** ATOT OFFICIAL STAR WARS EP. 2 Thread **

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
"how can palpatine/sidious be on the death star at the end...as WELL as in the senate???"

That was Coruscant, if you're talking about the end of Ep 2.

"the effects were only barely adequate"

I'd like to know what movie you think has effects that are very good?

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffSpicoli
Did they really have to make that tiger thing shred her clothes at midriff just to add some sex, and how come she wasn't bleeding when she was knocked out of the speeding ship? I could go on, especially about the cheesy scene with Anakin and his mom, but I won't. This movie sucked.

you suck

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
This movie opens up a lot of questions for how Episode 3 will play out. It really all depends on how much time there is between now and the next movie and also how much time will pass during the movie. Will they show anakin becoming Darth Vader. Will they show the Death Star ACTUALLY being built.

I pray to GOD that there are space battles in the next movie.

LiekOMG

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: neomits
This movie opens up a lot of questions for how Episode 3 will play out. It really all depends on how much time there is between now and the next movie and also how much time will pass during the movie. Will they show anakin becoming Darth Vader. Will they show the Death Star ACTUALLY being built.

I pray to GOD that there are space battles in the next movie.

I hope there are space battles too. But they had better be GOOD space battles. Not any of this "I can do a spin, thats a good trick. WHEEEEE!!" Anakin crap.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
More Spoilers for your fun and enjoyment!!!!!

From TheForce.net

Skywalker Ranch, Marian County, CA - Fans always look for insider jokes, puns and clues while watching Star Wars flicks. Here's just a sampling oof what's in Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones:
1. About those Millennium Falcons - The three forerunners of Han Solo's ship appear during the sequence when Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala go to Naboo. Keep your eyes to the left of the screen.

2. From field to far afield - There are large, bulbous computer-generated creatures called shaaks (sort of a cross between a cow and a big tick) living on the grassy knolls of Naboo that show up in other places. As a joke, special effects staffers turned one of them into an asteroid floating among myriad dangerous space rocks. Another is hidden among fighting machines during the film's climatic battle and set of fire.

3. The next voice you hear - Yes, that is Liam Neeson's deceased Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn you hear speaking from beyond during a lightsaber battle. George Lucas advises Qui-Gon's words reveal a plot point for the coming Episode 3.

Did anyone hear that last one?!?! I NEED to see it again to hear that!

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
As far as Yoda's skill being so great while he walks with a cane. Yoda has by all characters always been referred to as Master Yoda, there's a reason behind that. It's basically a form of misdirection, would you think a small little creature who walks with a cane could take you, no. He makes his opponent think he's weak when he's actually strong. Also as far as the absorbing the lightning/reshooting it thing, someone told me that shooting lightning is a force trick only the Sith use and requires alot of the presence of the Darkside to use. However Yoda is Yoda afterall and would have to have some way to counteract it. And as for Anakin losing so quickly against Dooku, Obi-Wan kept telling Anakin that he wasn't as good as he thought he was, and Dooku helped prove it. Plus it's a good plot point for Anakin turning, losing his arm will make him hunger for more power. And lastly everyone seems to wonder why Dooku is so much more powerful than Darth Maul and there should only be 2, a master and an apprentice. Darth Maul was never a Jedi, Dooku apparently used to be a Jedi and therefore once he turned, wouldn't have much to learn. I figure he could easily learn his excess power in ten years since the death of Maul. And yes even Obi-Wan said that he was under the impression that Sifo Dyas had died prior to the clone army being commisioned for the republic. Odds are it was Dooku's doing while he was being tempted by the Darkside. And as far as the Jedi council being unable to see that Palpatine is the Darth Sidious, I think that a Sith lord of the power of Sidious would be able to hide his own presnce quite well, even from Yoda. Ok, the last, last thing. The other reason Dooku is so powerful, if you heard during their fight, Yoda called Dooku his padouin (or however it's spelled), the man learned directly from Yoda for several years, and then turned to the Dark side. He'd most likely be pretty bad ass after that.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
"Yes, after the scene where Anakin dispatches 3 tuskin raiders...Yoda is meditating and he hears Qui Gons voice say "Anakin, Anakin"...then I believe that is Obi-Wans voice screaming "NOOOOoooooooooooo". The voice actually seemed to be sampled directly from Ep 1 when Qui Gonn was killed by Darth Maul. Was Qui Gonn possibly trying to reach out to Anakin at the moment he was killed, and Yoda was flashing back to that moment, possibly even delving into some of the pain tha Anakin is feeling about the loss of Qui Gon, and eventually his mother?"

