ATI 4870

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SteelSix
I'm gonna hold off. Stay tuned for 4850's with Zalman VF900's oc'd.. :)
I'm also waiting to see what non-reference cooling designs will be offered. Hopefully, we will see some other designs by the end of July.

Gnitepracdlo

Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: alexpkeaton
VisionTek is a good brand for ATI cards then?

yes very good brand. all of their new cards have a lifetime warranty. have never had to rma one before but it's nice to have that.

alexpkeaton

Jun 24, 2008
Ordered mine from BB. It had tax but the shipping is free, so that makes it cheaper than the ones on Newegg and with the Visiontek brand.

Stabgotham

Jun 25, 2008
Man, I feel bad for FX Videocards. Their support person, Melissa, is so nice and helpful. She's be e-mailing back and forth with me all day. After I showed them the NCIX prices, they lowered their prices, but only down to $349.99. Unfortunately, they didn't get as good a bulk deal as a larger e-tailer such as Newegg and NCIX got, so that can't price them any lower. They are such a good company to buy from though, just makes me sad to see that everyone is going to be buying elsewhere instead though.

I want to buy from them, but not for an additional $30.00 + $8.99 for shipping.:(

But hey, their 4850 is only $189.99!!

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Stabgotham
Man, I feel bad for FX Videocards.
It's real tough to find any reason to buy from an unknown company, when you can order from a major retailer for $299. Since ATI's MSRP is $299, it's hard to believe their "bulk deal" excuse for jacking up the price. It's not a good way to establish a rep.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Man, I feel bad for FX Videocards. Their support person, Melissa, is so nice and helpful. She's be e-mailing back and forth with me all day. After I showed them the NCIX prices, they lowered their prices, but only down to $349.99. Unfortunately, they didn't get as good a bulk deal as a larger e-tailer such as Newegg and NCIX got, so that can't price them any lower. They are such a good company to buy from though, just makes me sad to see that everyone is going to be buying elsewhere instead though.

I want to buy from them, but not for an additional $30.00 + $8.99 for shipping.:(

But hey, their 4850 is only $189.99!!

hehe I know what you mean.
I always feel bad for little companies.

However, if they can price the 3850 right, why not the 3870? They must know more than they let on.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Really too bad I am not in upgrade mode this year. This and its little brother are very nice cards for the money.

Stabgotham

Jun 25, 2008
Damn...that was fast. Hopefully Powercolor or HIS are good brands since those are the only options remaining.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Meh. Why should I pay if they're charging more than MSRP. It's not like my GTS all of sudden went caput. Looks like I'll be waiting until there isn't a shortage, for the price gouging to die down :p.

exitous

Sep 8, 2004
They are all pretty much the same. None of them come with anything other than some cables and a driver cd. Id choose Powercolor next though since it has a normal Newegg return policy with it and not a limited one like the HIS.

Stabgotham

Jun 25, 2008
It's only $10.00 over the MSRP isn't it? It may only get worse before it gets better.

Powercolor or HIS? Which would you choose?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It's only $10.00 over the MSRP isn't it? It may only get worse before it gets better.
Yes, well, I'm a cheapskate - what can I say :D.

Besides, the 4850s are selling for at or less than MSRP, and they have free shipping. So I don't feel particularly inclined to pay any more than $299.99 shipped for a 4870. I don't mind waiting.

Stabgotham

Jun 25, 2008
Yeah and that makes sense. You have an 8800GTS. I'm still living in the dark-ages with my 7800GT, so its clearly upgrade time baby!

DeathSniper

Oct 19, 2004
Is the VisionTeK limited warranty still "as long as the product is in lifecycle"? I remember reading about this a few years ago when someone had a GF4 that was discontinued and tried to RMA it; I believe VT actually sent back an X800 iirc, but it took some convincing.

Anyways, just curious as I'm thinking about upgrading from my 3870X2 to a 4870X2 sometime perhaps. On another note, I still have two funcitoning VisionTek Xtasy cards fully functional today (now that's quality!) - a GF3 Ti200 and a GF4 Ti4400, and they both cost over $300 at launch also :D

ddarko

Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Yes, well, I'm a cheapskate - what can I say :D.

Besides, the 4850s are selling for at or less than MSRP, and they have free shipping. So I don't feel particularly inclined to pay any more than $299.99 shipped for a 4870. I don't mind waiting.

Your patience and self-control are admirable, I wish I had it. I'm just think it may be a long wait for anyone expecting the 4870 to drop below MSRP soon. I don't think the 4850 is necessarily a good comparison because the 4870 uses the still relatively scarce memory tech. More importantly, there's no price competition to drive the 4870's price down; Nvidia doesn't have a product at $300 and I really doubt the GTX 260 is going to drop to that price point anytime soon. The 4850's prices are being forced down because of the 9800GTX's price drops. Nothing comparable for the 4870 so I think if anything, prices will rise, not drop, in the near-term.

generaltao

Mar 20, 2008
I'm still waiting on the 1gb version personally. but at least *most* of the etailers are selling these @ msrp or marginally close to it.