AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
This is my first post in the WoW threads, but I've been lurking for a long time.

I've played Horde on Azgalor since vanilla. I main swapped at the start of MoP as we were losing a tank in our raid. Prior to that, I played a rogue as my main.

Rolled a Panda Monk on release day, and hit 90 at the begining of last week. I leveled as Brewmaster in LFG for 95% of levels 15-90. I really REALLY like the mechanics of monk. It feels like a hybrid rogue to me, with the energy, and chi being very similar to combo points. the class is way more active compared to the rogue. Ofter I was just auto attacking, waiting for my energy to regen so I could use another attack. 60% of my DPS was from autoattack and poison. With the monk, I've always got a button to be pressing.

I geared up to item level 463 through insta-queued LFG heroics this last week, and ran my first 10 man raid last night. We got some good work in on the Stone Guard, but it was clear that our DPS and healers have a way to go. Not that I'm surprised, at all, but it's way harder that LFR.

Are you sure it is the healers? Tanks have a pivotal role in this fight, and them doing their jobs right can really reduce damage taken in the raid.

It is a long fight. It requires healers that know how to mana conserve, yet heal well. DPS to kill and dodge stuff, and tanks to move up and down the hall so not to stand in stuff the bosses place on the ground.

After last night I went 6/6 MV, and have to say, stone guards are almost the hardest fight in MV (if you look past the huge DPS requirement that is Elegon)

Majunior

Oct 14, 2005
Are you sure it is the healers? Tanks have a pivotal role in this fight, and them doing their jobs right can really reduce damage taken in the raid.

Not 100% sure. But when I compared our first night of attempts with another guild's first night of attempts (on worldoflogs.com) our HPS was 35% off the mark (115k HPS, vs 175k HPS), though our DTPS was a little bit lower. Our DPS was also about 35% lower (180k dps vs 275k).

Of our 12-14 attempts last night, the other tank and I only caused 2 of the wipes by not managing the Quilen swapping effectivly. On our best attempt, saw us get to about 70% with 3:45 left on the enrage. Certainly a lot of this is getting our DPS to understand how to deal with the environment, but I also think we need to gear up a bit more.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Not 100% sure. But when I compared our first night of attempts with another guild's first night of attempts (on worldoflogs.com) our HPS was 35% off the mark (115k HPS, vs 175k HPS), though our DTPS was a little bit lower. Our DPS was also about 35% lower (180k dps vs 275k).

Of our 12-14 attempts last night, the other tank and I only caused 2 of the wipes by not managing the Quilen swapping effectivly. On our best attempt, saw us get to about 70% with 3:45 left on the enrage. Certainly a lot of this is getting our DPS to understand how to deal with the environment, but I also think we need to gear up a bit more.

Strategically it is a realy easy fight. Don't stand in things. Have the people chained stand together, until they have a chance to break them. DPS the stone dog that is not the special one.

It is all execution.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Will open my third farm area today with only 1 to go. Should also find final 3 paragons in dread waste to complete that even though I've already finished the lorewalker achievement line.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Not that anyone cares since I'm not here much, but here's my thoughts/updates (done now, got kinda long...sorry!):

#1 - Living Steel - Seems to have an extremely low proc chance for transmute spec. When doing ghost iron to trillium, I average an extra bar about 1 every 5 crafts. Couple times I paid attention to this, I had mats for 52 bars and ended up with 65, including a 5x proc and two 3x procs. I've been doing my living steel transmute every day for 3+ weeks, and got my first proc last night. I have 2-3 guildmates who still haven't gotten a proc on it.

#2 - Reputation - Got my mage 1/2 through revered Golden Lotus, almost honored with AC, almost revered with SP. SP dailies suck. I like most AC dailies, they're not bad. GL dailies seem less...populated now, than they were a week or two ago. Been getting ganked a lot less :thumbsup: My rogue is 1 daily away from revered on Klaxxi, where he'll probably sit until the rep changes go through. I don't like those dailies, or even the whole zone, at all. Dinged 90 on my warrior (toon #3) over the weekend, haven't started nor do I plan to do dailies on it.

#3 - Tank damage - Pushed my warrior to 90 this weekend, only took about 4 hours / level with rested the whole way. Used my spirits to buy recipes for the 463 tank shield and 450 tank gear recipes (except boots because I had some from a quest reward). Hopped into a heroic at ilvl 445+, and seemed to take a TON of damage. It could have seemed that way because that group's dps was terrible, but I haven't tanked since WotLK so that tank damage may be normal? Kind of excited about warrior tanking again, might gear through heroics, but probably won't do LFR or anything.

#4 - Edited out because I was wrong.