I think the reason quigon says no is because to me this is the "turning point" I suppose you could say where Anakin slides into the Dark side. If you remember
in rotj the emperor keeps telling Luke to lash out and hit him with the dark side etc etc, well looks like anakin did the same thing, but didn't resist like luke did.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I have to see this movie again. I thought it was great. Thats all I have to say.

The young Jedi were really cool. I loved it how they all had blast helmets on and were deflecting blasts from a target droid in a very rythmic fashion. It reminded me of being in elementary school. Very well done.

Did we see Count Dooku in Episode 1, or had he already left the Jedi by then? Why did he leave? Who is sifo-dyas? So many unanswered questions, and I have to wait 3 years to learn the answers. I'm sure there is a script out there though, as Lucas is going to start shooting Episode 3 this summer. If anyone knows of a script, please point me to it via PM. Thanks.

Ryan

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
I just got back, and I must say that I am very dissappointed... oh well. Some parts were good, but the majority of it was really pretty bad, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan, believe me! ;)

I would rather Yoday have not fought with a light saber myself. I don't know if any of you also found that somewhat silly, but I always thought of Yoda as being to cool to even fight with a saber.

Oh, and Natalie Portman is HOT HOT HOT!!! :) She is smolderingly hot, wow!

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
I wonder who gave C-3P0 his "skin".

This is related to something that's been bugging me since Episode I. Anakin Skywalker -- Darth Vader -- built C-3PO. Yet this of course is never mentioned anywhere in the original trilogy. Also, in the beginning of ANH, R2-D2 and C-3PO act like they've never met Obi-Wan Kenobi nor even know who he is. Yet in Episodes I-II (and presumably III as well) they're gallavanting all over the galaxy with him. Furthermore, they're both pretty distressed about being on Tatooine (I think the term "God forsaken" is used) but that's where they're originally from. I know that droids can have memory wipes, but still this seems like a pretty important detail. Maybe they will be fried and their memories accidentally wiped in Episode III.

All in all, I think that it was a silly thing for Lucas to put R2-D2 and C-3PO in the first three episodes. Other random droids would have worked just as well IMO. Minor roles would have worked just as well to allow them to be the only two characters in all 9 episodes.

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I loved Ep II. I saw it at a sweet theater, front row of the balcony, no one in front of me, seat reclined, it was great.

It f'ing rocked :) I liked parts of Episode I, but was let down by large parts of it. Episode II was great. Yea there was a little slowness, and some corny lines, but Lucas did a much better job tying everything in to the backstory, I feel he redeemed himself for TPM. Great job using the music to set things up. I loved the action, the effects were better than Episode I ( I work in visual effects, so I caught a few flaws, but it was minor)

As far as the droids, go. I hope they clear that up by wiping their memory in Episode 3. I'll bet they have to, after Luke and Leia are born, and Anakin goes to the Dark Side, to protect the kids. That would make sense that they never remember being there on Tatooine, or who made them. What wont make sense is that Owen never remembers them. He lived with the thing for 10 years, an annoying droid like that would be hard to forget.

Yoda kicks ass. There really isn't much more to say about him. I loved that he used a lightsaber.

Anyone catch that tantrum that Anakin threw on Tatooine on the farm? That's Luke's workshop were he fixes up 3PO and R2 in ANH. Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru really are related, by marriage at least, that was always a question until now.

If I watch this one enough, my ranking of the movies could be:

ESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ

TPM

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile Okay, didn't that race of Cloners say that Jango Fett's only demand for allowing himself to be cloned was one, unaltered clone for himself? Which one REALLY got killed in the arena: Jingo or the unaltered Jingo clone?
The clone of Jango is Boba....

