++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7410 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well that sucks one of my Christmas light strings just died. They don't make these repairable anymore either, you can't even change the bulbs. One of these days I want to research injection molding and just make my own. The incandescents burn out so fast and are harder to get, and the LED ones are not bright enough and apparently don't last more than a few years.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Truck also making some serious rattling noise I can't figure out where it's coming from. They just don't build things that last anymore. That truck was a problem from the start though, I think I got jipped on that. Still paying that thing off too. I hope it at least lasts me until after it's paid off.

If I can find a property sooner rather than later at least I could build a garage and then fix it up. Would be a while until I'm fully setup for that though or have the money to even build one.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So the package from Calgary is now in Concorde. It's kind of annoying to think that the truck literally drove by my city to go there and now the package will sit there for a while probably. But at least I'm seeing activity and it's in Ontario lol.

Scheduled delivery is the 23rd so I probably should not get my hopes up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's actually in Hamilton now! Did not figure it would go anywhere today. Guess they're working overtime at the sorting facilities. The other is still in Concorde. That's where packages go to spend a vacation for a week. lol.

The race is on!

The one in Hamilton is actually scheduled for tomorrow, I just hope it shows up before I go to work. Would be nice if I can have enough time to at least slide them in the server. Then I can do the testing and replacement from work over night.

When the other two come in I'll have to decide if I keep them as spares or just make the array bigger. Kind of tempting to just make it bigger... but I do have a couple other drives with errors so I should probably keep them as spares.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just realized this is my last night off until Christmas. Might be a good night to watch Home Alone 1 and 2 back to back. It's practically a tradition at this point, I watch those almost every year lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The package that was in Calgary is now in North Bay, and the one from Toronto is now on vehicle for delivery. Hope they deliver before 6 though.... I work tonight.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I showed up early for my interview. Recruiter is of course late.
Why they wanted to see me on a Friday at 4pm I will never understand.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yay my 2 drives arrived! Going to let them sit for a bit so they warm up and in the meantime I can check my spreadsheet to see where the failed drives are located in the array so I pull the right one out. That part is always a little nervewracking. Downside of DIY raid arrays like this is you don't really have the red light to tell you what drive failed. I just keep track of each serial number and what slot number it's in so it's a manual process.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Was able to get the new drives into the NAS right before coming in to work. That part went successfully now on to the next step of error testing them before inserting them into the array.

This almost feels like some sort of NASA mission where every step needs to be taken carefully lol. I should probably make an actual check list for this tbh. I always just know what to do, but it would be easy to miss a step such as updating the spreadsheet, which would burn me later.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I got four new polo shirts. Two Tommy Hilfiger and two Polo. The TF Custom Fit fits the best while the TF Classic Fit fits the worst. I'm sending the classic fit shirt back, keeping the other three. I decided to give myself some new clothes. I buy t-shirts and shorts all the time.
Hadn't bought any dressier shirts since I lost weight. I got them in a medium. The classic fit shirt fits me like a tent. It's a good problem to have.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Was time for the big chop before Christmas. Trimmed the beard. :p

E36M3Ma.jpg

Hair length kind of creeped up on me too, really getting long. Pretty much the length I want, might go a tad longer.