++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 6300 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Just burned my first CD in a lot of years. Was looking for a spindle of them and couldn't find one. Seems that the last time I felt the need to do so, I bought a 5 pack of them. Probably why I still have four individual ones in cases. I used to burn so much media. I've pretty much gone discless for everything new. Giving an album to a co-worker. Funny thing is the guy doesn't have a CD player in his vehicle. Only radio. I usually send files from my phone via Bluetooth to my Alpine. He said his 2010 Chevy truck has only a radio and hand cranks for the window. Didn't know they still sold such options. I could see taking the radio only option if you had plans to swap out upon delivery. Weird.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just burned my first CD in a lot of years. Was looking for a spindle of them and couldn't find one. Seems that the last time I felt the need to do so, I bought a 5 pack of them. Probably why I still have four individual ones in cases. I used to burn so much media. I've pretty much gone discless for everything new. Giving an album to a co-worker. Funny thing is the guy doesn't have a CD player in his vehicle. Only radio. I usually send files from my phone via Bluetooth to my Alpine. He said his 2010 Chevy truck has only a radio and hand cranks for the window. Didn't know they still sold such options. I could see taking the radio only option if you had plans to swap out upon delivery. Weird.

I think I still have 500+ blank DVDs and CDs

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I think I still have 500+ blank DVDs and CDs

Yeah, I went discless and just stopped burning altogether. I have a BluRay burner, but it's there for just what if. Today is what if. LOL. I got computers in my bedroom, office and the HTPC in the living room. Also, three Fire TV devices. It's 2017 and I only play back discs that I already have. I had planned to put DVD/BD images on my new home server, but that's only hiatus for the moment.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have not burned anything in a while myself. I have a spindle of DVDs and CD-Rs and they will probably last my life time at this rate. :p

I used to have a "to burn" folder where I would keep stuff like program installers, and other data that I may need in the future, or if I do a clean install etc. When it got close to 700MB I would then burn it. But with my storage server and fact that I run Linux I don't really have a need for that stuff much. In fact I need to go through some of my old archive CDs and just put the data on my storage server. CDs aparantly have a 10 year life span, after that it's YMMV and most of my archive CDs are older than 10 years. Crazy when I think of it.

I think tapes probably make the best archival method, it's crossed my mind to look at a LTO setup. I would basically use it to do longer term backups, maybe like a monthly, rotate then and keep 1 per year indefinitely.