++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 1788 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
So everything went well?

Well I did what indy suggested, went to my boss and told him I screwed up, and presented him with correct data, he accepted it but still has'nt been reamed by the client, so I still have to see how that goes.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
$78 to fill up today
$3 for fuel injection cleaner (every little bit helps right?)
$1 for a cheap energy drink
$1.69 for a large fountain pop

Was I out of line for asking for a deal on the fountain pop?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Well I did what indy suggested, went to my boss and told him I screwed up, and presented him with correct data, he accepted it but still has'nt been reamed by the client, so I still have to see how that goes.

Just apologize a couple more times and offer to do whatever it takes to make it right and all will be forgotten.

Let me tell you a story of one of my biggest mistakes. I started at a company and the second week I was there, they wanted me to upgrade the help desk ticketing system (Remedy -- god that sucks!) and install it on a new server. I had no Remedy experience and thought "Sure, what the hell."

So I built the new server and was having issues with the configuration. So I pulled up the production server in one window and the new server in another window. I decided I had made a mistake in my SQL install on the new server and wanted to start over. So I uninstalled SQL....

Guess what? I uninstalled the PRODUCTION SQL server -- I selected the wrong window when I did the uninstall. It was my second or third week there and I almost broke down I was so upset. It took me a few days to get everything back up, but I got it all up and running and all was forgotten. When I left, I was the best employee in the department and they loved me and that wasn't even the only mistake I made. :)

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Just apologize a couple more times and offer to do whatever it takes to make it right and all will be forgotten.

Let me tell you a story of one of my biggest mistakes. I started at a company and the second week I was there, they wanted me to upgrade the help desk ticketing system (Remedy -- god that sucks!) and install it on a new server. I had no Remedy experience and thought "Sure, what the hell."

So I built the new server and was having issues with the configuration. So I pulled up the production server in one window and the new server in another window. I decided I had made a mistake in my SQL install on the new server and wanted to start over. So I uninstalled SQL....

Guess what? I uninstalled the PRODUCTION SQL server -- I selected the wrong window when I did the uninstall. It was my second or third week there and I almost broke down I was so upset. It took me a few days to get everything back up, but I got it all up and running and all was forgotten. When I left, I was the best employee in the department and they loved me and that wasn't even the only mistake I made. :)

Most bosses I've had judge you based on how you handle your mistakes. If you make a real good one, then you really get to showcase your talents!

I tell all of my bosses upfront that I am going to make mistakes. I promise that they will be nice mistakes...some that make you wonder if I was trying to screw up. But none will be because I was trying to take a shortcut and none will ever be repeated.

They always laugh at me until they get a feedback form that takes their words away.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005

I always get nervous around live systems

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
We have a parking garage that has 2 entrances/exits. In the evening, one is closed to normal traffic and only people with passes are allowed out since there is no attendant there and we have the electronic things which open the gate. They also post a big sign stating this.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Anyway, a van pulls up to the booth in front of me. It is clear she has not read the sign and since there is no attendant there, she can't get out. So I pull back and honk my horn at her and wave her back so she can back up.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
She still isn't getting the picture -- she backs up about 6 feet and then just stops and pulls CLOSER to the parking attendant office (no one is there!). So I honk again and motion her back.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Unbeknownst to me, there was an SUV that had come in perpendicular to me and pulled really close to my door as I was backing up for the lady. I ignored him at first, thinking he didn't know what was going on. So then he started yelling at me.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I could not understand what he was saying and I asked him to repeat it 2 or 3 times. He finally gets out and walks up to my door and says it again. I couldn't understand it again and asked him to repeat it. I finally understood him: "Quit fucking honkin' at my auntie!" and he came at me threateningly.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
You don't talk that way to me, especially when I was honking at her to catch her attention and I was motioning her to back up.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
He was a little black guy. I'm old and out-of-shape, but if it would've come to a fight, it was over if I got him on the ground. Fortunately it did not come to that.