++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 3301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
this ain't my first rodeo :colbert: :awe:

I already have a Merkur DE and a Dovo straightrazor, what I like most about this set is that it looks distinguished as fuck :D

Dovo huh?

Do you have the strap thing? Are those necessary or can you use something else to sharpen it?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was out in the rain walking my kid since he wanted to go trick or treating.

He doesn't even eat candy!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
given most of the candies did not get given out. I am going to need another bottle of antacids.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Dovo huh?

Do you have the strap thing? Are those necessary or can you use something else to sharpen it?

you use a strop every time prior to shaving to realign and polish the edge, it'll last a long time if you bought a quality one and you take care of it (a good strop will outlast you).

when you sharpen the razor (which is called honing), you use wetstones. Honing in itself is an art and you can have a professional do it for you, some places will do it for free on any razor you bought from them. I don't hone my own blade yet, I'm still perfecting all the other skills, but when I feel comfortable I'll give honing a go. How often you need to hone it depends mostly on on your usage, but if you use it everyday you're probably looking at every three months, I only do it once or twice a year because I only use my straight on weekends.

you can also use abrasive paste on the strop to sharpen it, but that is not the recommended method, supposedly it won't give the edge anywhere near the same longevity and you have to do it more often.