#5 - Mage portal to Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Learned off the SW trainer. Just found out last night :rolleyes:

#6 - Warlock - Next up to level. I have 32 or 33 imperial silk now. Gotta get to 90 and get working on Golden Lotus / August Celestials rep so I can make 28 slot bags. If it takes my mage a few more weeks of dailies to get to exalted, I'm assuming the rep changes will be in before I get this toon there. Have enough cloth stocked for another 40 imperial silk, making it roughly six 28 slot bags when I get the recipe. Considering I'm using 20s on my mage (main) and 16's on everyone else, I can't wait to get these cranked out.

#7 - Cooking bag - Need it. NOW.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The bad thing about farming though is you must get to 90 before they get rep for harvesting.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The bad thing about farming though is you must get to 90 before they get rep for harvesting.

Really? I could've sworn I was getting it on my warlock last night, and he's only 86.

Or that could've been one of the other 3 level 90s I have parked in Halfhill. I'll have to check again today.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Really? I could've sworn I was getting it on my warlock last night, and he's only 86.

Or that could've been one of the other 3 level 90s I have parked in Halfhill. I'll have to check again today.
Pre 90 you can get some rep by quests but it's limited (no dailies available). Shado-pan in steppes, klaxxi in dread waste and some tiller in the valley (don't get rep from farming until 90).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
ah damn, will have to do enough dailies to hit revered before I can find the last 2 paragons.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
speaking of which, anyone see a good guide for all the panda land dailies.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
worst thing about the hurricane: I would have hit exalted with Klaxxi and Golden Lotus :cry: (and a weeks worth of missed scrolls of wisdom on my inscriptionist)

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Pre 90 you can get some rep by quests but it's limited (no dailies available). Shado-pan in steppes, klaxxi in dread waste and some tiller in the valley (don't get rep from farming until 90).

Yep, just confirmed that this morning on my warlock. Bummer!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Felt good about opening my third farming area till I looked at the ingredients needed to go from 575 to 600, what a bitch.

Looking forward to some darkmoon faire action.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Also regarding professions, does JC seem to suck even more than before? They cut any gems from mining and even though the ore is in near unlimited quantity, prospecting dozens of stacks for just a couple rare gems is a chunk blowing situation.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Felt good about opening my third farming area till I looked at the ingredients needed to go from 575 to 600, what a bitch.

Looking forward to some darkmoon faire action.
honestly, just farm tokens via the cooking bag/ingredient turn-ins. it's the easiest way.

20 x any cooking ingredient = 1 x token = 1 stack of whatever cooking ingredient you actually need. (specifically, you can turn stuff you can grind for like fish/meat into vegetables you'd otherwise have to wait to grow on your farm)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
So

lv 90 paladin
lv 90 Monk

once the monk is geared to the point only raids and LFR will help him out, what to level next? I have a...

lv 85.8 warlock
lv 85.2 mage
lv 85 priest
lv 85 warrior
lv 85 shaman
lv 86 Dk
lv 74 hunter
lv 72 druid
lv 14 rogue

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
So

lv 90 paladin
lv 90 Monk

once the monk is geared to the point only raids and LFR will help him out, what to level next? I have a...

lv 85.8 warlock
lv 85.2 mage
lv 85 priest
lv 85 warrior
lv 85 shaman
lv 86 Dk
lv 74 hunter
lv 72 druid
lv 14 rogue

You're better off than me. I cant seem to get around to level any of my other characters.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
lock, dk, mage, priest. hunter looks really fun right now too. they are kinda like my mage except ZERO ramp up time. just instant insane dps. I would be a hunter but I dont like micromanaging the pet and traps

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
So I hit 90 last weekend, it was harder than I expected because I was constantly being ganked! ARGH. I cleared out four areas to get to 90, Jade Forest, Four Winds, Summit, and the Steppeshttp://www.wowwiki.com/Townlong_Steppes.

First thing I did when I git 90 was grind heroics. I did randoms till cap and then some. The first 30 heroics, I got 2 pieces of gear. It was frustrating! After the 50th heroic, I managed to get most of the pieces I needed, bar a belt and a trinket. What also helped was the Halloween ring!

Once I reached 460 ilvl, I proceeded to que up for LFR. It was a monday, so I double-dipped and did one on monday and one on tuesday. I got 3 pieces of loot total which was sweet. One thing I noticed about LFR was that you only need 3-4 healers. The damage is small and 6 healers is overkill, but I guess blizzard wanted 6 to ensure that LFR's would be successful.

I think Blizzard did a great job with MOP, far better than Cata. I was in a Galleon raid just yesterday that had 8 groups of 40 people camping the spot. We owned the alliance, then killed Galleon for bags of gold. Lots of fun.

I would recommend coming back for MOP if you had quit WoW before. It is fun.

Last edited:

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I was in a Galleon raid just yesterday that had 8 groups of 40 people camping the spot. We owned the alliance, then killed Galleon for bags of gold. Lots of fun

Who is that and where does it spawn? Ive never seen a group being formed for it.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Leveled my alt paladin to 90 and lost the first 3 str drops (ring/neck/cloak) to agi users.

WTF?