ATI's real answer to GTX480?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
But its not. Its just a limited run OC'ed 5970 made by a board partner.

Ugly to boot.

[Oh it seems that Asus is merely the first to release it with the new design. This seems to be a revision of the 5970 that allows it to, well, be 2x 5870's].

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
No real need to answer to something that doesn't exist yet eh?
Until I can go out and buy one, the new nvidia cards don't exist imho.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
If you look at the HD 5830, with 1120 sp's, performing EQUAL to a HD 4890, with 800 sp's, albeit at a slightly higher clockspeed, you'd have to start wondering why. Why does a part that's better on paper, not perform better at all? I don't think ATI is doing it on purpose, but there is still some performance to be unlocked.

Unless the HD 5830 is completely bottlenecked by it's pixel fillrate, but I doubt that to be the case.

LtGoonRush

Dec 15, 2008
Is that a triple slot card?

Because I have read some posts regarding "triple slot coolers" being part of the new PCI-Express 3.0 spec?

If so this card might be an interesting preview of things to come.
I'd actually really like to see triple-slot cards become common on the high-end, the videocard is the only card in most modern computers so I'd be happy to give up another slot in exchange for quieter, higher-performance cooling.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Asus is releasing their 4 GB Overclocked 5970 soon, the details are here:

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17831/1/

20100225ares3.png

This will indeed be an interesting card!

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
You know, I totally think AMD is deliberatly holding back the performance of the entire 5xxx series. I don't agree with it, but company's do these kind of things . How else do you explain the GTX 260 core 216 debacle.

GTX 260's were 280 chips that didn't make the cut, right? How many chips did nvidia have to throw away once they revamped the 260 gpu specs to 216 shaders. The original GTX 260 allowed them to use gpus with up to 2 non functioning clusters. The 216 only allowed for 1 non functioning cluster in theory significantly reducing the number of qualifiying chips.

Fermi has been touted to very powerful yet late to the show since the very beginning of the HD 5 series launch. Pretty much giving AMD a commanding head start and at the same time showing their hand first. It would be interesting to see a similar hand played by AMD as the GTX 260 216 release. Preferably a miracle driver release or bios (unlikely) release rather than a new card.

When Fermi comes out AMD will not be unprepared. They will have something.... and it has been brewing for quite sometime.

Hey whatever happens, I'm ready to replace this power hungry hd4870x2 trifire setup with something worthy and capable of being called an upgrade so be it a GTX480 or Hd5xxx

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
When Fermi comes out AMD will not be unprepared. They will have something.... and it has been brewing for quite sometime.

I am not worried about ATI this generation.

Next generation is a different story and for a different reason. Rather than thinking about the "high end" consider what could happen at the "low end" and "midrange" where all the sales volume is at?

In this scenario, Could die shrunk Fermi derivatives significantly outperform the cheaper ATI offerings if the "load balancing" Fermi architecture ends up doing a good job controlling frame rate dips (ie, minimum FPS).

To me it seems like the lower end cards are the ones most sensitive to intermittent video card slow downs. At this level what feels "subjectively" fast isn't necessarily average FPS.

Of course, all of this would be dependent on how much tessellation ends up being used by programmers? Will game developers try to get a head start on this in 2011-2012 or will we have to wait until next generation Xbox console ports to see tessellation being used significantly?

Last edited:

dookulooku

Aug 29, 2008
Ouch 4GB of memory. Not 32 bit OS friendly. lol

Not a problem. Regardless of how much memory the video card has, only a portion, usually 128 or 256 MB, is mapped to system memory. Basically only a "window" of the entire memory is directly visible at any given time.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
high.... I love the performance of my rig but it easily heats up the room an additional 10 degrees after a few hours =)

Reminds me of the Athlon Thunderbird days, a small room stood no chance of keeping that CPU cool without air conditioning!

Dose anyone have a clue how much this thing is going to cost? Are we talking $1500 or so??? Or will dual ATI cards be cheaper than the last dual nVidia GTX 285 solution?

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
What's most interesting is the 2GB variety of this card posted a higher vantage result than the increase in clocks (17-20&#37; clock increase, 28%!!!! benchmark increase).

Assuming less than perfect scaling on multi-GPU this tells me a 2GB variety of a tweaked, 15% higher clocked 5870 (let's call it the 5890) may close the best case rumored 35% performance gap between the 5870 and 480.

Another intuitive leap would be NV pushing to release fermi2 as soon as possible. I think it's safe to write off fermi1 products even before they are launched.