Atheists Call 9-11 Memorial Cross "Grossly Offensive"

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
A book is tool... many religious organization use books as tools.

I mean, how ignorant are you? Why are books published by the new atheists best freaking sellers? Should I post the millions of books people buy?

Just admit -- you have a message, so does organizations like the FFRO. They promoted spreading it.

You're ignoring THAT evidence.

Still waiting for YOUR evidence that your book of supernatural lies is anything more than fairy tales, Rob. :)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You didn't answer his question - how many atheists have knocked on your door again?

In order to talk about their belief system? None. Big deal, in 10 years at this address I've only had 7 or 8 Jehovah's Witnesses stop by with the Watchtower. I thank them politely and they go away. How many threads have I seen here at ATP&N with atheists witnessing to me about the superiority of their belief? Over a dozen.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
In order to talk about their belief system? None. Big deal, in 10 years at this address I've only had 7 or 8 Jehovah's Witnesses stop by with the Watchtower. I thank them politely and they go away. How many threads have I seen here at ATP&N with atheists witnessing to me about the superiority of their belief? Over a dozen.

Well add one more and keep on crying. You choose to enter these threads just like you choose to answer the door.

Your logic fails just as hard as Rob M's religion does.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Ok, serious question, why do you care?

Because religion (and Christianity, specifically) infects the globe. It is a literal infection of ignorance and bigotry. It's a plague of oppression that prevents our species from progressing socially, scientifically, medically, morally, and ethically.

Why wouldn't I care about my fellow man? Why wouldn't I care to free my fellow human beings from a lifetime of oppression, hatred, judgement, bigotry, and violence?

It is bronze age myth, lies.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You're entirely missing the point. Currently, I'm not even talking about a replacement definition to the "lack faith in God" version. All I'm doing is using rocks to show the absurdity of it. So this line of reasoning has nothing to do with getting to a "believes that God doesn't exist" definition.

The only thing that is absurd is your line of reasoning. Everyone else understands that rocks can not be atheists because they can not choose to lack faith.

That the "lack faith in God" definition is a bad one. That is all there is to it.

Its actually a rather good definition. Just about everyone on the planet has a good understanding of it, except for you evidently.

I know rocks don't have faith or beliefs. Would you prefer I use a pencil?:awe:
Rocks have no beliefs so no, they do not have that belief.

There is no point in even considering a rock because it doesn't have the ability to have faith at all, why in hell would you even relate a term that would never apply in the first place?

Whether you have a belief system or not isn't relevant to the definition of the word. My point is and has only ever been that the "lack of belief" definition for atheism is inadequate.

Actually its perfectly accurate but for the sake of humor what would you think is a better term?
I'm glad you're at least getting some enjoyment out of this. :biggrin:

Oh I most definitely am.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I like the topic, I enjoy the peevishness of atheists when they try to deny that there's a spits worth of difference between their belief system and other peoples religious belief system. That coupled with the fact that they're out in public and in every forum desperately telling anyone that will listen all about it.

\

So according to Buckshot rocks have a belief system? You guys are getting even wackier everyday.

BTW, you talk about atheists out in public "preaching" but I have yet to see one myself. Would you care to play a little game? I'll go to a very public place and video a theist (Christian) preaching his ass off, and more often than not being an asshole while doing it. You do the exact same thing but with atheists. Lets see who has the hardest time and who collects the most videos. We can even make a friendly wager on it.

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I'd ask that someone quote this so that Dipshit24 can read this, but I know he's going to click the link on all of my posts to read them anyway.

ENzBnqj.jpg

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So according to Buckshot rocks have a belief system? You guys are getting even wackier everyday.

BTW, you talk about atheists out in public "preaching" but I have yet to see one myself. Would you care to play a little game? I'll go to a very public place and video a theist (Christian) preaching his ass off, and more often than not being an asshole while doing it. You do the exact same thing but with atheists. Lets see who has the hardest time and who collects the most videos. We can even make a friendly wager on it.

Why would I want to look around for one? I can be witnessed and preached to about atheism right here in the comfort of my own home on a site i visit regularly.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

In other words you have seen more proselytizing by those who are theists versus those who are atheists (a value of some, versus a value of none).

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Why would I want to look around for one? I can be witnessed and preached to about atheism right here in the comfort of my own home on a site i visit regularly.

You choose to click the threads.

You choose to continue coming back to these threads.

You choose to participate in conversation in these threads.

The fault is yours, and yours alone, for subjecting yourself to that which you do not want to be subjected. :awe: :biggrin:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
How is knocking on your door (which you can choose NOT to answer) imposing anything?

Unless something is being made into law, it isn't being imposed.

You seem to miss that distinction. Knocking on your door, you have a choice, legislating something, you don't have a choice.

All religious communication is not imposed, though, again, you perpetuate the lie that it is.

Come on rob, I even agreed with your point that atheists can and do preach but you must understand that there is a VAST difference between someone looking for you (knocking on your door) and you having to actively find it on your own (clicking on the link to this thread).

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I am simply asking you to back up the claim that you made and in return I am willing to do the exact same. So I take it no deal?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
A book is tool... many religious organization use books as tools.

