++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 505 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
My wife made this incredible punch last NYE. It was like drinking candy and I got completely drunk off it alone -- not to mention the beers I drank too.

I need to find mix drinks for my gf. She doesn't like anything you can taste the alcohol in

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I prefer white and I like sweet wines. Gertz (I won't even try to spell it out) is good and I tried a Vidal Blanc that I really liked on our wine tour, along with a few others. Riesling isn't too bad but I like them sweeter.

So far I tried a merlot and a cab merlot. I have a cabernet sauvignon as well as a merlot

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I find the taste of beer rather repulsive.

Beer flavor covers a huge range. If you've been drinking stuff like Coors or Miller, that stuff is repulsive. If you've had good microbrews such as a good porter, those are awesome.

I tried a new one the other day -- Maple Oat Ale. Good in very limited quantities but it overwhelms you quickly.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I need to find mix drinks for my gf. She doesn't like anything you can taste the alcohol in

There's a slight edge to a caipirinha, but I generally deviate from the established recipes by using more cachaca (3 oz vs. 2 oz), sugar, and ice. I make the best caipirinha I've ever tasted and that includes ones I tasted in Brazil.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Fucking. Hell.

I sold my iPhone 4S to guy who messaged me on ebay. Overnighted him the phone and he can't get it to work. Okay send it back to me and I'll refund you the money... Nope he wants me to refund him now.

Fuck that

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Beer flavor covers a huge range. If you've been drinking stuff like Coors or Miller, that stuff is repulsive. If you've had good microbrews such as a good porter, those are awesome.

I tried a new one the other day -- Maple Oat Ale. Good in very limited quantities but it overwhelms you quickly.

I've only tried a micro, Otter Creek... I think Copper Ale or something like that. It tasted so awful I've had little drive to try any other beers.

I've also smelled the Budweiser and Heineken my father drinks; the Bud is bad, the Heineken reminds me of a skunk.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I've only tried a micro, Otter Creek... I think Copper Ale or something like that. It tasted so awful I've had little drive to try any other beers.

I've also smelled the Budweiser and Heineken my father drinks; the Bud is bad, the Heineken reminds me of a skunk.

Try a honey wheat

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

One disturbing trend I've noticed at local brewpubs is the trend of making "mediciney" beers. They have very bitter taste, especially on the way down. I don't know how anyone can drink that shit. We went to Black Swan with the in-laws this weekend and we ordered a 5 beer sampler. Only two were slightly edible (one of which was the Maple Oat Ale); the others were the kind I'd pour on a wound if I didn't have peroxide around to clean it. :D

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Fucking. Hell.

I sold my iPhone 4S to guy who messaged me on ebay. Overnighted him the phone and he can't get it to work. Okay send it back to me and I'll refund you the money... Nope he wants me to refund him now.

Fuck that

Your first problem is selling something on eBay.

That's the only problem, actually.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
wtf... ugh I want to tell this guy to fuck off since it's not an official ebay trasaction

How is it not an official eBay transaction?

If he's okay with shipping it back, THEN receiving a refund, then you should do that. If he insists on a refund first, and eBay/PP won't step in on his behalf to rape you, then by all means, tell him to fuck off.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I want to move. Drop everything and move the fuck away.

But I can't. I have $5500 to pay off on a car, and $50000 or so in student loans, and such poor academic record nobody else would want me.

*sigh*

BACK TO BOOZE DISCUSSION!

Actually, given how depressed I tend to be, it's surprising I'm not a raging alcoholic.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Try a honey wheat

Here's my list of recommended beers:

Summer or needing some to pound down quickly for a buzz: Corona. Sure, it might be shit compared to other Mexican beers but it is awesome compared to macrobrew shit from Coors. Smooth, decent taste when cold, and doesn't give me headaches no matter how many I drink.

Seasonals: Sam Adams Summer Ale, Octoberfest, and Winterfest are generally very good.

Widely Available Beer to Enjoy: Bass Ale, on tap preferably. My favorite widely available beer.

Genres: I've taken a liking to porters and stouts lately, with Black Swan (local brewery) Robust Porter being my favorite. I do need to try Guinness again because I might like it now.

Other Favorites: Pacifico is my favorite Mexican beer. A little heavier than Corona but it has a great taste.

What to Avoid: Coors, Miller, most Bud products, Sam Adams Noble Pils (this is a "mediciney" beer)

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
What an asshole. I'd never refund money until I got the thing back.

noway i am sending before the refund

I told him not to contact me via email or phone unless he is returning the item for a refund. Also told him not to contact me unless he would like to return the item or I will have my attorney contact him due to harassment.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
If I want seasonals, I hail from the home of Sam Adams. :D

Sam Adams generally makes a good beer. I was shocked at how awful Noble Pils was, however. The Cherry Wheat is a bit hit or miss as well - it starts off good but soon, you feel like you're drinking Robitussin.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The one problem I have with Sam Adams beers (besides Noble Pils and Cherry Wheat) is that they generally give me headaches. Hoppy beers tend to do that to me for some reason (Sierra Nevada is another one that does).

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Three hours ago, I ate a heaping bowl of a vegetable, potato, and chicken mixture, along with a 16 oz. cup of milk.

I'm very hungry already.