++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7370 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Finally watched the Saecano movie. I think it tied up the series well. OreGairu also finished well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I kinda want to try the new flight sim game though... that might force me to put win10 on my gaming machine. I think most newer games now are going to stop supporting 7 sadly. There's 3rd party apps to make the experience slightly bearable though. That, and extensive firewall rules to block the telemetry crap.

There's also a hacked version of 10 you can install that strips out all the crap. But not sure I would want to mess with that. The intentions are great, but I feel it throws in too many variables if troubleshooting an issue.

pfSense + pFBlockerNG + subacribed DSNBL list = no worries

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah I have pfsense so I can just make some rules. Don't know what the other things are.
Pfblockerng is a dns filter. You subscribe to lists of undesirable ips people compile and they just go nowhere. So my house doesn't call MS telemetry at all.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Another property popped up, 120 acres for 50k. Bit over an hour from here. Couple downsides though, no tree rights at all. I emailed MNR to see what that entails to decide if that would be a big issue for me, and if I can purchase them at a later date. Also the road is washed out due to a beaver dam collapse. But from pictures it does not look too bad so I will need to go for a drive to see how easy it would be to repair. Even if I spend like a grand on I can just factor it in as the cost of the property itself.

If I can find out more details like the legalities of repairing the road myself to ensure it's something I'm actually allowed to do, and the tree right thing, this might actually be a good one.

On night shifts for next 4 days though so it might sell by then.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Oh and pfsense is in a vm guest under MSServer 2012 datacenter.
I do have a licence for 2019, just haven't gotten around to upgrading.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I want to build a Maslow CNC then I remembered I failed art and woodworking in Junior High... this will not end well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OMFG will these fucking game companies agree to an SSO standard? why am I signing on to different platforms to play a game?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I uninstalled from battle.net hoping I can fix connectivity by installing from Origin. Nope. have to go back to battle.net

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You are the only guy I know that runs linux and not on some sort of dns blocker.

Just never been bothered. I run my own DNS so I can resolve local stuff, so it's not as simple as just redirecting DNS to a pihole or something. I want to keep using my own DNS, so I would need to basically find a source of bad hosts in a file that is easy to parse then generate a bunch of A records.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just never been bothered. I run my own DNS so I can resolve local stuff, so it's not as simple as just redirecting DNS to a pihole or something. I want to keep using my own DNS, so I would need to basically find a source of bad hosts in a file that is easy to parse then generate a bunch of A records.

Err that is what pfsense plus pFBlockerNG does for you...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Err that is what pfsense does for you...

Not using pfsense for DNS, already have Named/Bind setup I don't really want to switch everything over. I prefer splitting up services instead of putting all my eggs in one basket. PFsense is used for firewall and intervlan routing and that's about it.