++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 3299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Looks like a ho-hum transceiver chassis found on pleasure craft. Auto sound system amps look like that.

Now if it were a Trimble card mounted in a 3cm thick Ti chassis...

I think you'd be pleased with my plan.

I'm installing it in an aluminum trailer. The trailer is roughly 5'6" high. I am mounting a solar panel on the roof of the sign and running the power from that to a motorcycle battery. Then I'm running the power from the battery to this. I am also hooking up the constant power from the trailer lights to help with charging the battery.

So in theory, the device will be self sustaining. No need to charge it ever. And if I can eventually find a beefy enough solar panel, I'll be adding lights to the interior of the sign, so the sign will be backlit.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
We are not all billionaires like you Herr President!

Everyone is a billionaire, heck try trillionaire, if the metric is bacteria! :biggrin:

The same could be said about bytes...

Dollars? Who needs those, they are fake anyhow. ;)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I think you'd be pleased with my plan.

I'm installing it in an aluminum trailer. The trailer is roughly 5'6" high. I am mounting a solar panel on the roof of the sign and running the power from that to a motorcycle battery. Then I'm running the power from the battery to this. I am also hooking up the constant power from the trailer lights to help with charging the battery.

So in theory, the device will be self sustaining. No need to charge it ever. And if I can eventually find a beefy enough solar panel, I'll be adding lights to the interior of the sign, so the sign will be backlit.

Careful using motorcycle batts, even AGM types. You should use SLA as they can tolerate deeper cycles between float charges. ;)

Better yet Li-Ion!

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Careful using motorcycle batts, even AGM types. You should use SLA as they can tolerate deeper cycles between float charges. ;)

it will basically be trickle charged a lot. ~8 hours during the winter months via the solar panel and then a good recharge when the trailer is connected to power.

I just have to figure out how to tap into the trailer light power without powering them. Me thinks I might need a relay.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
it will basically be trickle charged a lot. ~8 hours during the winter months via the solar panel and then a good recharge when the trailer is connected to power.

I just have to figure out how to tap into the trailer light power without powering them. Me thinks I might need a relay.

Or isolate them with diodes.

Apr 12, 2010
I wish I picked a better url when I made that channel. But I was already wasting several hours at the time while I was sitting at McDonald's all night & wanted to get on with getting shit done.
Since then I've come up with dozens of better names.
I also don't know why I didn't think to use J4TFOI for short instead. But I tried to make a channel with that url & it was already taken.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I wish I picked a better url when I made that channel. But I was already wasting several hours at the time while I was sitting at McDonald's all night & wanted to get on with getting shit done.
Since then I've come up with dozens of better names.
I also don't know why I didn't think to use J4TFOI for short instead. But I tried to make a channel with that url & it was already taken.

If it helps, I've never clicked on your channel