Athlon FX on sale here

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
had a 1700+ pally, then a 1900+ pally, then a 2100+ T-bred, then a 2200+ T-bred, then a 2500+ barton.
5 processors in the range of 400 MHz? I am assuming you changed few heatsinks as well.
My mother used to say -- when you buy cheap you always buy twice, once because it is cheap and the second time because it was no good. Well, 5 times beats that. :D
Try new Bartons, heard they overclock 100 MHz higher than the older ones, they might even have a better heatsink.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: stevejst
Have you seen a retail 2500+ heatsink? It's no slouch... copper base and microfins
I actually have two, both are good for garbage. You might have luck to get one with 3200+, I am certainly not gonna try ever again. You can have all the Bartons that are out there for yourself with or without heatsinks.
For $85 and $5 Speeze which will easily allow me to make it to 2.2 most likely on stock voltage... Really we could get the retail for $92 and still go just as far.
I don't use speezes in my PCs, but I am sure that is a cooler good for you.

Do i have a Speeze cooler? No, but that doesn't change the fact that it will keep you under 55c @3200+ speeds...

You just can't seem to handle that AMD has had something decent going... Intel! Intel! Intel! They have something going great too, but not by a long shot...

" I see everyone buying a new socket motherboard and CPU soon"

rolleye.gif

I can't wait till you change your rig, we can all make a thread...

STEVE HAD to change sockets.

Damn Intel.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
This is the way we troll the forums, troll the forums, troll the forums, this is the way we troll the forums every frickin day...

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Do i have a Speeze cooler? No, but that doesn't change the fact that it will keep you under 55c @3200+ speeds...
Meaning you don't really know what you are talking about.

By the way, here is a picture comparison between Thermalright SK-7 and Barton 2500+ stock cooler. Note the stock cooler that comes with retail is useless to me, I have not even removed the tape. It is aluminum, together with a fan is smaller than SK-7, not to mention weigth. Shortly garbage Good luck overclocking with that.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: rommelrommel
This is the way we troll the forums, troll the forums, troll the forums, this is the way we troll the forums every frickin day...

:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: stevejst
Meaning you don't really know what you are talking about.

By the way, here is a picture comparison between Thermalright SK-7 and Barton 2500+ stock cooler. Note the stock cooler that comes with retail is useless to me, I have not even removed the tape. It is aluminum, together with a fan is smaller than SK-7, not to mention weigth. Shortly garbage Good luck overclocking with that.

Steve i have used the Speeze cooler on several occasions, and i know how it performs... Just because i do not use one on my current system means nothing...

You are a troll and an ass..

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Why the sales pitch steve?

If you take a good look at the CPU market, both the P4 and the Athlon are at the end of their line. We are going through a generation switch in CPU processing so whatever anyone happens to buy at this point is going to be old news pretty soon.

We also all know prices on the lastest and greatest hardware are always rediculess, and Intel is far more guilty of high priced hardware than AMD has ever been.

So ehhhhh, hush up young buck.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: BD231
Why the sales pitch steve?

If you take a good look at the CPU market, both the P4 and the Athlon are at the end of their line. We are going through a generation switch in CPU processing so whatever anyone happens to buy at this point is going to be old news pretty soon.

We also all know prices on the lastest and greatest hardware are always rediculess, and Intel is far more guilty of high priced hardware than AMD has ever been.

So ehhhhh, hush up young buck.

Ah, another one who tries to speak some sense to him.. Don't bother... He only last so long then runs off...

:p

mamisano

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2000
By the way, here is a picture comparison

Yeah, I heard that is the new method of comparing products. You should patent the idea and license it to all the web masters out there. Think of all the time people will save when instead of spending hours benchmarking and making scientific observations they can just take a picture and compare.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Notice that the dumb angle he uses also doesn't let you notice the small number of thick fins that the P4 cooler has as opposed to the many thin fins of the AMD.

Not that either are really anything to brag about, but if you're trying to say that p4 retail cooler > amd retail cooler because of size, you're poorly informed.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Not that either are really anything to brag about, but if you're trying to say that p4 retail cooler > amd retail cooler because of size, you're poorly informed.
Actually you don't have a clue since you have none of these coolers yourself, right?

There are some decent small coolers with microfins, though they are rare, most notably Dynatrons, I had two. But first the good ones are made of copper and they use 6,000+ RPM double ball bearing fans on them, meaning they are usually noisy. This AMD cooler has neither of these qualityies. It is just simply crap.

How good AMD stock coolers are? I don't know anybody overclocking with that crap. There are plenty of people overclocking with Intel stock cooler.

Perhaps a week away will allow you to rethink your insulting attitude here.

Mod