++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7369 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Coding on dual 4k is going to be pretty sweet, I got this setup for that purpose and have not really used it for that yet lol. Though it makes working from home easier, don't need to drag the work monitors with me, only the PC.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kinda want to open a bottle of wine... but I would need to drink it all tonight since it's my last night off before I start work again lol. So probably a bad idea.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had a bit of a scare though, could not get into bios with both monitors plugged in but if I unplug one I can. Don't know what is up with that. Was also getting boot errors on the USB, but if I chose to verify media, it shows no errors, then booted fine into the live session.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kinda want to try the new flight sim game though... that might force me to put win10 on my gaming machine. I think most newer games now are going to stop supporting 7 sadly. There's 3rd party apps to make the experience slightly bearable though. That, and extensive firewall rules to block the telemetry crap.

There's also a hacked version of 10 you can install that strips out all the crap. But not sure I would want to mess with that. The intentions are great, but I feel it throws in too many variables if troubleshooting an issue.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Install done nef. Now moment of truth... booting into new system and getting both monitors to work properly.

The install is the easy part of a clean install. It's reconfiguring everything that sucks.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Pedey snuggling with his bear

juY2FDXl.jpg

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got monitors setup, firefox favourites back, file shares back.

Lots more stuff but getting there. Probably call it a night soon though, at least I got the basics done.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well stuff is more or less all setup now. I might be missing stuff but I will fix as I need it.

Biggest annoyance though with this distro is icons keep getting created on the top monitor even though the primary is bottom. And icon spacing in folders is all weird. Some folders they are super spaced out while some are normal. I don't know why Linux devs always have trouble with this sort of stuff, I have yet to find a distro where this stuff is proper. That is one of the few things Windows does better, it might be garbage now days, but at least is consistent garbage. :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow I can actually open my work schedule without fiddling around with "open with" now. In Kubuntu no matter what I did, the file association never stuck properly for excel files.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I gave up for the file attachement dragging. I seem to be the only one that gets that issue, it's weird though because no matter what distro I go to, I get it. I have to right click save as. More an annoyance than anything that something that simple does not work.

I really need to figure out the desktop icon issue though, new icons keep going to the top monitor instead of the primary one. That means if I create a new file or save something I need to manually move it to the main screen. That issue might be bad enough to make me seek another distro if I can't find a fix. I'm also missing ability to add colour schemes in some applications. I presume it's some package I need, but no idea what.

All and all though I mostly have everything working the way I want now.

At least I can copy and paste properly now. that issue was driving me up the wall. Something somewhere got corrupted in my last install it seems.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well it seems this clean install has solved lot of issues I had. The copy and paste issue is gone, that alone drove me insane. It seems my audio issue in Youtube is fixed too. Had a really annoying issue where if I had music playing and tried to do something else at same time it would do these random "skips" that were super annoying. Still early to tell though... my banking site used to cause it a lot, and that's down now so I can't test. File associations not saving was another issue and that too seems to be solved. So yeah things are looking good.

I really hope I can figure out the desktop icon placement issue though.