Asus R9 290x DCII (Guru3D Review)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
290X is still competing with the 780, 780 Ti is in another tier.

At 1600P, 290X is 24% faster than a 780 and is beaten by 780 by just 4%.
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/asus-radeon-r9-290x-directcu-ii-oc-im-test/3/

If you had any reviews, the comments from HardOCP and PCPer is that there is no tangible difference in IQ or performance on average when swapping out R9 290X for 780Ti.

780Ti is in another tier once it's overclocked to 1.2-1.3Ghz.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
290X is still competing with the 780, 780 Ti is in another tier.

By the same token it's competing with the 290, and to be honest the 290x really makes no sense outside of look see graphs.

Looks like the 780 Ti is literally on a higher tier than 290/290X, according to Tom's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Once overclocked the 290's can catch up, but the 780 Ti can also overclock, so in the end it's got the edge for common gamer resolutions:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780_Ti/27.html

At 1080p for instance, the 780 Ti is a little more than 8% faster than the 290X. The difference narrows as you go up in resolution to a little over 7% at 2560x1600. Although 7-8% doesn't sount like much, consider that a GTX 670 is within 7-9% of a GTX 680.

I guess it all boils down to what one considers a "tier." Some tiers are bigger than others. Tom's uses very little tiers so a one-tier difference is marginal. Other people seem to group cards into much larger categories so that a GTX670 and 680 are on the same tier, for example.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I just have to ask, what is this NVidia ecosystem that has somehow become the shining star of video card purchases? Seriously, is that what we're touting now. So, NVidia's magical drivers somehow make a video card worth $150 to $200 premium, Give me a break.

No point in even trying to convince NV loyalists to switch or pay similar prices for AMD cards even if AMD cards are 10-12% faster (7970GE vs. 680) and cost less. Really for the last 4 years there have been 2 distinct choices for GPU upgrades: Get AMD card upgrades for free or pay for NV. When given the option between free GPUs (a once in a decade development) and paying $500-750 for NV GPUs, the choice has never been easier. Even if GTX780Ti cost $400 right now, it's still too expensive since R9 290/X are free. :D

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
G-Sync
Adaptive V-Sync
PhysX
CUDA
3+ screen without displayport adapters
Better 3D compatibility
Shadowplay
GeForce Experience
Longer driver support (more generations covered)
Better SLI implementation (except vs R9 29_ series)

AMD has better bang for the buck, and Mantle which isn't quite out yet, but NV built up so much brand equity that it gets to reap the rewards just like Apple has a devoted following willing to pay more for arguably less hardware. Because their software "just works."

So you're right, there is no point in arguing AMD vs NV. So can we stop talking about NV in a thread about AMD's products?

Let's get back on topic and talk about the ASUS R9 290X DCII (Guru3D Review)!

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2013/asus-radeon-r9-290x-directcu-ii-oc-im-test/3/

If you had any reviews, the comments from HardOCP and PCPer is that there is no tangible difference in IQ or performance on average when swapping out R9 290X for 780Ti.

But ... it's on another tier according to a couple people. :confused:

Looks like the 780 Ti is literally on a higher tier than 290/290X, according to Tom's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

That chart has no meaning imo and doesn't prove that it's on another tier. They don't even mention how they got it on a different tier, it's likely based on pricing and not on performance going by computerbase & TPU's numbers. Actually it is based on price all the recommendations are if you are spending X buy this card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GTX_780_Ti_Jet_Stream/24.html

(not directed at you blastingcap)
This whole discussion is ridiculous anyway. There is no magic in NV's software that is worth a premium for most people. My last major driver issues I had were in the GTX 5xx series (artifacting/etc. known bug BF3) but this generation has been fine on both sides. The 780 ti is marginally faster, however using some temporary price gouging doesn't sway it much. The 290x and 780 ti are pretty close, so even at $630 (ridiculous gouging) the performance / $ isn't even out of line with the absurdly priced 780 ti, the premise for this discussion appears to be nothing more than trying to justify purchases/brands and uses subjective data since the objective data doesn't align.

Trying to justify the price with subjective statements "experience" etc. proves there is no basis to the argument. Utilizing price gouging which isn't even high enough to throw it out of the price/performance curve is also a pretty weak argument without merit. Trying to justify it based off of highly overclocked models vs. reference etc. all undermine the argument.

