++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 492 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So, the projected 5 year lifespan of my server is up in a little under 1 year. Now that my new desktop is done and I've built 2 other PCs with a third being finalized, I am starting to think about a server replacement.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
So, the projected 5 year lifespan of my server is up in a little under 1 year. Now that my new desktop is done and I've built 2 other PCs with a third being finalized, I am starting to think about a server replacement.

...and of course you are thinking of a mac mini running os x server :D

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
...and of course you are thinking of a mac mini running os x server :D

No, in all likelihood, I am going to extend the life of the box a little longer. The main weakness it has is the lack of RAM expandability. I've got plenty of remaining drive space (about 1.2 TB) and even if I did use that up, I could expand it with the addition of one or two drive cages (the 4 X 2.5" in one 5.25 kind). It has a Q6600 and that is more than enough processor for my tasks.

At some point, though, I will need to make a decision whether to build a new one or discontinue it.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Over the course of the server's history, I have lost 2 drives (forgot about those earlier!) and 2 fans. It has been running 24/7 for over 4 years now and at some point, I imagine we might start seeing other failures.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
No, in all likelihood, I am going to extend the life of the box a little longer. The main weakness it has is the lack of RAM expandability. I've got plenty of remaining drive space (about 1.2 TB) and even if I did use that up, I could expand it with the addition of one or two drive cages (the 4 X 2.5" in one 5.25 kind). It has a Q6600 and that is more than enough processor for my tasks.

At some point, though, I will need to make a decision whether to build a new one or discontinue it.

Ah I forgot you do a lot of VM work

The dishwasher is run two out of every three days here.

When I lived with my parents I doubt we could go a day without running the dishwasher

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
In my career, I've seen a few SCSI backplanes croak. I am wondering if that will eventually happen to my SATA backplanes. Heck, I haven't even really checked the drive cage fans to see how they're doing.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Ah I forgot you do a lot of VM work

I do, but my new desktop was purposely equipped with 16 GB of RAM so I could move my development Sharepoint environment to it rather than a server. I actually have discontinued my HTPC/second server and given the components to my brother.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I had originally planned to look at an appliance approach -- maybe grab a mini-ITX board and just run a file server and my domain services (domain controller, DHCP, DNS, maybe a web server) on it. That would cut down on quite a bit of heat and with the 4 X 2.5" in a single 5.25 bay, I could stick a bunch of drives into a relatively small case.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I do, but my new desktop was purposely equipped with 16 GB of RAM so I could move my development Sharepoint environment to it rather than a server. I actually have discontinued my HTPC/second server and given the components to my brother.

I bought 16 gb of ram just to be able to multitask easier

I don't think I could.
As long as they respected my views and didnt push anything on me i would be fine

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I've become increasingly intolerant of ...well, pretty much everything, and that includes religion.

It's kinda irrelevant, I tend to think poorly of girls anyways.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
If I go the beast route, I'd probably load it with ESXi instead of Windows and make all Windows services run on VMs.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
The biggest reason I don't want another machine is the cost of powering it... I'm considering a nas of some sort though but not an entire machine