AT&T destroyed my backyard

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Years ago I hit my gas line while putting in a retaining wall. I didn't get charged for the repairs because the line was about 20" above where it was supposed to be.

That must have been an exciting day.

Just curious, did you do your research and know you were working directly above a gas line and how deep the line was supposed to be?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
That must have been an exciting day.

Just curious, did you do your research and know you were working directly above a gas line and how deep the line was supposed to be?
I knew it was there but it was supposed to be deeper. I don't recall what code was (30"?) but it was barely below the surface. They figured when the hoe operator covered it up he let it come up on that end.
It was natural gas (lighter than air) in a plastic pipe so it wasn't all that dangerous.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
a high pressure gas line hit looks like a meteor strike . They run all over,most people are unaware.The gas line companies post the signs,they seem to get ignored.These 48" size pipes can have 100,00psi natural gas running through them. I went with a Colonial Gas Co locator to find one at a customer location.He said the pipe would be about 11' deep . It was 3' deep.He said the pipe had 'risen' due to ground movement(?)We moved our work way over to avoid his line.A map of gas lines looks like a giant spider web and they are everywhere.

How does the pipe have enough play to move 8'? :rolleyes:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
How does the pipe have enough play to move 8'? :rolleyes:
They don't.
Typically, a line will get put to the proper depth, then the land developer will decide to change the grade. I have worked on several projects where a gas or water main started out with 4' of cover, and by the time all was said and done it had to be dug up and reinstalled to get within specs.
As in your case olds, it can make for some exciting times!
I worked a bridge replacement project with an 6" intermediate pressure line suspended on the old bridge. I had to dig along the line for 400', under it twice, and then they had a guy come in and live weld a tap on it so we could put in a bypass. They had a gas company rep there the entire time I dug around the pipe.
I went for a long walk while that crazy SOB welded on the live line :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Due to the history of lack of pics, I took it upon myself to also make an "after" pic.

They finally came to fill the hole back in, installed a remote switch cabinet to support more phone lines, that area is off limits now, it snowed a bit since then, and the kids made a snow man. Or maybe it was AT&T during their break.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
this thread is awesome. who needs pics when the drawings are that good?

on the bright side, maybe you have faster internet now!

Status
Not open for further replies.