The highly overclocked ti's are good, no doubt about it, the arguments used to try justify it however are not.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The whole 'software ecosystem' reads like nvidia marketing to me. That is what nvidia markets on. They put out that laundry list of features/'ecosystem' and use that to market their cards and convey brand value.

I usually have nvidia cards in my main PC for one reason and it has nothing to do with a claimed 'ecosystem'. It's because they manage to put out the fastest single GPU card time and again.

If you're talking about these upper tier cards, for me the only I argument I see for the 780ti is that it's the best card in terms of performance in a single-GPU. It also costs $700, so once MSRP settles on AMD cards a $420 aftermarket R9 290 is going to be amazing for the amount of performance it delivers. The only card that can deliver a faster experience you can feel will be a 780ti for $300 more.

Why the derailment of yet another thread with discussions of the 780ti and subjective opinions of the existence of a supposed 'ecosystem' ? The 780ti only makes sense if you want the very best, it's a $700 card. If someone is going to get a 780ti, they're not considering the R9 290 or 780, the 780ti is the current pedigree halo card with the associated 'tax'.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
But ... it's on another tier according to a couple people. :confused:

That chart has no meaning imo and doesn't prove that it's on another tier. They don't even mention how they got it on a different tier, it's likely based on pricing and not on performance going by computerbase & TPU's numbers. Actually it is based on price all the recommendations are if you are spending X buy this card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GTX_780_Ti_Jet_Stream/24.html

(not directed at you blastingcap)
This whole discussion is ridiculous anyway. There is no magic in NV's software that is worth a premium for most people. My last major driver issues I had were in the GTX 5xx series (artifacting/etc. known bug BF3) but this generation has been fine on both sides. The 780 ti is marginally faster, however using some temporary price gouging doesn't sway it much. The 290x and 780 ti are pretty close, so even at $630 (ridiculous gouging) the performance / $ isn't even out of line with the absurdly priced 780 ti, the premise for this discussion appears to be nothing more than trying to justify purchases/brands and uses subjective data since the objective data doesn't align.

Trying to justify the price with subjective statements "experience" etc. proves there is no basis to the argument. Utilizing price gouging which isn't even high enough to throw it out of the price/performance curve is also a pretty weak argument without merit. Trying to justify it based off of highly overclocked models vs. reference etc. all undermine the argument.

The highly overclocked ti's are good, no doubt about it, the arguments used to try justify it however are not.

I was guessing what Balla might have been talking about in regards to "tier." I guess Tom's would place it on a higher tier. And that's supposed to be a performance tier, not a price tier, btw.

Balla sometimes doesn't give cites, like when he claimed GCN was 5% of the market and made me pull Steam Hardware Survey stats to verify (he was actually right about that 5% figure based on SHS, but I believe SHS overcounts iGPUs/APUs that aren't being used).

Personally I'm a "big tier" person like I described in my previous post--I *would* group stuff like GTX670/680 together, or 290/290X together. Hell I would go even bigger tier than that. I like, nasty, filthy leaps in performance from one tier to another, like 25%+. And I would include OC vs OC because I don't run @ stock.

NV doesn't compete on price. We all know that already, let's stop beating a dead horse. NV is not for people who want highest bang for the buck--those people buy AMD GPUs and Android smartphones rather than NV GPUs and Apple iPhones. NV's CEO has publicly said he wants his company to be more like Apple (premium products, premium price), and I think he was dead serious about it.

Like it or not, some people actually value stuff like G-Sync, Shadowplay, PhysX, SHIELD, game bundles, etc. even if you don't. And by "you" I don't mean Wanderer, I mean "AMD fans." And the iPhone/NV buyer who wants things to "just work" is less likely to want to mess around with mining.

