AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Wasp was gnawing on some worm-looking thing... I went to get closer and it flew away with this gnarly thing hanging from it's feet/mouth.

P1010943.jpg

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
My one iffy keeper from a day full of wasted shots due to not checking my settings. Taken at Wakulla Springs in Florida on a Nikon D5100 with 55-200 kit lens.

so9a.jpg

And one more.
mcf6.jpg

Last edited:

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
dang it i need tamron lens STAT!!! there is so much clarity in your pictures compared to my stock 18-50 nikor lens. is the tamron really that sharp that a newbie can take pictures like that with his D40 SLR?

my request, can you please tell me what camera and lens you are using in your photos?

Thanks everyone.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
dang it i need tamron lens STAT!!! there is so much clarity in your pictures compared to my stock 18-50 nikor lens. is the tamron really that sharp that a newbie can take pictures like that with his D40 SLR?

my request, can you please tell me what camera and lens you are using in your photos?

Thanks everyone.

Looks more like HDR than the actual lense giving the wow factor.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Looks more like HDR than the actual lense giving the wow factor.

Not HDR, but the PP does make a difference.

Thanks everyone.

The big advantage of the 17-50 is that it's faster than your kit lens. The 17-50 might be better optically, but I don't know that it'd show up in a picture unless you were pixel peeping.

The below was shot with my 18-55 back when I barely knew anything. I processed it differently, one is fairly flat, the other not so much.

_DSC1793-XL.jpg

_DSC1793-2-XL.jpg

007ELmO

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2005
By PP do you mean Post Processing, and are you using paint.net or photoshop, what settings?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
By PP do you mean Post Processing, and are you using paint.net or photoshop, what settings?

Post processing. I shoot RAW, mostly use Lightroom.

I try to get the shot properly exposed as close as possible, bring up the shadows, reduce highlights, then adjust white and black levels. Depending on what I'm going for, I might boost the clarity way high.

That duck picture I posted a while back, below is a JPG from the zeroed out RAW file. As you can see, the sky is properly exposed, the rest of the image is underexposed (though I did my best to avoid clipping). Basically, I tried to capture as much information as I could knowing that I would be processing it later.

DSC06322-2-XL.jpg

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I'm too damn lazy, my photos are usually as they are coming out of the camera. OK, so I do a bit of cropping, mostly just resizing.

I do need to learn how to do some works with post-processing. I have some photos of sunsets where I took two photos, one was exposed for the sun/sky, and the other water. Now I need to learn how to put them together.

What do you guys use? Something that's preferably free, and easy to use. Reiterating that I'm lazy. :D

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I'm too damn lazy, my photos are usually as they are coming out of the camera. OK, so I do a bit of cropping, mostly just resizing.

I do need to learn how to do some works with post-processing. I have some photos of sunsets where I took two photos, one was exposed for the sun/sky, and the other water. Now I need to learn how to put them together.

What do you guys use? Something that's preferably free, and easy to use. Reiterating that I'm lazy. :D

GIMP has a plugin (Exposure Blend) that you could use to combine multiple exposures. I thought it worked pretty good. If you want to share small jpgs of your shots, I can combine them for you before you go to the trouble of installing GIMP and the plugin.

DSC06616-XL.jpg

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Thanks Spoooon, I'm going to mess with it myself. Gotta learn eventually, right?

Maybe I'll just use my camera's DRO/Auto HDR function and call it a day... lol.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Took a few quick pics with an NEX-F3 that I bought from another forum member.

Pretty nice, surprised at how much I missed having access to manual controls.

These are all ISO 3200, fairly minimal noise reduction.

DSC01255-L.jpg

DSC01257-L.jpg

One with the A37, ISO 3200 (they both have the same sensor), same amount of NR.

DSC06696-L.jpg

out of camera jpg:

DSC01260-L.jpg

PP from RAW:

DSC01260-L.jpg

Last edited:

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
Last edited: