ATI 4870

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: waxking1
I think it is really too late for NVidia to do anything. Radeon struck while the iron was hot so to speak. I bet most people(including myself) looking for a new card in the $300 price range have already bought a Radeon and won't be buying again for a while. NVidia will have to reload for the next round.

Nvidia has pretty much been caught with their pants down thanks to AMD's skillful controlling of information of the 4k series. Everything Nvidia does for the short term is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction. Later, we'll see some refined, die shrunk GT200 series cards though.

jdogg707

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Gnitepracdlo
Originally posted by: alexpkeaton
Well I ordered mine at 12:35pm EST from BB, and 2 minutes ago I got an email saying it is backordered. Needless to say I will be calling and canceling.

same..what a bunch of crap..they still don't have it listed as backordered on the web site though. guess they tryin to con more people into ordering..lame best buy..

Same here...

scapino

Jun 25, 2008

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
How long did it take before receiving a back order notice from Best Buy? I haven't gotten it yet but did get a 'order processing confirmation' email. It says the estimated arrival date is 6/30~7/1.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
well looks like more of a paper launch for the 4870..lame..

no, the gtx 260 and 9800gtx+++SSCWTF are paper launches. this is a "light" launch, and it is common knowledge that gddr5 will not be available in large supply for a while still. If you want a 4870 and it's priced around msrp you're probably going to need to pull the trigger the minute you see one for the forseeable future.

Gnitepracdlo

Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: lopri
How long did it take before receiving a back order notice from Best Buy? I haven't gotten it yet but did get a 'order processing confirmation' email. It says the estimated arrival date is 6/30~7/1.

i got the order processing confirmation around 12:30pm and then got the back ordered email around 4:30pm.

Kharohz

Nov 17, 2007
Originally posted by: scapino
Originally posted by: scapino
Visiontek has the product listed directly on their site to purchase for $299:

http://www.visiontek.com/store...fo.php?products_id=177

I ordered from Best Buy at 2:29 eastern, waiting to get my backordered email then I'll call and canel.

product not found error

They seem to have taken it down. I ordered one, so we'll see what happens!

You and me both... I actually ordered it after they took it down (It was still in my cart)

Hopefully it will go through

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
well looks like more of a paper launch for the 4870..lame..

Demand higher than supply doesn't make it a paper launch. It sucks... but it's not paper.

Haven't you been reading Fud? They told us there'd be limited qty's due to GDDR5 shortages. :)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
NewEgg has them back in stock. I canceled the Best Buy order and ordered there. Go NOW!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
NewEgg has them back in stock. I canceled the Best Buy order and ordered there. Go NOW!

Nevermind they are now in stock I would rather order from zipzoomfly because they are not price gouging at all. Though if I prefer a certain brand then newegg. Surprised how fast these are going out of stock. Will be interesting to see if they keep doing this even when they become available more.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000

Yup, looks like the Sapphire branded version is still in stock. But not for long!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: daveybrat

Yup, looks like the Sapphire branded version is still in stock. But not for long!

Just a minute ago when I looked they were all out of stock I bet that won't last long.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Hope you all enjoy your ATI 4870 going to wait to see what else Nvidia and ATI can come out with. Still want better Crysis performance because even though for most levels the video cards from Nvidia and ATI do well I bet they still suffer at the ice levels of Crysis :(

Need to wait for a little more video card power so those levels are playable at the same detail settings as the previous levels on Crysis without having to turn it down. Looking for at least playable Crysis at 1680x1050 DX10 All on High or Very High on all levels. I don't need AA or AF but it would be nice to have 4x AA and 16 AF on Crysis if ever possible. I know if I want the AA and AF I will have to wait even longer for a video card to be able to do that in Crysis.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
considering that 2 x gtx 280 still has problems with crysis I have a feeling that you'll be waiting at least 18-24 months...:(:(

tylerw13

Aug 9, 2006
has anyone heard anything on water blocks for these cards??? any eta?? ive just bought a 4870 and might have another one in the future or an x2

Matte979

Jan 24, 2006
Awesome, I just ordered the sapphire version from newegg, also got back ordered at best buy and was very bummed out. Now its on rush order and overnight fedex. :) Thanks for the tip. I have been checking this thread practically all day.

Finally a card that is worth getting to replace my great 1900XTX. I still might get the 4870x2 when it comes out and put the 4870 either in crossfire or move it to my media center. Time to play crysis again.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
Got my order in @ N.E.!

Ordered from BestLie and got the backorder notice cancelled that order and was able to get one from Newegg:D overnight ship should be here Friday:music: