Attention Mid-Range System Builders - Updated 08/01/2015

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The lower voltage doesn't really matter much though. Of course it's preferable if it's just a few dollars more, but $16 more?

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Quick notice: I update my little layman's guide to reflect the release of Haswell and Nvidia's 7 series. I've also made some general refinements and corrected some grammatical and spelling mistakes.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Trevelyan take a look at Corsair Obsidian 350D as well, great microATX case right there if you don't need the sound proofing. The Define Mini is technically still "last gen", with the Define R4 and Arc Midi R2 having replaced their own "last gen" equivalents in the Fractal Design lineup, but no Define Mini R2 out yet. It's still a good case, but a bit overpriced IMHO.

As for the CPU and motherbaord, since you're not going to overclock, get
i5-4570 $200 or i5-4670 $220
Asrock H87M Pro4 $96

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Trevelyan take a look at Corsair Obsidian 350D as well, great microATX case right there if you don't need the sound proofing. The Define Mini is technically still "last gen", with the Define R4 and Arc Midi R2 having replaced their own "last gen" equivalents in the Fractal Design lineup, but no Define Mini R2 out yet. It's still a good case, but a bit overpriced IMHO.

As for the CPU and motherbaord, since you're not going to overclock, get
i5-4570 $200 or i5-4670 $220
Asrock H87M Pro4 $96

:thumbsup: very nice!

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Looks like I missed out on some really great combo deals... I'm going to wait until prices fall back down for a few items before I purchase...

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
New build, the very nice CPU+mobo and GPU deals ended. Went down to a much less expensive mobo (MSI Z87M-G43) to keep the price in check. Nice deals on the case and HDD+ODD though.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
What's considered an epic deal for a 7950? The only cheap one I see right now is the Sapphire on NE for $270, but I don't really like rebates either. I'm looking to upgrade from a 1GB 560 Ti and the 7950 seems to have a nice price to performance ratio and with a decent OC should be significantly faster. I'm patient; although I'm not really interesting in paying MSRP for the 9000 series if the rumors are true and they come out this year.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
What's considered an epic deal for a 7950? The only cheap one I see right now is the Sapphire on NE for $270, but I don't really like rebates either. I'm looking to upgrade from a 1GB 560 Ti and the 7950 seems to have a nice price to performance ratio and with a decent OC should be significantly faster. I'm patient; although I'm not really interesting in paying MSRP for the 9000 series if the rumors are true and they come out this year.

Normal price is ~$280 AR, so I guess an "epic deal" would be like $240 or so? I've never seen one go that low though.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
I'm slowly building my PC over the next month or two... I have the case, SSD, and PSU so far. What should I buy right now, and what should I wait for a deal on? I'm thinking of buying the ram now since that seems to be a good deal, and waiting for a better CPU/mobo combo to come up. What do you think?

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007

I bought mine around December 28th for either $270 or 280 after rebate. The price hasn't changed a whole lot since then, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a sudden price drop in the short term. If you did manage to find one for $250 or less I think that's about as good as it's going to get.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I'm slowly building my PC over the next month or two... I have the case, SSD, and PSU so far. What should I buy right now, and what should I wait for a deal on? I'm thinking of buying the ram now since that seems to be a good deal, and waiting for a better CPU/mobo combo to come up. What do you think?

I strongly recommend against buying parts piecemeal over a long period of time. This is because you will be outside of your retailer's return window (quick fix for DOA) and will have to deal with the manufacturer warranty (much slower). At least some part of the machine is always on a decent sale, so the pricing will work out on average.

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
Also in my opinion, you can get better parts at the time you actually need to assemble the PC. 1 month isn't that big of a deal, but any longer I would buy them all at once.

I'm personally waiting to buy parts for 4 PCs, will probably be the winter!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
New build posted. Got in on that great XFX 750W deal as well as a nice deal on the 7970. There's a good CPU+mobo combo and the HDD+ODD combo held, so I am a happy camper. :)

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
New build, jumped on a difference CPU+mobo combo. The glorious XFX PSU deal is also gone, so I swapped that to a TX650. None of my go-to cases are on sale so I went to the Rosewill Challenger. It's slightly gaudier than I would like, but it is a decent case.