Attn: Car Audio Enthusiasts...I need some advice

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
i brought up line drivers because you were talking about what to do in "theory" and in those situations, a line driver is probably the best way to go.

<< We're not talking sound comp, we don't need 8v line driver. But if you can get 4v compared to 2v for $50 more than why not? Compared to a high end unit, how much more will that $300 HU distort? >>

If you look at the top end excelons, they are 8v preout; no need for line driver anytime soon. I remember my good ol' 911 having 8v preouts.

<< Yet at the same time I've never seen a HU that has 4V FR outputs and a 2V sub output. Either all 3 are 2V or all 3 are 4V. >>

if you read into detail on most headunits, they will say the sub out is 2V. companies usualy say they have 4v preouts if their STEREO preouts are 4v.

<< On a further note I thought that line drivers make your system sound better because you can set your amp gains down and not push them so hard, thus getting cleaner sound. But with 2V outputs from the HU wouldn't you have the gains on the amp set higher than if you had 4V outputs? >>

line drivers offer a broader input range than can normaly be had from a headunit. yes, you would have to set the gain's higher for a 2v source, but in his case, it wouldn't make much of a difference as his particular set of speakers aren't exactly the most sensitive. if you want to understand gain better, think of it this way: imagine the rca input being your video card output to your monitor. now if it was 2v, then it would only fill half of your screen (assuming the amp hits saturation at 4v) whereas if you had 4v you would fill the whole screen. the gain can be the &quot;size&quot; setting on your monitor, stretching it out to fill the whole screen. and if you have CLEAN 2v sources, then raising the gain doesn't hurt much. Cheap 4v preouts may even be worse, and if like someone mentioned above, pioneer headunit preouts burn out under normal use, that could be a sign that maybe they shouldn't be trying to push the weak source to 4v. i would choose a rock solid clear 2v source over a shady barely making it 4v source any day. If you hadn't learned in car audio, numbers aren't always what they seem ^_^. take amps for example, i would rather get an xtant 4x50 amp than a jenson 4x200 amp any day to power my speakers.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I can see how the same also applies in HT, I'd take my Yamaha 60x5 over a JVC 100x5 anyday.

I'm looking at the eXcelon KDC-X915 on their webpage, looks like it only has 4.5V preouts. Can't find anything with 8V.

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
eh? wierd. i guess maybe they stopped doing the 8v preouts.. or they are quoting rms voltage now instead of peak over at kenwood. i know for a fact that while i was still competing, all the excelons were 8v pre-out like my 911. do i need to say it? i'm in love with my head unit. it rocks.

now if you are in love with your headunit more power to you! once you love your equipment, there is nothing else that matters, as long as you aren't giving it a one night stand after finding someting more attractive with more curves(or features) the next day ^_^. those kinds of relationships are expensive.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Guys, line drivers are good for one thing increased noise rejection capabilities, that's it. An amplifier has a gain to accept a wide range of input voltages. When the gain is adjusted properly the amp will do full power whether the input voltage is .5V or 8V. In my system I've used the 2V outputs on my Alpine deck and now use 10V line driver in my DEI EQ. I have noticed no difference in noise (actually there is none,) the line driver can reduce noise if it's there. Now the DEI EQ allows me to adjust sub volume (and x-o frequency) on the fly which is really nice.

For the original poster, email me and I'll search the car audio boards for used stuff and put together a killer system together for $800. I'm not affiliated with any of the sellers either, I'll slice right through all the BS in this thread and recommend great equipment.

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
i don't think that the original poster is keeping up with the thread ^_^. and in general i would be wary of any used equipment as i can't hear before i buy. i would think it would be a good idea to put used equipment through its paces before purchasing.

and on the fly crossover for the sub? oo. what is the slope on that unit? and do you run a processor besides your eq? and did you know that eq's can cause lots of distortion, depending on construction, but it is usually insignificant.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
It's a DEI 4500 EQ and the slope is 12db/octave. It only has a low-pass crossover so I use an MTX x-o (RT02A) for highpass since my amps have no onboard x-o's (PPI Art series.) If you're interested check out the DEI 5500 as it has both high and low-pass outputs. I actually had both units lying around and since I sold my Audio Control EQX I decided to use them. It's really nice to able to adjust sub volume on the fly. It also has an aux input so I can listen to a cassette or MP3 player (or any audio source for the matter.)

mpg

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
I thought I posted this but I guess I didn't

Speakers:

front Model #TS-A1665
Rear Model #TS-A6965

Rockford Fosgate Amp:

Punch Model #1X4004

and of course the Kenwood KDC-715S Headunit. Has anyone had personal experience with any of these peices of hardware? I get it installed tomarrow, I got my car alarm installed today. They never asked if I had a car alarm when I went to circut city, so I guess it doesn't matter, they will figure out that it does have one.

mpg

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
I just picked up the car from the audio shop and it sounds AMAZING, I don't even think i'll need a subwoofer. Thanks for all the help. The head unit is VERY COOL also! I'm in love. The only thing is it leaves nasty finger prints is there a vynil or something I can put over it so it doesn't smear?

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
nope. i woudn't take anything other than a cloth to wipe off your head unit, i know what yur talking about, and you will just have to deal with it. heh. thats good that you like your new system, its always a great feeling.