ATI 4870

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alexpkeaton

Jun 24, 2008
Well I ordered mine at 12:35pm EST from BB, and 2 minutes ago I got an email saying it is backordered. Needless to say I will be calling and canceling.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: alexpkeaton
Well I ordered mine at 12:35pm EST from BB, and 2 minutes ago I got an email saying it is backordered. Needless to say I will be calling and canceling.

Same.

feelingshorter

Platinum Member
May 5, 2004
The BB offer was too good to last long, i knew it! Newegg used to have the lowest prices but given bestbuy's free shipping and their 300 price tag without price gouging like newegg (adding 10 bucks), its fair to say we've all been hit by the "newegg effect." Where you no longer look at other websites for computer parts, you just go to newegg, assuming they have the lowest prices. Which they used to, but i guess after you become "big" like newegg, you no longer have to fight to keep prices low as they have a much bigger customer base now, they dont care to save us a few bucks anymore.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Yeah, newegg has remained the "easiest" store around--easiest to search for parts, carry a wide array of stuff, etc--but they stopped being the "cheapest" a year or more ago.

EDIT: Oh, wow. Check this out: NewEggMall.com

Kharohz

Nov 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Stabgotham
Yeah and that makes sense. You have an 8800GTS. I'm still living in the dark-ages with my 7800GT, so its clearly upgrade time baby!

Then I must be in the stone age...

Voodoo3 2000 PCI here :disgust:

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
Originally posted by: scapino
Visiontek has the product listed directly on their site to purchase for $299:

http://www.visiontek.com/store...fo.php?products_id=177

I ordered from Best Buy at 2:29 eastern, waiting to get my backordered email then I'll call and canel.

I don't like Best Buy anyway and they also charge tax. I never thought about trying to order direct. Thanks for the link. Ordered, I hopt they ship soon.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: manko
VisionTek 4870 $299
Gah! I had it in my cart and was all ready to checkout...then I used the tax calculator. $15 in sales tax. Boo hoo :(.

Thanks anyways.

They're available at NewEgg now...with some moderate gouging going on.

not anymore. $309 is too low of a price for $400 worth of performance. all of the etailers are going to be forced to increase prices to meet demand. amd will be ok b/c it's just more profit for them, too, and frankly I don't blame them. If they can sell every card they can make for 6 months for $299 or they can sell 95% of all the cards they can make for $399, could you blame them?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: SteelSix
Originally posted by: Stabgotham
How reputable is NCIX in the US?

FX Videocards has the 4870 listed for $369.99 which is shocking!

http://fxvideocards.com/Sapphi...-ATI-4870-p-16395.html

I talked to them today. Very short supply. VisionTek's are supposed to be in transit to their Atlanta facility. Expect pricing to be $369 as well.

I'm gonna hold off. Stay tuned for 4850's with Zalman VF900's oc'd.. :)

yeah, I think that an oc 4850 for $200-$220 is going to be the ultimate sweet spot for most of us until gt200 gets down to the midrange in 4q09/1q2010.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: exitous
They are all pretty much the same. None of them come with anything other than some cables and a driver cd. Id choose Powercolor next though since it has a normal Newegg return policy with it and not a limited one like the HIS.

I don't know about return policy since mine was perfect but I've had a great experience with my HIS 3870. I'd happily buy from them again if VT wasn't available.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: DeathSniper
Is the VisionTeK limited warranty still "as long as the product is in lifecycle"? I remember reading about this a few years ago when someone had a GF4 that was discontinued and tried to RMA it; I believe VT actually sent back an X800 iirc, but it took some convincing.

Anyways, just curious as I'm thinking about upgrading from my 3870X2 to a 4870X2 sometime perhaps. On another note, I still have two funcitoning VisionTek Xtasy cards fully functional today (now that's quality!) - a GF3 Ti200 and a GF4 Ti4400, and they both cost over $300 at launch also :D

the way the warranty is actually implemented is that as long as they're still selling the card they'll replace it with the same card. If your card is discontinued then they'll give you a "comparable" card. evga, xfx, bfg, all the lifetime warranty companies are the same in that regard. sometimes (as in the gf4 person) this warranty is great for you, other times you get a crappy card or have to pay a large premium to get the newer card. as with all things, ymmv.

epphllps

Jun 21, 2008
keep checking ZZF, they are in stock at intervals, so it seems. I was checking on the site just to see if I could manage to get another if they show up in stock again and they did, but couldn't catch it in time.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
amd will be ok b/c it's just more profit for them, too, and frankly I don't blame them. If they can sell every card they can make for 6 months for $299 or they can sell 95% of all the cards they can make for $399, could you blame them?
How is it more profit for AMD? Isn't this just a unilateral thing by the eTailers to take advantage of demand? Or do you think that AMD is hiking channel prices as well?

