++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 479 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
before:
sDHMA.png

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
That's about $50 more than I was comfortable with. I have a few large size options (gallon containers) selected, because oz/$ ratios are about triple on large options.

Shipping is free too, so...

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
For enough soap to last... uh, years, lots of years, plus a no rinse cold weather soap that'll last two or three seasons (smallest size), a quick cleaner gallon that should also last a long time, and the rest of it is single size options.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
That would bring me up to...

Two five gallon buckets
Two grit guards
One big blue sponge
One sheepskin mitt w/thumb
Six yellow foam applicators
One 22oz spray bottle
Two 3'x4' waffle weave microfiber towels

32oz. no-rinse cold weather soap
128oz. citrus high strength soap
128oz. general purpose spray wash
200g fine grade clay

8oz. dark paste wax
16oz. sealant coat
16oz. gloss glaze

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
This does not give me a polish, or the orbital buffer and pads that would be required for a polish, plus would make a sealant much easier to apply. It does not give me dedicated leather care products, or dedicated glass cleaner, or dedicated tire cleaner/sealant, or special brushes. However, polish going into winter seems silly, the glaze is a cheap way to fake a polish, a sealant can be done by hand. The leather is in good condition, I have a glass cleaner at home, the wheels can be done with the general purpose spray (as can pretty much anything in the car), and a toothbrush and some rags can do everything special brushes can.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I don't plan on detailing becoming a way of life... but it's a lot cheaper to do it myself than pay someone else to do this, and I won't take it through the automated car washes.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
It's enough that I've gone from beating up on all four cylinder vehicles and large trucks to stomping all over anything that isn't a six or eight cylinder luxury or sports car.

I'm not a major dick, but I refuse to let people turn ahead of me if they'll be in my lane of travel, and I try to get ahead of people because my cruising speed is higher than 95% of drivers.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
does your car come in 4 cyl too? i heard one of those things wind up to pass someone today and it sounded tinny like a japanese motorbike.

Nope. G35, G37, and G25. All are V6, and the number is the displacement.

I do feel that there's a bit of a drone coming from the G35 though. It's not a deep rumble like some V6's.