Saw the movie tonight. Dedpuhl's right. Boba Fett is a clone of Jengo Fett. It's blatantly obvious.

nik

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
About the droids... Owen and Beru probably forgot about 3P0 and R2 in the 20 to 30 years between episode 2 and episode 4. Furthermore, C3P0 gets a new set of skin, and Owen has probably seen a fair share of annoying protocol droids. It does make sense to wipe their memory as the droids know everything that happens... they'll probably be aware of where Luke and Leia are hidden, so their memories are wiped to protect the children. They are then given to the Organa family on Alderan and end up helping save the universe, so to speak.

Ryan

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
So I just watched ANH, not the butchered version where Greedo shoots first, but the old school pan and scan version that I've had for years.

A few inconsistencies came up, but nothing too big.

My biggest gripe, why didn't Chewie get a medal??? He walked out there with Luke and Han, but he didn't get a freaking medal?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: The Dancing Peacock
So I just watched ANH, not the butchered version where Greedo shoots first, but the old school pan and scan version that I've had for years.

My biggest gripe, why didn't Chewie get a medal??? He walked out there with Luke and Han, but he didn't get a freaking medal?

I'm guessing Peter Mayhew's costume wasn't sufficiently flexible for him to stoop down to Carrie Fisher's level. ;)

I'm not particularly fond of the inserted Jabba the Hutt scene either (even though I know it was part of the original screenplay), just because the CGI version doesn't look particularly Hutt-ish compared to the puppet Return of the Jedi version (Jabba seriously let himself go in the intervening years).

Dengar

Jun 13, 2000
Lets get one thing straight please...

Its not JINGO!

Its not JENGO!

ITS JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGO!

:p

I'm not particularly fond of the inserted Jabba the Hutt scene either (even though I know it was part of the original screenplay), just because the CGI version doesn't look particularly Hutt-ish compared to the puppet Return of the Jedi version (Jabba seriously let himself go in the intervening years).

You got to love at the end of that scene when Han says, "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being." This was because there was a human actor playing Jabba in the original reel. It's comedic in retrospect.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Dengar

Its not JINGO!

Its not JENGO!

Not to be confused with Django Fett, the famous Mandelorian guitarist.

zimmie6576

Apr 7, 2002
Originally posted by: dwell

You got to love at the end of that scene when Han says, "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being." This was because there was a human actor playing Jabba in the original reel. It's comedic in retrospect.

No, it was a joke because Jabba wasn't a human being. Like telling a friend who always lies to you that he is "a great politician".

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: The Dancing Peacock

Well did you know that..... :) Chewie wasn't even supposed to be a wookie to begin with? Lucas wasn't going to introduce Wookies until ROTJ where wookies would take the place of ewoks!!!!!!!! Image how much more badass that would have made ROTJ. The reason he didn't is because he didn't think SW would get that far in popularity and he wanted to use a Wookie in A movie so he just made Han's friend into one. Then later he couldn't use them because that would cause some conflict with Chewbacca and everything....

Something I heard....

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
As this is now the oficial Star Wars Episode II thread (stickified), I think it's a good place to post my review, so here goes...

***SPOILER ALERT***

Yeah, if you haven't seen the movie there might be spoilers here.

I saw the movie last night at 9:30. The movie theatre was packed. As the movie started there were the typical cheers and such, but everything quieted down when we got to reading the opening words fo the movie. The first part of the movie was mostly politics again as Amidala comes to Coruscant, and the lines said here were appropriately stiff and formal. However, Amidala and the Jedis protecting her never really get out of that stiff formal speech pattern, and all throughout the love story that follows Anakin and Padme they stay true to their formal, stiff, uppity speech patterns and never really express themselves. Anakin's advances are obvious to everyone in the theatre except for Amidala, and when he professes his love she gasps slightly (which is about the biggest emotional gap she could accomplish, methinks) then goes back to the stiff speech saying they can't pursue a relationship because they're not allowed. I wonder how these two ever could fall in love when they hardly say two words to each other. It almost reminds me of how some 'net geeks fall in love with people they talk to over AIM but never see, then meet one day and profess their undying love for each other. These two haven't seen each other in ten years, then spend a few days together and suddenly are madly in love? And what about the marriage scene at the end? Come on Ani, hit it and walk away...

As for Anakin's character, Hayden Christiansen was probably a good choice. I'm still not sure he was, but I think if I see the movie a few more times he'll start to grow on me. He's appropriately formal to the elders of the Jedi council, but a little bit irreverant to Obi-Wan, and kind of a spoiled prick sometimes. You get the feeling that he knows he's the chosen one, the one that will bring balance. He's not very emotional, simply because he has a sort of bland expression for most of the movie, so when he gets angry you can see it. I loved the anger and hatred he showed towards the sand people, then almost regret and bewilderment at his actions when describing them to Padme, yet you could see he still would have done the same thing if he had the choice again.

Padme, Natalie Portman, can be summed up in a few words. She's very attractive, and gets to show it more in this movie as her attire is a little less formal than when she was queen. She seems to enjoy showing a little skin, and the predominantly male audience seems to enjoy it too. Other than that, her character is basically just there, not really contributing a whole lot to the story. She's sure fun to look at, though :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi has grown up quite a bit in this movie. He is the master now, not Qui-Gon's apprentice, and he shows it. He is probably the most expressive character in the movie, aside from Jar Jar Binks, Mace Windu, and Yoda. Ewan McGregor brings life to the character, and is beginning to show how he will become the same character we all came to know and love who was played by Alec Guinness. Obi-Wan provides a little comic relief, plus bring us the flashes of brilliance with the lightsaber that we all saw in Episode I against Darth Maul. You can see the pain he feels as he can see his apprentice slipping away from him, away towards the dark side of the force. I give credit to Ewan here that although his lines are written in the same formal style as the rest of the characters, unlike Hayden and Natalis he brings life to the words and doesn't just spout them verbatim from the page.

The battle scene was phenomenal. Lucas throws the audience a curveball as we first see just Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan in the Geonosis arena agains the creatures in a gladitorial style battle. They look like they're going to lose the battle, then the Jedi step in (which totally rocked, BTW), then when the Jedi look lost, Yoda arrives with the clone army. Wow. The battle scene was just amazing, detailed, powerful, and any number of adjectives that can describe the sheer magnitude of computer graphics displayed in one scene. Seeing so many Jedi in one area at once, all fighting, was so very cool I don't even have words. But that wasn't all - the best scene was Yoda fighting Dooku. Oh man, Yoda was bouncing off the walls, fighting faster than anyone ever before, using powerful force powers, oh man I was impressed.

It seems hard to believe that George Lucas crammed so much story into so short a movie. Sometimes, especially at the beginning of the movie, it felt rushed, some of the scenes could have been longer, more detailed. It seemed like they were rushing through this part of the movie to get to the battle. I think if the movie was about five hours long it scould have done justice to all the story that was shown in two hours. BTW, I feel exactly the same about The Fellowship of the Ring. I guess two hours is the extreme stretch limit of the typical American person's attention span. Overall, I give it two thumbs up, and if I had a third thumb, that one would be up as well. I know this review is scatter brained, but it's been written over a period of a few hours while I worked this morning, so sorry. :)

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Dengar

Its not JINGO!

Its not JENGO!

WAIT!! I thought it was Jango

;)

Dengar

Jun 13, 2000
This is related to something that's been bugging me since Episode I. Anakin Skywalker -- Darth Vader -- built C-3PO. Yet this of course is never mentioned anywhere in the original trilogy. Also, in the beginning of ANH, R2-D2 and C-3PO act like they've never met Obi-Wan Kenobi nor even know who he is. Yet in Episodes I-II (and presumably III as well) they're gallavanting all over the galaxy with him. Furthermore, they're both pretty distressed about being on Tatooine (I think the term "God forsaken" is used) but that's where they're originally from. I know that droids can have memory wipes, but still this seems like a pretty important detail. Maybe they will be fried and their memories accidentally wiped in Episode III.

Here is an even better tidbit about this. In episode 4, Ben Kenobi specifically tells Luke he doesnt remember owning a droid when he meets C3PO and R2D2.

Dont tell me Ben got a memory wipe too :)

Shagger

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2001
GermyBoy - I hope George Lucas sees my rant and comes to my door to "kick my a$$" like in Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, so that I can really give him what he deserves, a huge kick in the crotch.

Can you give me a PM when George is expected to come by? I also would like to drill him in the 'nads once or twice for good measure. Then I will mess up his HAIR! That ought to do it!