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
they monitor transaction prices just like anybody else would. if the average transaction price jumps to $350 and stays there for a couple of months what would YOU do? I'd bump up my selling price to the partners, they'd understand since they'd still be making a killing off of them.

The real problem here is that, in spite of the absolute destruction of their profits, I honestly think that nvidia is going to immediately and aggressively drop gt 200 prices. They'll come out with an ultra-type gpu with clocks in the 700 core, 1200 memory range and bump THAT one up to 650, drop gtx 280 to $499 and drop gtx 260 to $339.

feelingshorter

Platinum Member
May 5, 2004
The market is already flooded with nvidia GPUs, i think nvidia is better off just selling the GTX 260 for 300 bucks instead of releasing a new GPU, YANL (yet another nvidia launch) will be stupid. They have the most ridiculous product line as it is. I would of thought that the 4850 would sell faster but seems its the 4870 thats OOS. The 300 price range seems to be the sweet spot for 24 or 26 inch LCD owners. Not too low, and not too ultra high.

mharr7

Feb 17, 2008
they monitor transaction prices just like anybody else would. if the average transaction price jumps to $350 and stays there for a couple of months what would YOU do? I'd bump up my selling price to the partners, they'd understand since they'd still be making a killing off of them.

The real problem here is that, in spite of the absolute destruction of their profits, I honestly think that nvidia is going to immediately and aggressively drop gt 200 prices. They'll come out with an ultra-type gpu with clocks in the 700 core, 1200 memory range and bump THAT one up to 650, drop gtx 280 to $499 and drop gtx 260 to $339.

which is gooooood....gotta love that there will be, what looks like, a nice price war to keep Nvidia's pricing honest once again....no more monopoly, atleast for a while....

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: feelingshorter
The market is already flooded with nvidia GPUs, i think nvidia is better off just selling the GTX 260 for 300 bucks instead of releasing a new GPU, YANL (yet another nvidia launch) will be stupid. They have the most ridiculous product line as it is. I would of thought that the 4850 would sell faster but seems its the 4870 thats OOS. The 300 price range seems to be the sweet spot for 24 or 26 inch LCD owners. Not too low, and not too ultra high.
I think the 4850s are much more widely available, which is why you aren't seeing major shortages and price gouging.

They actually are sold out in Europe though, apparently.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
the way the warranty is actually implemented is that as long as they're still selling the card they'll replace it with the same card. If your card is discontinued then they'll give you a "comparable" card. evga, xfx, bfg, all the lifetime warranty companies are the same in that regard. sometimes (as in the gf4 person) this warranty is great for you, other times you get a crappy card or have to pay a large premium to get the newer card. as with all things, ymmv.

That's the way I read it, too. Additionally, should you need to exchange your card under RMA, your replacement card is still covered by the same lifetime warranty.

Products Covered:
ATI Based Retail Packaged ?VisionTek? or ?VisionTek Xtasy? Brand 3D Graphics Accelerators except those covered under other VisionTek Warranty Policies

VisionTek Products LLC, (?VisionTek?) is pleased to warrant to the original purchaser (?Warrantee?) of the graphics card (?Product?), that the product will be free from manufacturing defects in material or workmanship for the lifetime of ownership of the product when given normal and proper usage. The provisions of this warranty shall not apply if, in VisionTek's sole judgment, the product has been subjected to incidental damage including but not limited to the following:

* Damaged while being installed
* Damaged by software or hardware by someone other than VisionTek or by motherboard incompatibility/design
* Damaged by tampering, user error, disaster, misuse, neglect, abuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by an unauthorized technician that in any way affects its performance or reliability.

VisionTek?s liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or replacement, at VisionTek?s option, of the product or portion of the product which is defective in manufacturing material or workmanship. Warrantee assumes all risk of loss in transit. The returned products shall be the sole property of VisionTek. VisionTek warrants the repaired or replaced Products will be free from manufacturing defects in material or workmanship for the remainder of the warranty period.

VisionTek reserves the right to impose a reasonable charge for the repair of products returned with defects resulting from any of the above causes and for returns where the product is found to be in good working condition.

VisionTek reserves the right to replace any defective VisionTek product with an equivalent or superior product at VisionTek?s sole discretion. Such replacement product may be a remanufactured product or manufactured using remanufactured components at VisionTek?s option. The repaired or replaced product will be covered by the same warranty as the original product.

http://www.visiontek.com/teksu.../limited_warranty.html

Gnitepracdlo

Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: alexpkeaton

same..what a bunch of crap..they still don't have it listed as backordered on the web site though. guess they tryin to con more people into ordering..lame best buy..

waxking1

Sep 29, 2003
I think it is really too late for NVidia to do anything. Radeon struck while the iron was hot so to speak. I bet most people(including myself) looking for a new card in the $300 price range have already bought a Radeon and won't be buying again for a while. NVidia will have to reload for the next round.