Athlon FX on sale here

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Available? Who knows, wanna try?

Notice the board option is only one, Opteron NForce 3 board with 940 socket while there are three processors and FX51 is the most expensive one.
The same web site sells comparable Intel 3.2 GHz system with Asus P4C800 for about $500 less.
Newegg started to sell Opteron 246 for $830 OEM (30 day warranty) and $900 with 3-year warranty.
Intel cut the prices on Celeron, 2.6 GHz Celeron is now $89, 2.4 GHz is $79. These are overclocking to 3.2-3.4 GHz and score approximately 25-30% lower benchmarks than the same clock Northwood Bs.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
Pffit Opteron is soo July.... I think the whole Opteron "get 64bit for your home" is a fart in the wind.... cant wait to se their Q4 earnings report... hopefully the server market will pull them through b/c this time my money went to intel...

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Intel cut the prices on Celeron, 2.6 GHz Celeron is now $89, 2.4 GHz is $79. These are overclocking to 3.2-3.4 GHz and score approximately 25-30% lower benchmarks than the same clock Northwood Bs.

Don't tell me you are promoting Celerons now...

30% is a big chunk of Performance...

Mean while the $80 2500+ is a much better deal than ANY Celeron.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Pffit Opteron is soo July.... I think the whole Opteron "get 64bit for your home" is a fart in the wind.... cant wait to se their Q4 earnings report... hopefully the server market will pull them through b/c this time my money went to intel...

There is an editorial in overclockers.com about this and their expectation is that AMD will have increased profit marginally in the Q4 just b/c there will be some to buy into that but it will be very hard for them to sustain these prices in Q1 of 2004 once the reality sinks in - that you really do not need 64-bit for a desktop and when/if you will need it, in 2-3 years, the current processor and hardware will simply be outdated. Therefore this does not look shrewd but I'll say no more since we have fanatics around here. ;)

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002

Not for me any more. The board I can put Celeron in can serve me later for Northwood C. The board I can put Barton in is a dead end, I cannot use heatsink, nor the processor, nor the motherboard any further. I did that in the past, I used Duron, then Palomino then XP, with the same heatsink, and with the same motherboard. I still have CPUs I use for test setup (buying new motherboard to figure out is it OK and working well or for temporary use).
Your choice.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
That was a very intelligent "I know you are but what am I?" response... keep em coming.

I also find it "funny" that you're attacking AMD for switching motherboards when Intel has gone through more socket changes than AMD... not to mention that the upcoming Prescott won't be compatible with your current motherboard that can run both a Celeron and a Northwood.
rolleye.gif

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: stevejst

Not for me any more. The board I can put Celeron in can serve me later for Northwood C. The board I can put Barton in is a dead end, I cannot use heatsink, nor the processor, nor the motherboard any further. I did that in the past, I used Duron, then Palomino then XP, with the same heatsink, and with the same motherboard. I still have CPUs I use for test setup (buying new motherboard to figure out is it OK and working well or for temporary use).
Your choice.

I was just asking if you were promoting the joke of a CPU Celerons... ;)

Fanatics?

We all are, including yourself.

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Well, you got an answer I am not sure you understand. If you are price conscious as you claim to be then you need to be informed that that 2500 costs $85 and that is OEM, meaning without a heatsink, so one way or the other you'll spend another $25-30 (considering shipping too) for a heatsink that will enable you to overclock. So, the real total is more like $110-115.
Given that I can buy full retail package of a real deal for $170 (with applicable warranties) that will significantly outperform your choice, I am not exactly impressed with your calculations.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Well, you got an answer I am not sure you understand. If you are price conscious as you claim to be then you need to be informed that that 2500 costs $85 and that is OEM, meaning without a heatsink, so one way or the other you'll spend another $25-30 (considering shipping too) for a heatsink that will enable you to overclock. So, the real total is more like $110-115.
Given that I can buy full retail package of a real deal for $170 (with applicable warranties) that will significantly outperform your choice, I am not exactly impressed with your calculations.

Well you never fail to amaze me Steve,

For $85 and $5 Speeze which will easily allow me to make it to 2.2 most likely on stock voltage... Really we could get the retail for $92 and still go just as far.

That totals to what? $90, and shipping is free.

I'm never impressed with your calculations...

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

Your choice.

Ummm ok... so you're bashing AMD for changing sockets? Intel changes sockets more often than my girlfriend changes shoes! And, usually midstream in a product, P3 and P4 both victims of that, and Tejas will be another socket YET AGAIN. At least AMD waited for an all new chip to bring out a new socket.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: rommelrommel

Your choice.

Ummm ok... so you're bashing AMD for changing sockets? Intel changes sockets more often than my girlfriend changes shoes! And, usually midstream in a product, P3 and P4 both victims of that, and Tejas will be another socket YET AGAIN. At least AMD waited for an all new chip to bring out a new socket.

Don't even bother. . .

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Man these threads are really getting kinda humorous. (Maybe to the point of ridiculous.)

Why can't we all just get along.........;):D

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
that 2500 costs $85 and that is OEM, meaning without a heatsink, so one way or the other you'll spend another $25-30 (considering shipping too) for a heatsink that will enable you to overclock.
Have you seen a retail 2500+ heatsink? It's no slouch... copper base and microfins, with a nickel plating and a quiet-but-effective fan, not a lot different from a Thermalright SK-6. My heatsink-installation guide happens to picture one, if you want to see what it looks like. :D I daresay it affords some OC potential, and when I bought my retail 2500+, the price was actually lower than OEM. Figure that one out :D

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
I see a lot of you buying new socket motherboard and CPU very soon. :D

You make no sense then, i see you buy one too for Prescott. What the hell is the difference.

I daresay it affords some OC potential, and when I bought my retail 2500+, the price was actually lower than OEM. Figure that one out

:p

Hahaha...

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Have you seen a retail 2500+ heatsink? It's no slouch... copper base and microfins
I actually have two, both are good for garbage. You might have luck to get one with 3200+, I am certainly not gonna try ever again. You can have all the Bartons that are out there for yourself with or without heatsinks.
For $85 and $5 Speeze which will easily allow me to make it to 2.2 most likely on stock voltage... Really we could get the retail for $92 and still go just as far.
I don't use speezes in my PCs, but I am sure that is a cooler good for you.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Have you seen a retail 2500+ heatsink? It's no slouch... copper base and microfins
I actually have two, both are good for garbage. You might have luck to get one with 3200+, I am certainly not gonna try ever again. You can have all the Bartons that are out there for yourself with or without heatsinks.
Fine by me :cool: Hey, point me out that Athlon 64 at CyberPower's site again, because I can't find it. Maybe AMD was annoyed they were taking pre-orders when the launch is still a month off, and made them take it down again?

stevejst

Banned
May 12, 2002
Fine by me Hey, point me out that Athlon 64 at CyberPower's site again, because I can't find it.
Try to click on link, it might actually help you find it.

Maybe AMD was annoyed they were taking pre-orders when the launch is still a month off, and made them take it down again?
Yes, that is certainly the case. AMD is not a company that thrives on hype.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Oooo, never mind, I see it now: link! Definitely some "me-first" pre-order pricing going on there :D I'm glad to see that Corsair XMS3200 is a viable option with the Athlon 64, since I have three sticks of it already. One more, and I'm sitting at 2GB even :D

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: lookouthere
Can we stay on the TOPIC here in this thread?
LOL, do we want to stay on topic in a flamebait thread? :D;)

Since this thread will undoubtedly get a lot of traffic, I'm going to put in a quick plug for my little photo-review of the nicest case badge I've ever seen: CaseArts laser-engraved aluminum badge These are niiiiiiiice! :cool:

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
on the motherboard and successive generations of chips topic:

My KT400 mobo (FIC AN19E) had a 1700+ pally, then a 1900+ pally, then a 2100+ T-bred, then a 2200+ T-bred, then a 2500+ barton. Finally moved to a 8RDA+ and went back to the 2100+, upgraded again to a 2200+, then on to a 2500+ barton, then a 2700+, and finally a 3000+ barton now.

Works for me until I move to 64-bits.