Atheists sue N.J. school over ‘under God’ in Pledge of Allegiance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 25, 2013
So if "under God" is removed starting today, you'd be ok with the pledge?

Personally, I'm against pledging allegiance to pretty much anything or anyone but in this particular case it would certainly help to have the divisive words removed.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Personally, I'm against pledging allegiance to pretty much anything or anyone but in this particular case it would certainly help to have the divisive words removed.

Under god is not divisive. Does having "In God we Trust" on your money force you to stop cashing your paycheck, or spending money?

Of course, that's different, right?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Under god is not divisive. Does having "In God we Trust" on your money force you to stop cashing your paycheck, or spending money?

That should be removed from money as well. My debit card doesn't say in, nor does my direct deposit have that saying in the memo or anything. What are you getting at?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Of course it's divisive. The whole context for it being added was to denigrate a certain group of people, Atheist Communists. Those were seen as Foreigners only, but in the process American Atheists were thrown out with the bath water.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Of course it's divisive. The whole context for it being added was to denigrate a certain group of people, Atheist Communists. Those were seen as Foreigners only, but in the process American Atheists were thrown out with the bath water.
^^ For the record: sandorski thinks I'm a babe.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So what's next, we going to have to start having churches take down their crosses cause someone might actually, you know, see one and it offend them?

Is that cross in a classroom at a public school and part of the Pledge of Allegeince to our country?

Nope. Your place of worship is the perfect place for the cross. I can not bring my kids there all the time. But I do send them to the school my taxes help pay for, in the country my taxes also help pay for.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Well, that would be the logical next step. It offend people to hear the word god so much that they are going to sue, so naturally it will soon offend people to just to see a religious symbol. Remember, this is a suit over someone just hearing the word God.

No it's not.

Yes it is.

"Atheists have filed a lawsuit on behalf of New Jersey parents who decry the fact that their child is subjected to hearing the words “under God” during daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States."

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

Yes it is divisive.

Add to that the fact that there was no states or national referendum, no popular vote, and very little if any debate (or courage) by various federal courts. It was quite simply a move by several Christian groups to include the phrase into the pledge, thereby separating us, at least in their minds, from the "godless" communists.

Up until the advent of credit and then debit cards the only alternative was to move to a country whose citizenry and government weren't groveling at the feet of some imaginary deity.

So yeah, it is different.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
LOL.

Paranoid Athiests are easily one of the more annoying and ridiculous types of religious nuts.

It's always been most funny to me that this is one of those "issues" that makes kids realize many so-called "adults" have serious issues. No one really gave that much of a shit about the pledge when I was in school, it was just another school thing. Then you'd see these crazy "adults" with nothing better to do than get all bent out of shape over it. Fuck, it would be more productive to get all up in arms over the terrible school lunches if anyone wanted to raise a big stink over something... now those were oppressive. But all upset over a pledge? And really over a word? Yeah, teaches kids that some people are just retards and enjoy showing it off.

I'm not an atheist.

Nov 25, 2013

Under god is divisive if you are a citizen who doesn't believe in god. It's divisive if you are a non-Christian believer given that everyone knows damn well which 'god' it's in reference to and it's not a non-Christian god.

And, fortunately, I live in a country where I don't have to worry about stupid references to god(s) on my currency or any ridiculous loyalty oaths either.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Under god is divisive if you are a citizen who doesn't believe in god. It's divisive if you are a non-Christian believer given that everyone knows damn well which 'god' it's in reference to and it's not a non-Christian god.

And, fortunately, I live in a country where I don't have to worry about stupid references to god(s) on my currency or any ridiculous loyalty oaths either.

We do have it in our National Anthem though. Strangely added by Trudeau of all people.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Oh you mean like Canada's National Anthem that goes:

"God keep our land glorious and free!"

LOLOLOLOL

Maybe you never heard it.

Nov 25, 2013
Yes it is.

"Atheists have filed a lawsuit on behalf of New Jersey parents who decry the fact that their child is subjected to hearing the words “under God” during daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States."

No it's not. It's about discrimination.

From the original article:

"The American Humanist Association — a group with a slogan that reads “Good without a God” — said the suit was filed on behalf of a Monmouth County family whose members want to remain anonymous. The gist of the suit is that the school-sponsored pledge with its accompanying “under God” phrase discriminates against atheist children, the group said in a written statement."

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oh you mean like Canada's National Anthem that goes:

"God keep our land glorious and free!"

LOLOLOLOL

Maybe you never heard it.

Hey, don't forget "God Save the Queen" while you're at it. But then again, that means you're no more a believer in freedom than a monarchist.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
We do have it in our National Anthem though. Strangely added by Trudeau of all people.

Once again, there's no better way to get reactionaries to suck the government dick than to tell them it's what God wants them to do. It's what kings have already been doing for millennia.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Are you stupid or just being willfully ignorant. Congress voted to make it our motto, not to force anyone to say it. That's protected under free speech which I also linked. One of the down sides to free speech is that you might actually hear something that offends you. Sorry Jack, that's America.

Once again Matt you show your ignorance of how American law works. We also are talking about the pledge in a school not in a public space.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you do better next time.

The fail is you saying "And, fortunately, I live in a country where I don't have to worry about stupid references to god(s) on my currency or any ridiculous loyalty oaths either" when your National Anthem says "God keep our land glorious and free!"

Nov 25, 2013
The fail is you saying "And, fortunately, I live in a country where I don't have to worry about stupid references to god(s) on my currency or any ridiculous loyalty oaths either" when your National Anthem says "God keep our land glorious and free!"

Once again, you can't see/understand the difference?

On the one hand we have a national anthem that nobody has to pay any attention to. On the other hand you have loyalty oaths and references to the Christian God on your country's currency (among other things).

And you really can't see a difference?