlight of anonymous hate is cast upon you, especially in the real world via the media. Look at what happened to Adam Lanza's brother thanks to big news corps like CNN, who reported before verifying. They straight-up ruin people's lives with idiotic moves like that. And beyond the media, it just boils down to people acting like morons. Remember the guy who sold his truck to a local dealership & it ended up getting used by ISIS with his company logo on the side? He's been getting like a hundred angry voicemails & death threats a day because of that, has had his life & business ruined, and is having to sue the car company because of that:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-plumber-i-didnt-sell-my-truck-to-isis/

And even beyond that, it's amazing how we do terrible things IRL to each other. On a tangent, here we are in 2015 & Syria is looking like the post-apocalyptic future in movies, and for what? Because people can be jerks.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-drone-footage-shows-suburban-syria-looks-like-a-po-1749421675

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
A username like yours in a hardware forum is the equivalent of a man wearing a Pittsburgh Steeler jersey walking into a bar in Baltimore. He has to expect a little flak and/or he may get kicked out of the bar or worse.

IMHO fanboyism is completely stupid. #1 the company who's product you love doesn't give a damn about you. #2 Eventually you will switch brands and/or the company will go broke or it will be gobbled up by another company.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
A username like yours in a hardware forum is the equivalent of a man wearing a Pittsburgh Steeler jersey walking into a bar in Baltimore. He has to expect a little flak and/or he may get kicked out of the bar or worse.

IMHO fanboyism is completely stupid. #1 the company who's product you love doesn't give a damn about you. #2 Eventually you will switch brands and/or the company will go broke or it will be gobbled up by another company.

I saw users who have the name of their favorite football team as username in a football forum. I figure it shouldnt be so usual to have AMDBuyer or AMDisTheBest as my user name.

Last edited:

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015

Not that i care about the company, i just believe it makes great products which are extremely affordable.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
Going by the name you apparently haven't learned.

Even though you offered advice on all hardware setups, and thats great and all, but I don't think people need to root for hardware vendors like an NFL team.

I actually think you'd get in trouble if it was the other way and you liked Intel.

Except for that one case on tomshardware, I do believe it was a known thing where they had a strong Intel bias.

Theoretically I think this forum has a small apple bias so it wouldn't matter much about Intel vs AMD. Even if you don't like apple (I don't really, prefer droids & kindle) this forum is rather laid back so not a big deal unless its like literally all you talk about. You seem a bit obsessive so... yeeaaahhh.

I am obsessed with the hardware. I root for AMD in the lower budget range, but thats it. In the GPU market, i am indifferent and i can swing both ways really, be it Nvida or AMD. In cpu market, i would not recommend 9590 over an i5. People that I argue with however.... They simply make fun of me for speaking for AMD regardless if I have valid reasons or not and then just call me a fanboy :(

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Personally, I could give a rats ass if soeone likes AMD or Intel. That's just dork shit to me. But it is true Intel is a faster Proc than AMD. LOL