AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Spoooooooooooon, try messing around with the HDR and/or DRO options within the nex3 camera, you probably won't have to do any PP to get the same effects with some of the pictures.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Spoooooooooooon, try messing around with the HDR and/or DRO options within the nex3 camera, you probably won't have to do any PP to get the same effects with some of the pictures.

Yeah, I find that the NEX does a pretty good job OOC. I leave it on the intelligent auto mode for my wife, RAW+JPG.

A37, 17-50 2.8, Lightroom for the below shot

DSC07103-XL.jpg

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Some pics from my USA trip:

Edit: I don't know why uploaded pics aren't looking as sharp?

bryce_zpsb39d02f6.jpg

squirell1_zpscef79d76.jpg

naigra2_zpse65445a1.jpg

niagra1_zps8827b7e9.jpg

Last edited:

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Shot looks great! What is that thing in the lower right hand corner?

Danke!
That thing is a vintage desk lamp. Perhaps 60s era? Closed up it roughly resembles an egg because the top and bottom are bullet shaped. The top extends on a telescoping arm. Black and chrome.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Overly soft, but still kinda nice. It's an HDR shot, created from 3 bracketed photos:
Rainier%20brook%20HDR-XL.jpg

DSC_6569-XL.jpg

DSC_6550-XL.jpg

A shot taken at night from the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort parking lot, full moon. The Tokina wide angle lens has serious barrel distortion. I had no tripod, so the camera was resting on the roof of my car. Click photos for full res.:

I fed the last photo through the Astrometry blind astronomer. Here's what I got:
http://nova.astrometry.net/annotated_full/75888
More info here:
http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/63497#annotated

The bright star directly below the tail of Lyra is Epsilon Lyrae, or the Double Double - two binary stars orbiting each other. I plan to point an 85mm prime at that soon, see if I can get better resolution on it using my Astrotrac.

Last edited:

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
taken from ocracoke island last weekend with my lx7, finished with some help from lightroom.

GemPla9.jpg

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
single exposure. i think 40 seconds, should have stopped at 30. live and learn :) cant really complain though.

ocracoke is a small barrier island. one end has a small village, less than 1000 full time inhabitants, and some touristy stuff (condos, bars, campgrounds)

RayMatthewsOcracokeAerialweb.jpg

the other end is thin, and nobody really spends time at the other end, so i went there saturday night to take the shot. theres almost no light pollution even in town (we could see the haze of the milky way from the campground with lights on all over the place), so 15 miles away it was pitch black outside, which was perfect.

checked lightroom: 50 seconds. whatever. the one i did of 40 seconds was framed the same but the colors didnt pop so much

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
theres almost no light pollution even in town (we could see the haze of the milky way from the campground with lights on all over the place), so 15 miles away it was pitch black outside, which was perfect.
should have taken some Milkyway pics too...nice photo nonetheless :thumbsup:

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Here's a 50mm zoom of Sagittarius and the Milky Way along with several star clusters. Click the photo to see the notes on flickr, I labeled a lot of stuff. For reference this zoomed area is located in the lower right of xSauronx's wide angle Milky Way photo.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Here's a 50mm zoom of Sagittarius and the Milky Way along with several star clusters. Click the photo to see the notes on flickr, I labeled a lot of stuff. For reference this zoomed area is located in the lower right of xSauronx's wide angle Milky Way photo.

I'm surprised by the settings. Only 8 seconds? Why not push it to 20? :D

Awesome shot - Astrometry is awesome.

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
I'm surprised by the settings. Only 8 seconds? Why not push it to 20? :D

Awesome shot - Astrometry is awesome.

Thanks! At 50mm 8 seconds was the max I could get away with before I got star trails. I would need a tracking mount for longer exposures at that focal length.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks! At 50mm 8 seconds was the max I could get away with before I got star trails. I would need a tracking mount for longer exposures at that focal length.

Weird - I was shooting my 35mm on APS-C which is equiv to 50mm and saw no star trails at 20 seconds.

I've got an astrotrac right now, so once I get good with a 35mm and 50mm, I play to buy a sigma 85mm 1.4 lens to play with.

Spoooon, where are you taking those shots?

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Weird - I was shooting my 35mm on APS-C which is equiv to 50mm and saw no star trails at 20 seconds.

I've got an astrotrac right now, so once I get good with a 35mm and 50mm, I play to buy a sigma 85mm 1.4 lens to play with.

I also have APS-C so my 50mm is more like 80mm. Maybe I'm pixel peeping too much but even the trailing at 10 seconds usually bugs me.

An 85mm 1.4 would be a nice toy for astrophotography. :)

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000

Spoooon, where are you taking those shots?

Closed down state hospital in Columbia, SC. It used to be the South Carolina State Hospital for the Insane.

Here's a few more:

DSC07996-XL.jpg

DSC07930-3-XL.jpg

DSC07973-XL.jpg

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

oooh, nice. the lx7 is a nice little point and shoot, but down the road ill get a good mirrorless and decent zoom lens. i think i need to learn manual control better first (and some other things), but ill get there...i just dont want the bulk of a dslr.