ATI 5870 Triple XFire tested

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Interesting read, looks like crossfire is getting better all the time. I'm still not sold on running a multi GPU setup but for those that are this looks promising.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
not regarding the article, but my opinion is XF and SLI are both "dead to rights" when Lucid Hydra chips get integrated in more M/B. (currently there is only one planned IIRC).

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Originally posted by: Borealis7
not regarding the article, but my opinion is XF and SLI are both "dead to rights" when Lucid Hydra chips get integrated in more M/B. (currently there is only one planned IIRC).

Yep....Lucid hydra will be interesting. I can't wait to see the reviews of MSI big bang mobo in another month. (Too bad Nvidia recently decided to disable PhysX whenever an ATI card is present.) That is going to hurt Lucid hydra chip sales....which incidentally would replace Nforce 200 on mobos.

Soleron

May 10, 2009
If Hydra is any good then Intel will put it in their PCH (since they are a major investor in Lucid) and AMD (and Nvidia, if they're still making chipsets) will copy it for their northbridge. No need for a separate chip.

Mar 11, 2004
Why even bother testing 1680x1050 on most of those games? And only 4xAA? Hmm, I guess maybe it makes some sense, but I don't get not maxing everything out (or maybe I'm wrong and those games max out on 4xAA?). Give feedback on the playability. Its nice to see min/avg/max FPS though, but that still doesn't necessarily tell you playability at those settings. I just noticed they didn't even bother testing Crysis?

If they really wanted to push multi-GPU setups they should have worked with game companies to offer something more compelling, like special ultra-hi-res texture packs and things like that. If cost is the issue, I'm sure they could offer it for like an extra $5. I guess they do sorta have a compelling use in Eyefinity now, and possibly 3D.

I'd actually like to see a site that looks into image quality mods for several popular games, and doing a subjective comparison and then a performance comparison, and giving a verdict on them being worth it or not. It could help bridge the gap between game companies and modders in that respect, so that maybe it could be an add-in that the game companies could offer basically for free (and wouldn't cost them anything extra). Mods are a huge upside to PC gaming, but its such a mess to deal with them that its often not even worth the trouble. With SSDs becoming more standard, I would think loading hi-res textures would be a great way to take advantage of them.

Sorry for the discourse.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
They really missed the boat with this testing.
Why bother limiting it to 2560x1600 at the top end? Half the point of these new ATI cards is triple outputs/multiple gaming monitors.
Do a comparison of 1 vs 2 vs 3 cards at something like 5760x1200. That's when 3 cards might really have an impact on performance and start being really "worthwhile".

Oh, posted before I read the last page.
Seems like ATI really dropped the ball here.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Why bother limiting it to 2560x1600 at the top end? Half the point of these new ATI cards is triple outputs/multiple gaming monitors.
Do a comparison of 1 vs 2 vs 3 cards at something like 5760x1200. That's when 3 cards might really have an impact on performance and start being really "worthwhile".

Yeah XFire doesn't work with Eyefinity yet but I've heard that it will come...it's pretty stupid if they don't.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
Originally posted by: thilanliyan

Yeah XFire doesn't work with Eyefinity yet but I've heard that it will come...it's pretty stupid if they don't.
It should be coming soon and also there should be bezel management.
http://hardforum.com/showpost....34761680&postcount=128

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I'd hope they get Eyefinity working with CF by the time the 5900s hit, otherwise those cards will have less reason to be sought after.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
ATI Eyefinity setup

From what I am understanding the only way to use ATI Eyefinity is to have a Display Port monitor (i.e. 2 DVI + Display port OR 1 DVI+HDMI+Display port).

But how many people have a Display port on their monitor?

Sounds like this technology needs time to mature to have the flexibility to run 2x DVI + HDMI at least. Or more manufacturers have to include display port on their LCDs. Sounds like a consiparcy theory of Dell paying some serious Mula to ATI to have the DVI+HDMI limitation :(

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
ATI Eyefinity setup

From what I am understanding the only way to use ATI Eyefinity is to have a Display Port monitor (i.e. 2 DVI + Display port OR 1 DVI+HDMI+Display port).

But how many people have a Display port on their monitor?

Sounds like this technology needs time to mature to have the flexibility to run 2x DVI + HDMI at least. Or more manufacturers have to include display port on their LCDs. Sounds like a consiparcy theory of Dell paying some serious Mula to ATI to have the DVI+HDMI limitation :(

Q) How many people already have 3 monitors?
A) Not many. So if you are buying another monitor to make the three, make it DP.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

So if you are buying another monitor to make the three, make it DP.

I just did a search on Newegg and I could only find 1 $350 22 inch DP LCD.

If they intended to make Eyefinity accessible by almost anyone, they should at least allowed you to use a Displayport -> hdmi adapter.

bangmal

Jul 12, 2007
Originally posted by: RussianSensation

So if you are buying another monitor to make the three, make it DP.

I just did a search on Newegg and I could only find 1 $350 22 inch DP LCD.

If they intended to make Eyefinity accessible by almost anyone, they should at least allowed you to use a Displayport -> hdmi adapter.

You just need an active adaptor. There are currently two in the market, costs $100+, and CA is working on a more affordable one
http://estore.circuitassembly....splayport-Adapter.html

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
When I get the time, will take out my extra 8 monitors from the closet and plug them into my extra 3 5870's. :beer:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
The minimum frames are impressive... they often double up and go from barely playable to very smooth

perhaps you missed the part where minimum framerates didnt improve or actually got worse in some games. :confused:

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Nice results, the scaling seems rather good - better than I expected, at least with early drivers. Kind of crappy they didn't go higher on AA though, its obvious you have the power there to support that settings

I'm mostly impressed by the minimums, (@2560) batman was meh at 42 to 66 to 63, but FC2 scaled linearly, 19 to 38 to 59. HAWX went 48 to 86 to 101. RE5 must have had some driver hitching, dropping below 20 minimums with CF. Averages there were good though, and new drivers should hopefully fix the mins. WIC also scaled well, with 19 to 36 to 51 - around 75-80ish %

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
uhh I don't see Crysis there. Surely they benched it. Any other game doesn't need 3 5870's. I'll look again to make sure I didn't miss it.