++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 561 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Better Nate than lever. :)

Maybe, and at least we have a big migration project he can assist with in the fall but otherwise, spring is usually pretty dead for me due to some of our events. The summer is where I get killed and it was ridiculous this year.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
That's how it starts :p

Meh, I just need to get vested in the huge chunk of $$ my employer gives me for retirement (not their match of my contribution; on top of their match, they give employees an amount equal to 10% of their income to invest). 80% vest happens in April and then 100% in April 2013. I figure I'll use the next 18 months to get my PMP and maybe manage a project or two and then move on either internally or elsewhere. I am just really burned out and need a change.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Careful. You might get what you wished for.

They won't get rid of me. They know I'm frustrated and needed help and they're responding to that need. We get hit in May or so with new app requests, plus we need to do yearly updates to existing apps, and usually must have them done by August.

It was getting too expensive to outsource it all the time and quite frankly, the consulting companies we've worked with suck. They make the apps way too complicated and rely too much on custom code and that makes support and upgrades much harder. I'm sure it is intentional on their part, however. In one case, I was told by my boss specifically not to do an app, as he wanted to test another consulting firm on it because of our bad experience with the previous firm. You know what? They didn't do a great job either.

Remember, all you aspiring Sharepoint devs out there -- custom code should be the course of last resort!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
We have a consulting company trying to fix the app my boss had them do because it just doesn't do what we need it to do. I honestly blame the business more than the consulting company because they didn't adequately test in my estimation. Still, even as the consulting company works on it, I am building a new version.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They won't get rid of me. They know I'm frustrated and needed help and they're responding to that need. We get hit in May or so with new app requests, plus we need to do yearly updates to existing apps, and usually must have them done by August.

It was getting too expensive to outsource it all the time and quite frankly, the consulting companies we've worked with suck. They make the apps way too complicated and rely too much on custom code and that makes support and upgrades much harder. I'm sure it is intentional on their part, however. In one case, I was told by my boss specifically not to do an app, as he wanted to test another consulting firm on it because of our bad experience with the previous firm. You know what? They didn't do a great job either.

Remember, all you aspiring Sharepoint devs out there -- custom code should be the course of last resort!

Lulz.

People are finally realising outsourcing is never as cheap as they think it is.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Lulz.

People are finally realising outsourcing is never as cheap as they think it is.

I think we're paying around $135/hr for contract resources. As far as hourly rates go, that's pretty cheap but still more expensive than hiring an employee and you have more control over work when the guy reports to you.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think we're paying around $135/hr for contract resources. As far as hourly rates go, that's pretty cheap but still more expensive than hiring an employee and you have more control over work when the guy reports to you.

auch... that is considered cheap? I am in the wrong market.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Maybe, and at least we have a big migration project he can assist with in the fall but otherwise, spring is usually pretty dead for me due to some of our events. The summer is where I get killed and it was ridiculous this year.

He??? You mean hot girl

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
8da5af5e-c86b-645f.jpg

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
So before my 2nd 460 arrives. I need to get my current card running without having graphicsenabler set to yes.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
auch... that is considered cheap? I am in the wrong market.

Most developer resources are more. Heck, I think we've even gotten it cheaper than $135/hr at times -- more like $125/hr. Keep in mind that the people don't see that -- they are getting to keep maybe 1/3 of that. That's why I've come to the realization that consulting probably isn't for me -- I'm not likely to exceed my comp package here and it is stressful and a PITA.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Most developer resources are more. Heck, I think we've even gotten it cheaper than $135/hr at times -- more like $125/hr. Keep in mind that the people don't see that -- they are getting to keep maybe 1/3 of that. That's why I've come to the realization that consulting probably isn't for me -- I'm not likely to exceed my comp package here and it is stressful and a PITA.

unless you are running your own show, no, consulting is not for you.