++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7423 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just don't care. The stock market is legalized gambling anyways. It makes our world worse, not better. Why they trade shorts and longs in the first place? It should be illegal. I suppose that makes me a commie. LOL. The whole crooked thing needs more regulation.

Yeah but since the regulator is not regulating, it is good to see hedge funds get smacked.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you were local, this could all be yours!

2wGis73h.jpg

I had a Yamaha RP-U200 for many years. It finally broke. Was glad to be rid of it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been off the internet most of the day, went to visit my parents. The GME stuff has been fun indeed, I have lot of catching up to do. :p I heard Robinhood opened trading again.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The guy in the UPS thread doesn't understand about UPS. Some people can't be told anything. His UPS is not working after needing a new battery. So, bad UPS for not doing what he wanted it to do. Which was to keep on working. LOL

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The guy in the UPS thread doesn't understand about UPS. Some people can't be told anything. His UPS is not working after needing a new battery. So, bad UPS for not doing what he wanted it to do. Which was to keep on working. LOL

He is an idiot.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
He is an idiot.

I've been there. If you don't understand it's intended purpose, you get upset when the device fails. Hopefully, this is his learning experience. It's a cost of operation. If not, just plug it directly into the wall outlet. It's your call.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been trying to convince my dad that I need to upgrade the OS on his machine. Though the hard drive in it is IDE which tells me the mobo does not have SATA so I may need to just upgrade the whole machine while I'm at it. Since if I'm going to put something newer than XP I really want to put it on a SSD so the speed is at least equivalent at the end. Probably going to be stuck going windows 10 since even 7 is not supported anymore. Not a fan of 10 at all but I don't know if he could handle Linux and I rather stick to something "mainstream" anyway in case he decides to buy a piece of hardware or something that requires Windows.

He keeps getting hit with weird malware stuff though, like I don't know if it's actually being loaded in the machine or not as to me it looks clean, but there's twice now that he tries to go to FB and it loads this scary looking warning that he has a virus. It's a web page and it's a fake alert, but the fact that he gets it still tells me he may have something on his machine. I built that machine when I still lived there so it's over 10 years now. It's from an era when PCI and PCIe were coexisting on same motherboards. I forgot to check if there are sata ports though. I opened it so I can get a wifi adpter since they are switching their internet to cable and there is no coax jack near the computer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Been trying to convince my dad that I need to upgrade the OS on his machine. Though the hard drive in it is IDE which tells me the mobo does not have SATA so I may need to just upgrade the whole machine while I'm at it. Since if I'm going to put something newer than XP I really want to put it on a SSD so the speed is at least equivalent at the end. Probably going to be stuck going windows 10 since even 7 is not supported anymore. Not a fan of 10 at all but I don't know if he could handle Linux and I rather stick to something "mainstream" anyway in case he decides to buy a piece of hardware or something that requires Windows.

He keeps getting hit with weird malware stuff though, like I don't know if it's actually being loaded in the machine or not as to me it looks clean, but there's twice now that he tries to go to FB and it loads this scary looking warning that he has a virus. It's a web page and it's a fake alert, but the fact that he gets it still tells me he may have something on his machine. I built that machine when I still lived there so it's over 10 years now. It's from an era when PCI and PCIe were coexisting on same motherboards. I forgot to check if there are sata ports though. I opened it so I can get a wifi adpter since they are switching their internet to cable and there is no coax jack near the computer.

he needs a chromebook

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
he needs a chromebook

Those are crap and are super proprietary, and then after like 5 years they stop updating them and you're back to square one. I want to give him a normal OS on commodity hardware. Either way he has to put up with learning a new environment. Heck even if I was to just clean install XP, it's near impossible to make everything exactly the same as before.

The issue is lot of stuff refuses to support XP now. Was trying to setup his Gmail in Thunderbird and it refuses to update far enough because of the OS being XP, and Gmail refuses to work because Thunderbird is too old. Running into more and more stuff like that so think it's time to upgrade him.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Those are crap and are super proprietary, and then after like 5 years they stop updating them and you're back to square one. I want to give him a normal OS on commodity hardware. Either way he has to put up with learning a new environment. Heck even if I was to just clean install XP, it's near impossible to make everything exactly the same as before.

The issue is lot of stuff refuses to support XP now. Was trying to setup his Gmail in Thunderbird and it refuses to update far enough because of the OS being XP, and Gmail refuses to work because Thunderbird is too old. Running into more and more stuff like that so think it's time to upgrade him.

then just get a used laptop with win10. and fill desktop with icons.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002

Why haven't you hooked up dad long before now? You're telling me you couldn't cobble some box from your parts bin and give him an upgrade?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Why haven't you hooked up dad long before now? You're telling me you couldn't cobble some box from your parts bin and give him an upgrade?

That's basically what I'll be doing as I have a spare motherboard, cpu and ram that should work fine for them if the existing PC does not have SATA (I will need to check). Just need to order a PSU and SSD. He does not want a laptop. I did help my mom pick a laptop though to replace her ipad, which we ordered so they will be getting a laptop but it's not to replace the PC.

Basically one thing led to the other to cause the PC upgrade to be needed. Them switching ISPs means they will lose their email so they got a gmail instead, and while trying to configure it in thunderbird to try to make it feel the same as before, it refused to let me set it up in Thunderbird because it does not like the version of it (not sure what difference it makes, I doubt the email protocol changed much) so when I went to upgrade Thunderbird it would not let me either because it's running XP. So hence the reason I'll probably upgrade it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of OS updates, the next one is going to be my web server. CentOS repos don't work anymore so I can't update or even install anything anymore so I think it's time.

lmoFKxM.png

Been a good run though! Since it's a leased server the only way to do an upgrade is to lease another server so I can do a smoother migration and not be down during the entire time I'm setting up everything.

Though I'm thinking of writing a C++ app that will manage everything from a single config file then I should be able to auto configure everything from there. I will just have it setup so I specify what distro it configures for, since stuff like apache config files, dns etc differ between distros.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I randomly decided to make a cake. Didn't realize it needed vegetable oil. Didn't have that on hand but according to Google I can substitute coconut oil. Took an hour to melt it down lmao. Accidentally melted my measuring cup in the process. I suck so much at cooking that even making a cake mix I manage to almost set something on fire.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I randomly decided to make a cake. Didn't realize it needed vegetable oil. Didn't have that on hand but according to Google I can substitute coconut oil. Took an hour to melt it down lmao. Accidentally melted my measuring cup in the process. I suck so much at cooking that even making a cake mix I manage to almost set something on fire.

That is not a cake.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002

Is vegetable oil not in every Canuck's pantry? Or do you just order poutines all the time?