Atari VCS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I don't think that they can knock the price that low just by switching to Stoney Ridge- they would need to gut the quality of the materials and build quality, massively reduce the complexity of the board etc. It would be a very compromised product at that point.
I wasn't actually recommending switching to Stoney. I was pointing out the cost of the A9-9400 without software recuperating costs. While the Atari VCS as is has game revenue to offset loss in hardware revenue.

1. A9-9400/8GB/128GB SSD -> purchase by user and no extraneous sources of money for manufacture. $96 to $130 has to equal profit.

2. R1606G/2x4GB/32GB eMMC -> purchase by user and purchase of Atari games, 100% go to Atari or third-party(exclusive) games and Atari gets 20%(12%). $99 by itself is a loss but with games it equals a profit.

With the hardware review for finding better sourcing, I believe it would actually be this:
3. R1606G/2x8GB/512GB SSD for $99~$199

//// Part2 of prior post with above context:
That specification should allow the four 'ers to be published by Atari within higher confidence:
Shooter
Fighter
Racer
Roleplayer

AA-quality + DLC of these should outclass the revenue/profit gained by just the retro-esque arcade titles. These global genres are great at attracting the current player volume to games or a console.

Atari
financials.png
2021+ they pulled the cord on all but one of the free-2-play smartphone games with scammy monetization schemes. So, far they have no hit PC/Console title yet to reverse the trend.

It is very difficult to find numbers so assume these are off by a lot:
Retro Arcade -> ~4% of player volume
Four 'ers -> ~60% of player volume

Nintendo Switch for example has Splatoon IP, Smash IP, Mario Kart IP, Zelda/Mario IP. There is no equivalent IP to the Atari VCS, all the Atari games are just antique-class arcade titles. At best these games that Atari are shooting out are suppose to be set dressings not the main attractions.

Some of the infogrames titles are technically better fit for this, as far as I can tell Atari still owns these IPs:
War Ground Air Special Missions

Hero X

There were also re-imagined titles by Atari/infogrames with some extra remaster/remake polish could work:
Combat

If I see another home console/arcade call back after Akka Arrh. I know we will see another bad year potentially with the prior CEO coming back once again!

Also, on a side note the main thing keeping me away from Atari is this:
atari1inter.png

So, what is this:
atari2inter.png
atari3inter.png

If you know, you know but the gist is Atari Interactive Inc = bad. However, since the prior CEO was CEO of Atari Interactive 2001-2007 and became CEO of Atari SA in 2013-2021(operating as Atari Interactive/Licensing till March 2022). It makes sense all games fell into awful quality territory.

Now take a look at this, now note that Infogrames already did a 3D Combat re-make...

I recommend holding off to anyone looking at the VCS to wait for "New CEO also states that players will see more remasters, remakes and extensive projects from Atari." The new CEO comes from management-side of Nightdive/Ziggurat. Basically the new focus should be like; Blood: Fresh Supply, Bloodrayne: Terminal Cut/Revamped, Shadow Man Remastered, Deadly Dozen Reloaded, etc.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I had some interest when I first read an article about it, but when I saw that the price was $300 to $400, I decided to get an HP Thin Client and install Linux Mint on it instead. It cost $50 up front, and then I upgraded the RAM & added an SSD. Total cost was about $110. Mame runs pretty well on it.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
In regards, to this within this thread.

The details are coming out which can be copium for the backers. Who knows?

1. Atari is ending their relationship with the current manufacturer for the VCS. Which I believe is: ASTEELFLASH SUZHOU CO LTD

2. They have been working on replacing the above manufacturer since early 2022. The entity that is replacing the above is a middle-man. Which can source from multiple manufacturers, rather just be a single one.

3. Atari VCS 1.0 is dead, but the Atari VCS 1.x/Refresh is not:
VCSEnd.png
krazatari.png

Going further on from point2/3, Atari already has received back "several prototypes" of the new models. However, I am unsure if they should be using the term "prototype" for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A lot of stock and limited sales... they might just sell it for half-off.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
A lot of stock and limited sales... they might just sell it for half-off.
[/QUOTE]

I almost feel like they should have just taken some thin clients, installed a slightly tweaked version of Linux on it, and put an Atari sticker on the outside. I'm tempted to just do that with my HP T620 (& Linux Mint) on my desk here at work.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I almost feel like they should have just taken some thin clients, installed a slightly tweaked version of Linux on it, and put an Atari sticker on the outside. I'm tempted to just do that with my HP T620 (& Linux Mint) on my desk here at work.
They would probably have hit the current issues sooner if they did that. They would be dependent on a finite single source: HP since December 2013. With a downgraded processor: Geode(eKabini) since 2013.

The current Atari VCS has a low rate of change on supply do to a single manufacturer. The upcoming change to an umbrella of manufacturers for the VCS. Means the new VCS can do a high rate of change on supply.

$10 million USD(or EUR):
$299 Base/$399 All-in

+$2 million USD(or EUR) in 2021 split between Asteelflash and the other manufacturers.
Asteelflash produced:
$199 Base/$299 All-in

In 2021 the other manufacturers were same spec, then in 2022 other manufacturers switched to new spec. Which is supposedly cheaper and supports a higher production capacity, potentially opening a way Internationally instead of just selling in the United States.

There is also the language that it won't be a "new" console but a "complementary" one. // Which doesn't make any sense since it clearly is suppose to be the new hardware.
Atari VCS 400Canned
Atari VCS 800Atari VCS 800Canned
*not targeted yet**not targeted yet*Atari VCS 1600???/Pro???

R1606G/2x8GB/1x512GB :: Updated OS on SSD.
1. PC Mode is Atari-branded Debian with a desktop environment.
2. Game Mode is just big picture mode for their Unity App.
So, they might be ditching the open PC mode, bottom up just an Atari (semi-)walled garden.

All of this can just be copium and the VCS could just be dead. Also, the AMD website does not recommend using the R1000 series anymore:
r1000.pngr2000.png

The above is only important if they are changing up the boards and effectively coming out with a new product. I am just posting this just in case they turn around and say "Also, it is the R2000 4C/8T/8CU APU, not the R1000 2C/4T/3CU APU."

Edit Day+1;
In reverse order:
Okay, this is line 3,
"In parallel, Atari is considering developing new hardware complementary to the Atari VCS with partners under licensing contracts." <-- This is the controller/accessories stuff.

Line 2,
"Notably with regards to the Atari VCS, for which a new commercial strategy has been implemented as of the end of 2022 and that will continue in 2023." <-- This is the hardware review and is actually a vague announcement of the refreshed VCS.

Line 1,
"The first-half of the year was primarily dedicated to the reorganization of the Hardware line of business which includes the suspension of direct hardware manufacturing relationships," <-- Remove the old guard(prior Head of VCS/prior CEO) in regards to Atari VCS(prior CEO's VCS) to prepare for a new VCS(new CEO's VCS). It is explicitly vague not to talk about new hardware manufacturing relationships. Which might change throughout 2023 if the prototype boards fail to impress, etc.

2018: Bristol Ridge + Flex(tronics)
2019: Raven2 + Asteelflash
2023+: Raven2 or something new + no direct 1-on-1 manufacturing -> Company A :: Manufacturer A,B,C,D,E; which will all produce approximately the same thing.

If there is premium 3d games slated for 2H2023, then it will definitely be something new. Which might be announced between these points: <<1/26/2023 to 6/30/2023>>.

Last edited: