ATI's real answer to GTX480?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Does ATI need an 'answer' to the GX480? By all reports, though mostly rumors, the 480 will be hot, power hungry, and expensive to manufacture. Contrast this is continuously improving yields on ATI's 40nm process, which has been refined considerably from launch, and ATI can easily cut prices to undercut Nvidia. Obviously, there will always be people who want the fastest card possible, regardless of the cost, but most people tend to go for bang for the buck. That means Radeons.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Does ATI need an 'answer' to the GX480? By all reports, though mostly rumors, the 480 will be hot, power hungry, and expensive to manufacture. Contrast this is continuously improving yields on ATI's 40nm process, which has been refined considerably from launch, and ATI can easily cut prices to undercut Nvidia. Obviously, there will always be people who want the fastest card possible, regardless of the cost, but most people tend to go for bang for the buck. That means Radeons.

Yep the lower priced cards always are the money maker and ATI has one in practically every price category. Nvidia has well rebadges yet again. I wonder if we can even expect low power/cheap Fermi's in 6 months.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Just like the MARS GTX 295 this will most likely be out of reach for most people :( This is ASUS's answer, not ATI's.....

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Yep the lower priced cards always are the money maker and ATI has one in practically every price category. Nvidia has well rebadges yet again. I wonder if we can even expect low power/cheap Fermi's in 6 months.

Exactly like the GT200b, seems like with nVidia showing up so late you might as well wait for a 28 nm version that would solve the heat and power issues. That's assuming there issues no one knows for sure yet.

eklock2000

Jan 11, 2007
It's alive at Cebit...

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/14368/asus_ares_hd_5970_gets_benchmarked/index.html

"The card has dual HD 5870 GPUs on one board each with their own 2GB of VRAM. Other really good news is that the dual GPU card will not be a limited edition. You can start saving your loot and as long as there is demand, Asus will build the card. The card reportedly scores over 14,000 points with Extreme settings in 3DMark Vantage."

More pics from the source article :awe:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,705735/Asus-Ares-HD-5970-done-right-first-benchmarks/News/

EK2K

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2010
www.google.com

Nvidia's next-generation enthusiast GPU family will likely cost >$1,000 per graphics card.

I thought that they were called the GTX 3xx series, not the GTX 4xx series.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Oh my ? 5990 ? but honestly they dont need to answer to Fermi, they have their 5970 and are happy with it.

I bet this vid and this new techie will pownz games for years to come. These cards are twice as fast as a 295 ... :)

ExcaliburMM

Jan 24, 2009
www.Staredit.net
See, they should just stop at 2x 6pin and either make a new kind of connector (16pin?) or just use an existing connector that can deliver more juice. What are the power limits of SATA and molex connectors? I assume they're pretty low but still. Is PCI-E 3.0 going to be able to supply more power? That'd be a nice change.

All this multiple 6 and 8 pin crap is beginning to be a bit much IMO, and Fermi isn't going to make things any better in that department from what we've heard so far. At this rate PSUs will come with 2 24pin connectors: One for your motherboard and one for your gfx. :p

/End rant about GPU power connectors.