awesome idea for stopping theives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
They wont even let you lay traps down for bears let a lone humans.

You crazy!

and lol @ "The Omen""

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
But, if instead you had the deterrent automatically call you on intrusion and you issued a command (pin sequence) and that started the gas and whatnot, that could still be legal... right?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
I've always wondered, would a FM200 system hooked to an alarm system be illegal? If the alarm trips, it locks all doors/windows and fills the house with argon gas using the furnace ducting system. That would be a great thief deterrent. Well, not exactly deterrent, but lets just say they would not be leaving the house with your stuff. :lol:

Would not really work if you have pets though...

www.burglarbomb.com

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: venkman
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
I thought setting booby trap type devices were illegal.

I saw this movie about this demon child, who was home by himself, found out his house was gonna get robbed and instead of calling the cops like a normal human, he set up all of those horrible, satanic bobbie traps for the robbers so they would suffer immensely for the rest of their life.

I think it was called "The Omen"

You sure you're not thinking of Home Alone?

tap tap

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: PlasmaBomb
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: TallBill
Spring guns are illegal.

MotionMan, Esq.

We're gonna have to start calling you "close but no cigar"

Why?

MotionMan

That link says it is illegal in England... not the US.

It was more of a reference to this, but I understand why you would not get the inference.

MotionMan

NeoAaronX

Aug 4, 2003

I saw this movie about this demon child, who was home by himself, found out his house was gonna get robbed and instead of calling the cops like a normal human, he set up all of those horrible, satanic bobbie traps for the robbers so they would suffer immensely for the rest of their life.

tap tap

Home Alone 3,..........?

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: NeoAaronX

tap tap

Home Alone 3,..........?

absolutely

DrawninwarD

Jul 5, 2008

No, he's thinking of Final Destination. Where the final destination of the robbers is the kid's house.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: PlasmaBomb
Originally posted by: TallBill
Spring guns are illegal.

MotionMan, Esq.

We're gonna have to start calling you "close but no cigar"

Why?

MotionMan

That link says it is illegal in England... not the US.

It was more of a reference to this, but I understand why you would not get the inference.

MotionMan

owned. :D

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I've always wondered, would a FM200 system hooked to an alarm system be illegal? If the alarm trips, it locks all doors/windows and fills the house with argon gas using the furnace ducting system. That would be a great thief deterrent. Well, not exactly deterrent, but lets just say they would not be leaving the house with your stuff. :lol:

Would not really work if you have pets though...

or if you were home...

Bu B3ar

Feb 12, 2009
If you hurt a burglar, you will be charged with a crime.

Example from my law class:

If someone is trying to sneak into your house to rob you, and he steps on a rake in your front yard and breaks his nose, you are liable for the damages caused to him.

So go ahead and kill him with your fancy system (that won't work btw) :D

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Bu B3ar

If someone is trying to sneak into your house to rob you, and he steps on a rake in your front yard and breaks his nose, you are liable for the damages caused to him.

Have you covered Katko v. Briney?

Do you know who gets the fox?

MotionMan

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah think we have that law here. IMO it's retarded. You should be allowed to protect your own property. They have zero right to be on it in first place especially if they are criminals and commiting crime.

Though I had a cop even tell me they usually side with the home owner in most situations.

The idea of the FM200 would be only if you're not home and it would be to protect your property. Would probably take a HUGE tank for it to work though...

A couple pitbulls would maybe be cheaper but more of a mess to cleanup after. The FM200 is very clean and the mess is gone with a quick call to the coroner. :p

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Bulk CO seems cheap.

Edit: Carbon Monoxide detectors can serve as an audible alarm, too. That's frugal!

phoenix79

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000

Yeah think we have that law here. IMO it's retarded. You should be allowed to protect your own property. They have zero right to be on it in first place especially if they are criminals and commiting crime.

Though I had a cop even tell me they usually side with the home owner in most situations.

The idea of the FM200 would be only if you're not home and it would be to protect your property. Would probably take a HUGE tank for it to work though...

A couple pitbulls would maybe be cheaper but more of a mess to cleanup after. The FM200 is very clean and the mess is gone with a quick call to the coroner. :p

Lol, I live in a castle doctrine state. Break into my house or car (yes the car is protected by extension as well) and you won't be walking out.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: keird
Bulk CO seems cheap.

Edit: Carbon Monoxide detectors can serve as an audible alarm, too. That's frugal!

Would that be about the size of an alternator?? ;)

I remember, years ago, that MAD magazine had an article about deterring thieves, where they drew a window with a spring loaded guillotine blade built into the top of the frame. Robber comes in through the window, breaks the beam of the trigger mechanism, and gets chopped in half by the blade. Perfect!! :thumbsup:

Of course, if MAD magazine says it will work, it WILL work!! :laugh: