ATI already won contract for next-gen XBOX?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would expect them to keep the Ninendo contract, the ArtX team that ATi purchased has handled ever Nin graphics chip since the N64.

It seems surprising that they would make a selection this early unless they are planning on using the Nin formula for next generation and going with older technology to reduce cost and heat, or I suppose they could be looking at something like the 5870 with significantly more eDRAM which would be a pretty decent solution for 1080p.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
2 best selling consoles this generation so far. If they lock up both for next gen, I see a lot of money in AMD's future. I'm ready for a new xbox, hopefully 2011 (keeping my fingers crossed).

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
Originally posted by: santz
RRODS anyone?

not down to ATI as the chip didnt fail, the cheap cooling that MS designed just caused the heat to kill nearby chips

maybe a 5890 at 32nm will be what they will be looking at?

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Vertibird
I hope Nvidia keeps the Sony Contract.

I remember reading they already said they were not, due to NV refusing to lower the price on the RSX

they are going to ask IBM i think, as they are already building CPU's for the PSP and PS3

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
Originally posted by: Ares202
RRODS anyone?

not down to ATI as the chip didnt fail, the cheap cooling that MS designed just caused the heat to kill nearby chips

that and warping motherboards.

I love it when people throw attacks (RROD) that they have absolutely no background knowledge about. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling that only a superiority complex can induce. Ohhhh the hubris.

Vertibird

Oct 13, 2009

I remember reading they already said they were not, due to NV refusing to lower the price on the RSX

they are going to ask IBM i think, as they are already building CPU's for the PSP and PS3

This does not look good for Nvidia then. Last week they also said they would leave the chipset market too.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Nvidia will probably make truckloads of money with the Tegra and derivatives.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004

If that's true nvidia may really be up the creek. They are getting squeezed out of the chipset business and possibly consoles too!!! That would leave them with graphics cards only and 2 competitors in that segment soon (inel / amd).

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
2012? Both companies could be in completely different places by that point. Tough to say what impact this will have.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd like better sources for both articles, but I cetainly wouldn't be suprised to see AMD in MS's next console. I remember the rumors were that MS wasn't too happy with Nvidia and their pricing regarding the original XBox. AMD is pretty far ahead of Nvidia right now, so it would make sense assuming the designing process for new consoles is in the works right now .

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
I'd like better sources for both articles, but I cetainly wouldn't be suprised to see AMD in MS's next console. I remember the rumors were that MS wasn't too happy with Nvidia and their pricing regarding the original XBox. AMD is pretty far ahead of Nvidia right now, so it would make sense assuming the designing process for new consoles is in the works right now .

MS was pissed Nvidia wouldnt alter the original contract which set pricing based on volume. Since the original xBox never sold what Microsoft expected. Nvidia stuck to the pricing model per the contract. Which had Microsoft paying higher than avg prices for Nvidia's chips later in the console life cycle.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I expect ATi to win the MS contract, I also expect the new MS console to probably have less of a GPU then a 5850 is right now. Is there any reason to get better when your stuck at 1920x1080?

We'll find out when some DX11 games get I guess.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

MS was pissed Nvidia wouldnt alter the original contract which set pricing based on volume. Since the original xBox never sold what Microsoft expected. Nvidia stuck to the pricing model per the contract. Which had Microsoft paying higher than avg prices for Nvidia's chips later in the console life cycle.

You can bet no one who works with nVidia again will make that mistake. There is absolutely no chance of MS getting stiffed on the ZuneHD's over pricing.

I do think Tegra has a bright future and if the Nintendo & nVidia contract rumor is true, that is a huge huge win for nVidia. I think if nVidia plays its cards right, Tegra could be used as the base for smartphones and other portable devices.

AmdInside

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: tomaccogoats
I think nvidia's pretty happy right now :)
http://brightsideofnews.com/ne...t-gen-nintendo-ds.aspx

Whoa. That's pretty exciting. One thing that keeps me from touching my Nintendo DS is the fact at the graphics sucks. The Sony PSP graphics are good enough but the long load times makes me also not want to use it much. Sadly, when I have a few minutes to kill, I just rather use my iPod Touch than play with the PSP or NDS.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: akugami
Originally posted by: Genx87

You can bet no one who works with nVidia again will make that mistake. There is absolutely no chance of MS getting stiffed on the ZuneHD's over pricing.

I do think Tegra has a bright future and if the Nintendo & nVidia contract rumor is true, that is a huge huge win for nVidia. I think if nVidia plays its cards right, Tegra could be used as the base for smartphones and other portable devices.

I could be wrong but it sounds like what is exactly happening with the PS3 right now.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Guys, ATI doesn't earn shit because of the xenos-gpu in the current xbox 360, margins are low as hell.

People who think this is an early decision, think again. Developing a gpu will take 4 years roughly, if they want to sell a console in 2012, design on the gpu must allready be halfway.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The rumor that Sony was upset over the price nV was charging for RSX was very obviously a lie. Sony makes RSX, they pay a licensing fee per chip. I'm not saying that Sony won't end up going a different direction next generation, but I can say with certainty they won't change due to pricing structures on the current generation.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Developing a gpu will take 4 years roughly

RSX was done in under 18 months. A clean sheet design will take quite a bit longer, but if the platform makers are willing to utilize large sections of parts that are already on the boards it can get a lot faster(and cheaper for them given that they are likely licensing IP, not buying chips).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
RRODS anyone?

maybe a 5890 at 32nm will be what they will be looking at?

I believe that 28nm is the next step. also in 2012 we will certainly be past the 5xxx series.