AT&T cable to Comcast.. now 1GB bandwidth limit per MONTH!? WTF?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Giganews price schedule (just for newsgroups):

1 GB/month US$7.95
6 GB/month US$11.95
8 GB/month US$15.95
12 GB/month US$22.95
16 GB/month US$29.95
25 GB/month US$44.95
50 GB/month US$79.95

:Q

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
If you reach your 1 gigabyte download limit before the end of the month, your account will become inactive until your monthly renewal date. You will be notified by e-mail when you have reached 75% of your 1 gigabyte monthly download allowance. If you exceed 1 gigabyte during a given download, the excess amount will be debited from your next month.

phreakah

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic

1 GB/month US$7.95
6 GB/month US$11.95
8 GB/month US$15.95
12 GB/month US$22.95
16 GB/month US$29.95
25 GB/month US$44.95
50 GB/month US$79.95

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001

1 GB/month US$7.95
6 GB/month US$11.95
8 GB/month US$15.95
12 GB/month US$22.95
16 GB/month US$29.95
25 GB/month US$44.95
50 GB/month US$79.95

More like: :Q:Q:Q

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't really use newsgroups.. Maybe a couple of times a month if I'm having trouble finding something I want.

Damn, those prices are kinda steep.. in addition to your normal cable bill? :Q

Geesh. I know someone that would have to subscribe to the 25 or maybe even the 50gb service. :Q

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
I don't really use newsgroups.. Maybe a couple of times a month if I'm having trouble finding something I want.

Damn, those prices are kinda steep.. in addition to your normal cable bill? :Q

Geesh. I know someone that would have to subscribe to the 25 or maybe even the 50gb service. :Q

Man that's a lot of prûn!!

:D

neil

Jun 6, 2000
When I was on ATTBI it was also 1GB/month

I also had unlimited with ATTBI.

Damn, Comcast!

I am using Grabit, and all i did was just change the sever name from netnews.attbi.com, to netnews.comcast.net. (im not sure if that the excate sever names)

I was wondering did anybody have to get an user name and password to access the comcast newsgroups? Or does the quote i pasted in below only apply to the Giganews accounts?

http://online.comcast.net/help/faq-detail.asp?intFaqID=48

How do I sign up for newsgroups?

1. Go to http://www.comcast.net and log in to your primary Comcast High-Speed Internet account.
2. Click on the Member Services button from the Comcast High-Speed Internet home page.
3. Click on the Manage My Account button, and click on the Access Newsgroups link (you will only be able to access the newsgroup sign-up screen from Comcast's network).
4. From the newsgroup sign-up screen, enter your full name.
5. Enter your primary Comcast High-Speed Internet user name (your primary e-mail address without "@comcast.net").
6. Review the Terms and Policies and click Yes to accept.
7. Click the Enable Account button, and then click the Finish button on the Congratulations Welcome screen.
8. After 24 hours, check your primary Comcast High-Speed Internet e-mail account for your newsgroup user name and password.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: UncleWai
It's just for usenet.
If it's 1GB/month for internet, I would have set the comcast building on fire.

Yeah, this thread almost scared the crap out of me.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Only a 1Gig limit here in TN on comcast. Sucked going from unlimited and ultra fast @Home servers to comcast last year. I use the comcast news only for occasional fills and/or small files (say mp3s or something like that). There's a lot of overhead on newsgroups, and 1gig isn't all that much.

I pay for my service now and I'm happy. www.newsfeeds.com is a good site with decent prices if you pay annual. Pretty good retention and plenty of servers. I've never maxed out enough server to not get what I wanted in a single day.

Anyone know what Knology's deal is? From reading, they provide SuperNews accounts, but I can't find anywhere that says it's limited. I'm buying a house soon, and I'm hoping it's in a Knology location. Anyone know about SuperNews for that matter? Their stats on their site look real impressive as far as groups and retention.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: royaldankAnyone know what Knology's deal is? From reading, they provide SuperNews accounts, but I can't find anywhere that says it's limited. I'm buying a house soon, and I'm hoping it's in a Knology location. Anyone know about SuperNews for that matter? Their stats on their site look real impressive as far as groups and retention.
Knology has no limit or cap. Downloading from newsgroups at 1 mbit is fun :D

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
If you don't like it, get a different ISP. Problem solved.

I wish I could, but Comcast is the only ISP in my neighborhood for high speed internet access.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I haven't heard a damn thing about it from Comcast. The only thing that Comcast is currently imposing a total download limit is news servers, and that has been in place for quite some time.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
I haven't heard a damn thing about it from Comcast. The only thing that Comcast is currently imposing a total download limit is news servers, and that has been in place for quite some time.
That is what he is talking about.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
using netnews.comcast.net and no bandwidth limits yet.

same ips just as when it was netnews.attbi.com (per dslreports thread)

i hope they dont switch to giganews..

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
That is what he is talking about.

Then he's just now complaining? Oh that's right, he's one of those kind of people... the ones that *DESERVE* whatever they demand and see fit.

rolleye.gif

Didn't we just go over this with someone getting nailed by Comcast for downloading Mullholand Drive off of eDonkey?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Spam has rendered the usenet useless to me. How do you sort out the quality posts?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

1 GB/month US$7.95
6 GB/month US$11.95
8 GB/month US$15.95
12 GB/month US$22.95
16 GB/month US$29.95
25 GB/month US$44.95
50 GB/month US$79.95

Easynews is cheaper at 6 gig for 9.98 (1.50/gig) compare to the cheapest giganews rate at 50GB for $80 (1.60/gig.) what is gianews retention, easynews has 25+ days.

KK