++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7082 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They're announcing more snow and even freezing rain here. I hope we don't get the freezing rain that's the last thing we need. With all that stuff it's just going to weigh everything down and make it very hard to manage.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I didn't take off as much snow off the roof as I should have. Only took off maybe 2-3 feet worth off the top layer. Regretting that now as if we get rain on top it will make it near impossible to remove now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Probably a bad idea to do server stuff this late.

I almost rm -rf /home on the wrong server.

Thankfully it would not have been THAT disastrous, as it would just mean I'd have to use the copy on the cloned server which would be like a day old. Very worse case, go to backups, but restoring backups still sucks as all the file permission and ownership would be all messed up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well think I got it all working off the new VM now. Switched the IP and all. Going to unplug the ethernet cable off the old box when I get home to confirm everything is in fact working from the VM.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Home now, unplugged the physical server, and my email still works, so that's a good sign. Reenabled the fetchmail cron job. I think I'm good to go...

Going to give it a bit then I can officially turn it off and decomission that box. The cpu is old (core2quad) but does have VT-D so it's going to be nice to have a spare box I can test virtualization environments on. I want to look at moving to something more open, so I can eventually do clustering. Maybe Proxmox or something.

Reactions: bigboxes

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Morning nef.

Big winter storm impeding. Should be a fun night shift...

As a side note I powered off the server that I decommissioned. Should give me a bit more UPS run time if we get a power outage. Down to 3 amps on the big UPS now. 5 amps on the small one. Mining rigs will tend to do that. That one is just set to shut down if an outage lasts more than 30 seconds.