++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7277 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
So turns out, I suck at drywalling. Every time I go to do a sheet something does not line up right so I'm shaving the edge a bit and it's overall a pretty botched job. Lots of plastering will be involved.... lol. That's why I'm doing the crawlspace first, for practice, which I apparently need.

Also I always assumed those little tabs on electrical boxes were so there is enough of the box that sticks out for drywall. Nope need to stick it out more than that. . All my boxes are too deep. I'll have to figure something out for that when it comes time to put the plates on.

You mean the gang boxes?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
This hand sanitizer they have at Home Depot has an oddly nostalgic smell but I can't figure where I've smelled that before. I didn't think of noticing the brand, I just used it and went on my way, but I can still get a whiff of it now.

That wasn't an employee. It was a dirty old man.

john_herbert__family_guy__by_frasier_and_niles_d8xrdbc-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zzuupp

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You mean the gang boxes?

Yeah they're all too deep. Too late to change it now, the insulation and vapour barrier is all done. I need like 1/4" more otherwise when I go to put the plate the sockets would be too far. Will have to use some kind of extender or shim. Every single time I've installed an electrical box I've used that tab as a guide, and I've been doing it wrong this whole time without realizing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well that sucks. Seems the video on my new RPI4 is screwed up. It only works intermittently. Playing around with the connector seems to get it going. This uses some really oddball cable size so it's not like I can just try another cable either. But even when I do get it working it dies after like 5 minutes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have the worst fucking luck with computer stuff. How can I not get a freaking RPI to work. Freaking 6 year olds can do it. I need to find a new hobby, something I can actually be good at.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had a weird dream last night lol. There was another, new pandemic, this time it was a viral infection but it was not as serious, but everyone was taking it more serious than they should, while at the same time forgetting about coronavirus. I was sitting in my bed on some kind of zoom chat talking about the new bacteria and saying how it's not that bad, but we have to keep worrying about corona because it's worse than the new one. At some point the corona virus started to show up in my bed and attack me. lmao.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Getting there with the drywall, it's definitly not my cup of tea as far as DIY jobs go, but working in the crawlspace and around all the stuff makes it worse. Once I finish the crawlspace, add shelving, and organize everything, and also clear out the basement section, the drywall there will go way faster and easier.

Back at it for a bit. I find I have to take lot of breaks because it's just so painful working always crowched. Getting too old for this. :p

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Getting there with the drywall, it's definitly not my cup of tea as far as DIY jobs go, but working in the crawlspace and around all the stuff makes it worse. Once I finish the crawlspace, add shelving, and organize everything, and also clear out the basement section, the drywall there will go way faster and easier.

Back at it for a bit. I find I have to take lot of breaks because it's just so painful working always crowched. Getting too old for this. :p

Trolls don't have to crouch. Who are you kidding?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So drywall is definitely not my expertise. Everything going so wrong and it's a pretty botched job. Working in the crawlspace does not help though. Hopefully when it comes time to do the basement it will go better.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Off grid bush properties seem to be selling fast. I have a feeling lot of people are starting to have the same idea as me, that staying in the city is just not long term sustainable, and the pandemic kind of lights a fire under your ass making you realize how bad it is to rely on the system. Things are not that bad but it could be much worse. Closing everything including grocery stores etc.

Really need to secure myself a piece of land while they are still selling for a decent price. I think demand is going to go up and it will be harder to find a good one. Next one I find that's road accessible and within my budget I think I will just buy it even if there's no water front. I kind of regret not putting an offer on that 140 acre one a while back. That one was kinda beyond my budget though, it was 75k if I recall.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Lots more places to loot in the city. You can only hope that supplies don't get cut to your cabin. How much fuel do you think that you could store and how long would it last? Do you think you could protect it from others that will come to take it? How sustainable do you think you could be? Look how often you have to repair your solar setup to your shed. My sister had solar off the grid up in the Upper Peninsula. It was hard. Now, imagine the same, but you could not order any supplies to do maintenance. Maybe it would be better if we just had competent leadership in our government we could have faired this crisis better.