I mean, how ignorant are you? Why are books published by the new atheists best freaking sellers? Should I post the millions of books people buy?

Just admit -- you have a message, so does organizations like the FFRO. They promoted spreading it.

You're ignoring THAT evidence.

I understand what a book is. I also understand the definition of preaching. Writing a book is not preaching.

Edit: Did you even read the definition that you linked?

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Come on rob, I even agreed with your point that atheists can and do preach but you must understand that there is a VAST difference between someone looking for you (knocking on your door) and you having to actively find it on your own (clicking on the link to this thread).

:thumbsup:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Because religion (and Christianity, specifically) infects the globe. It is a literal infection of ignorance and bigotry. It's a plague of oppression that prevents our species from progressing socially, scientifically, medically, morally, and ethically.

Why wouldn't I care about my fellow man? Why wouldn't I care to free my fellow human beings from a lifetime of oppression, hatred, judgement, bigotry, and violence?

It is bronze age myth, lies.

Well there's the problem right there, you're generalizing. Sure, I think the beliefs of Christianity and other religions are silly, but for the most part they aren't harmful. SOME people make them harmful. Most Christians are just people. While I do know quite a few atheists/agnostics, the huge majority of people I know are still Christian. And like maybe 2 of those people ever let their religious beliefs override common sense or scientific facts. Attacking people for believing in something fixes nothing, it just makes you look like a dick. How about you attempt being inclusive instead of abrasive? You might find you can convince people of what really matters. For example, instead of yelling at someone for believing in a god, work with them to ensure that belief doesn't extend to hating homosexuals or not accepting evolution?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Well there's the problem right there, you're generalizing. Sure, I think the beliefs of Christianity and other religions are silly, but for the most part they aren't harmful. SOME people make them harmful. Most Christians are just people. While I do know quite a few atheists/agnostics, the huge majority of people I know are still Christian. And like maybe 2 of those people ever let their religious beliefs override common sense or scientific facts. Attacking people for believing in something fixes nothing, it just makes you look like a dick. How about you attempt being inclusive instead of abrasive? You might find you can convince people of what really matters. For example, instead of yelling at someone for believing in a god, work with them to ensure that belief doesn't extend to hating homosexuals or not accepting evolution?

Good post.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I am simply asking you to back up the claim that you made and in return I am willing to do the exact same. So I take it no deal?

No deal. The facts are exactly as I state them. Talk to Buckshot about what he posted, I didn't and don't agree with it.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

There is a difference, but atheists are not just sitting and passively setting up websites and such and waiting for people to read their information.

I've seen FFRO billboards, new atheists best-selling books on shelves in book stores, youtube vids....this isn't a "sitting by" and allowing you to come and find their information -- far from it, especially with the link I shared earlier encouraging you all to "share" your non-belief.

If you think what you have to say, as an atheist, is important and true, then you're supposed to share it....and many of you are doing so. Sure, you're not knocking on my door, but that isn't the only way to spread your non-belief.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013

If you find the premise of the bible to be false, anyone who 'spreads the gospel' or falls for it is living in a lie and perpetuating a lie. Using the threat of hell to scare young Christians into fearful reactions like praying and studying and worrying about not touching themselves because it's a sin and you'll go to hell is evil. Lying to children, using the threat of hell and fear to scare them into believing is evil. It's immoral. It's unethical.

I believe that Christianity, even in the most simple of forms, is evil.

I am not content to "live and let live" when letting Christianity live means allowing immoral and unethical and COMPLETE FALSEHOODS to go unchecked.

Tolerance is condescending.

Last edited:

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
There is a difference, but atheists are not just sitting and passively setting up websites and such and waiting for people to read their information.

I've seen FFRO billboards, new atheists best-selling books on shelves in book stores, youtube vids....this isn't a "sitting by" and allowing you to come and find their information -- far from it, especially with the link I shared earlier encouraging you all to "share" your non-belief.

If you think what you have to say, as an atheist, is important and true, then you're supposed to share it....and many of you are doing so. Sure, you're not knocking on my door, but that isn't the only way to spread your non-belief.

What's your point? Why do you care if people who believe something different than you do put up signs and billboards and make youtube videos?

Are you scared of people coming to the realization that they are living a lie?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
What's your point? Why do you care if people who believe something different than you do put up signs and billboards and make youtube videos?

Are you scared of people coming to the realization that they are living a lie?

Why do I care? Frankly, I'm not posting here because I do -- I just want your ilk to be honest.

Secondly, scared? How can I be scared when I stated:

They have a voice, they should voice it....I am all for supporting that right and will go on record as saying that.

and then I said:

If you think what you have to say, as an atheist, is important and true, then you're supposed to share it.

These are not quotes from a man worried about atheists preaching. I want them to...I think they should.

I'd LOVE for an atheist to come knock on my door so we could have a discussion.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
What have I or any other atheist in this thread been dishonest about?

We don't have to knock on your door. We're right here, so let's talk.

Remember, I'm still waiting for all your evidence to prove that what you believe is more than fairy tales.