Atheists sue N.J. school over ‘under God’ in Pledge of Allegiance

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
No reason?

NO REASON!?

Soviet sleeper agents aren't going to out themselves!

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
The phrase should be removed from the Pledge.

I agree, personally. However, why are they trying to force their views onto others?

Why not fight to exclude, for instance, the children of atheist parents from saying the "under God" part?

A much simpler case, IMO, where both parties can win.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
I agree, personally. However, why are they trying to force their views onto others?

Why not fight to exclude, for instance, the children of atheist parents from saying the "under God" part?

That would make them Pariahs

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
That would make them Pariahs

Bull****, and so what? The JW's, decades ago, won a case so that their kids could not be obligated to say the Pledge at all. Guess what? They got what they wanted, regardless of the social consequences, and schools weren't forced to abandon it.

Being an outcast is simply a consequence of being in the minority. Too bad.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Bull****, and so what? The JW's, decades ago, won a case so that their kids could not be obligated to say the Pledge at all. Guess what? They got what they wanted, regardless of the social consequences, and schools weren't forced to abandon it.

The last thing that should happen is to make kids a target in a place where they are there to learn, especially when it comes to something that shouldn't be there in the first place. Kids have enough to deal with in HS

Feb 6, 2007
I always thought it was a little odd to require students to recite a loyalty oath when I was in school, but even though I was a raging atheist, it never bothered me that the words "under God" appeared in the pledge. Honestly, if your faith (or lack of) is so tenuous that just hearing the word "God" will cause you to completely change your beliefs, the pledge of allegiance should not be your biggest concern.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
Actually why are people saying the pledge in the first place? Doesn't the pledge kind of contradict the idea of states being separate from the central government.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This should be going to the Supreme Court where all mention of god will be removed from money.

The religious right has been complaining about a non existent war on religion for years and now they will actually be getting one:D

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sounds great in German.
"Ich gelobe Treue auf die Fahne der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, auf die Republik, die eine Nation unter Gott ist, vereinigt durch Freiheit und Gerechtigkeit fur alle."

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Hope they win, and "Under God" is removed from the pledge. Removal from money is next.

Feb 4, 2009
**I believe** it was established in the early 80s that schools cannot force students to recite the pledge or make them stand during it. I wonder how this will shake out

Nov 25, 2013

You mean like the fair sized portion of the American Christian population that continues to insist that the U.S. is a 'Christian Nation' and insists on pushing their particular brand of Christianity on the rest of the country?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Which religion does the Pledge endorse?

Is the Pledge itself heavily centered on "under god", or are those two words auxiliary to its primary purpose?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013

Tyranny of the majority? Isn't that one of the things your 'founding fathers' were allegedly rebelling against and why they founded the U.S. as a democratic republic?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This should be going to the Supreme Court where all mention of god will be removed from money.

The religious right has been complaining about a non existent war on religion for years and now they will actually be getting one:D

Good luck. The house voted 396-9 in 2011 to reaffirm ‘In God We Trust’ as our national motto. The Senate did it in 2006.

According to a 2003 joint poll by USA Today, CNN, and Gallup, 90% of Americans support the inscription "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

Sorry but this goes beyond the religious right. And this suit is just plain stupid. It is just some kid being ‘subjected to hearing the words “under God”’ Nobody is forcing anyone to say anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette Close your fucking ears if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
Sorry but this goes beyond the religious right. And this suit is just plain stupid. It is just some kid being ‘subjected to hearing the words “under God”’ Nobody os forcing anyone to say anything. Close your fucking ears if you don't like it.

And, let's face it, at some point the kid is probably going to meet someone with a different take on God than him (or his parents). If the parents do a good job raising him to believe what they believe, he should be able to defend his beliefs when confronted with contradictory information. These parents are just pussing out on the "teaching" part of their responsibility and trying to hide competing information from their child. That's a lazy abdication of responsibility on their part, not some greater cause that mentioning God is somehow destroying fragile little minds. It's the exact same way I feel about people who are against gay marriage because they don't want to deal with their children coming home and asking them about someone they met with two daddies. Just because an idea makes the parents uncomfortable doesn't mean they should try to remove any chance that their child is ever exposed to it; it's the parents' own personal cowardice masquerading as concern.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You mean like the fair sized portion of the American Christian population that continues to insist that the U.S. is a 'Christian Nation' and insists on pushing their particular brand of Christianity on the rest of the country?
You actually know nothing about what the majority of Christians believe. But you evidently were brainwashed into your current bogus understanding of what the majority of Christians believe!!

Nov 25, 2013
Quote: Originally Posted by Victorian Gray View Post You mean like the fair sized portion of the American Christian population that continues to insist that the U.S. is a 'Christian Nation' and insists on pushing their particular brand of Christianity on the rest of the country?

You actually know nothing about what the majority of Christians believe. But you evidently were brainwashed into your current bogus understanding of what the majority of Christians believe!!

Would you like to point out just where I said majority of Christians?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Tyranny of the majority? Isn't that one of the things your 'founding fathers' were allegedly rebelling against and why they founded the U.S. as a democratic republic?

Tyranny of the minority. We don't want God spoken so to offend our crybaby eardrums, so we're gonna force you to stop saying it. :rolleyes:

Nov 25, 2013
Tyranny of the minority. We don't want God spoken so to offend our crybaby eardrums, so we're gonna force you to stop saying it. :rolleyes:

So, tyranny is someone objecting to the state forcing them to hear about a god that they do not believe in and that the majority is forcing them to listen to on a daily basis.

Yep, makes sense to me...