++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7364 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The Smart car would be appealing if it was a full EV that was affordable like say 25k or something. But from what I understand it's gas, and not even that efficient for it's size. So, not very smart lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn these properties sell fast. 2 of the 3 I inquired about are gone. The other looks like it may not be road accessible but on google maps the "trail" looks more like a road to me... I will go check it out tomorrow. There's another 40 acre property right next to it and there is a house on it. Seems promising to me that it may indeed be road accessible. Won't get my hopes up until I see it though. It's not a year round road but the rest of the roads to get there are.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Long term this will mean less debt. Costs of living keep going up, staying in town is not long term feasible financially. I'd like to be able to retire at a decent age and live off grid. Costs of living will be way lower and I'll have more for my money.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Will be a while until I can actually afford to build something year round livable though, but once I get to that point I could even humour the idea of getting a job in Cochrane which is going to be like 10 minutes away. Then I could live there and still have a job. Ex: not wait until I retire.

I like my current job and make good money, but all that money just goes towards bills and property taxes etc so not like I see any of it. This city is turning into trash, time to start thinking of an exit plan before I get stabbed or my house set on fire or something. There's been 2 acts of arson in the past 2 days, and countless thefts every single night. Saw police responding to a drug OD the other day on my way to work. Either that or a stabbing... saw ambulance, police, and crisis workers show up.

It's at a point where people are finding syringes right in their yards now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The crime increase seems to be getting bad everywhere though. One of our generators got stolen in Quebec while I was on night shifts. Caught the alarm but they left before the cops got there. Quite ballsy to steal a 50kw generator on a trailer with company logo on it... But they know nothing really happens if they get caught. Slap on the wrist and sent on their way.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bad idea to count your eggs before they're laid (or whatever that saying goes) but at current stock prices I can buy this property cash if I cash in the stocks. Going to wait for covid stuff to be over so stocks bounce back to normal though, selling now would be dumb as it would be at a loss.

Way I see it, people spend this kind of money on vehicles and high end trips and other stuff that is temporary and I don't.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Bad idea to count your eggs before they're laid (or whatever that saying goes) but at current stock prices I can buy this property cash if I cash in the stocks. Going to wait for covid stuff to be over so stocks bounce back to normal though, selling now would be dumb as it would be at a loss.

Way I see it, people spend this kind of money on vehicles and high end trips and other stuff that is temporary and I don't.

Err capital gain tax comes first.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Err capital gain tax comes first.

Yeah that part sucks but what can I do. I would probably want to cash small amounts at a time instead of cashing it all the same year. Not sure if it matters though I think the bracket is based on income so if I'm already on the higher bracket then I'll lose 33% or so either way. I would probably want to see my tax person to see what is the smartest way to take out the money to reduce tax load.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Does piss me off that the government basically re-taxes your money though. I technically already paid taxes on that when I originally earned it. Unless with the ESP they take it out pretax?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Damn these properties sell fast. 2 of the 3 I inquired about are gone. The other looks like it may not be road accessible but on google maps the "trail" looks more like a road to me... I will go check it out tomorrow. There's another 40 acre property right next to it and there is a house on it. Seems promising to me that it may indeed be road accessible. Won't get my hopes up until I see it though. It's not a year round road but the rest of the roads to get there are.
Just keep pressing F5.