One thing I've noticed is that most pretty women use iPhones, at least where I live. The ratio has got to be at least 5:1 iPhone:everything-else (Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc.). They don't care if they're getting less bang for the buck, they just want things to work, and they can afford it, either from their own jobs or because they have rich boyfriends or husbands. They don't care about price, and you can talk all day long about bang for the buck but at the end of the day they want something that "just works" and has a great camera and is the same brand as what all their other pretty girlfriends carry. You can cry about price/perf and unlocked phones and getting out of the walled garden all day long, and they don't give a crap. Same thing with NV vs AMD. If you want to be like the Android fanboy attempting to convince the pretty lady that she should switch from Apple, good luck.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that all NV buyers are girls--and even if they were, there would be nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that there will always be that hard core of NV fans that simply don't care about your pro-AMD arguments, period, because of a bad AMD driver or whatever from years ago. They don't care that AMD drivers are better now. There are also people who care about NV exclusives like PhysX, adaptive VSync, CUDA, G-Sync, ShadowPlay, GeForce Experience, etc. They care a lot more than you might think. It took years for AMD to figure this out, and I think that's why AMD is also starting to offer exclusives like TrueAudio and Mantle (though technically Mantle is not an exclusive, AMD would be stupid not to optimize it for GCN). NV's rep for quality is a huge asset as well, bumpgate aside... the market for people who want things that "just work" is enormous, as evidenced by how the total console market is much bigger than the PC gaming market, and by how Steam makes it all too easy to buy and run games fully patched and updated and with a Friends chat system already in place--to the point where many people with DRM-free games actually want to add them to Steam anyway for convenience. Lastly, NV's sheer market share is an asset. If most of your friends are on NV, that's going to create peer pressure to buy NV too. When my gf was in the market for her first smartphone years ago, it took everything I had to convince her to NOT get an iPhone like most of her friends already had. (We both went Android because Verizon was going to stop offering unlimited 4G LTE really soon, and the only 4G LTE phones available were Android phones. We are now both grandfathered in. If it weren't for the Unlimited 4G LTE issue, I may have gotten an iPhone instead.)

If you think about it, many people buy things NOT strictly on bang for the buck. Many people do buy cars based on price vs consumer ratings for miles per gallon, horsepower, etc. but many people give heavy weight to things like styling, sex appeal, reliability, country of manufacture, etc. as well. Or like cigarettes, chewing gum, or even soda. Pepsi outperforms Coke on taste tests but Coke is by FAR more popular because Coke's "lifestyle" advertisements are so good, and there is so much inertia and market share behind Coke.

So guys, lighten up and try to see the world from someone else's perspective, even if you disagree with them.

Sorry for the wordiness.

Can we talk about the ASUS card now? I'm particularly excited about the hybrid fan on the back.

Last edited:

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
lol, nvidia fans are like apple fans

sick burn

Trolling/thread crapping is not allowed. You had already been warned. -Shmee

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Until the card can physically be purchased - and the deviation from MSRP known for fact - I think ALL discussion of price is off-topic, personally.

What got me most excited by this review were the subjective impressions about noise. When I read that the reviewer could hear zero volume difference between the quiet and performances modes, these was great.

I would still like to see Crossfire reviews, however, because the heat of these cards is only moderately reduced by the better cooler. What will the temps be in cases where the card has another one a few centimeters away, and they're both OC'd?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010

Yep, the 780 GHz comes out of the box just shy of reference 780 Ti performance. It's biggest impediment at that res is the bandwidth difference so you'd need to OC the mem on GHz to really close the gap.

At 1080p however which is what I'm still at the card is ridiculously close to the reference 780 Ti.

It's really hard to find reviews for it, but here is something:

Crysis_01.png

Mine came out of the box with a boost clock of 1167MHz.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Until the card can physically be purchased - and the deviation from MSRP known for fact - I think ALL discussion of price is off-topic, personally.

Basically. Where will the "AMD = value" arguments be when this supposedly "cheaper" card hits retail at 699$ MSRP like the Gigabyte 290X windforce did. I'm sure the miners who don't even play PC games will buy it no matter what though.

Last edited:

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Basically. It's going to be pretty hilarious when this supposedly "cheaper" card hits retail at 699$ MSRP like the Gigabyte 290X windforce did. I'm sure the miners who don't even play PC games will buy it no matter what though.

He's referring to you too

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
If i get only one R9 290X DCUII From ASUS do you think that im gonna get very bad temps overall inside my Corsair 600T? I have one 200mm from Bitfenix as Intake and one AF120 as exhaust and a Closed Loop Solverstone TD02 in the top in pull.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Enough, both of you. Member callouts and personal attacks are NOT allowed.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I can't understand how anyone can claim that AMD cards are "free". If the coin mining is what it refers to, then that's in no way a fair characteristic. Mining gives you a noise penalty, it demands that you make an effort to set up the whole thing with wallets and accounts, there is a definite risk in losing parts or all what you've mined because of frauds and crashes, and there is no guarantee whatsoever what kind of price you will be able to sell your coins for in on of the most unstable markets that have ever existed. If I actually enjoyed doing stuff like that I'd play with penny stocks, or hell I would just gamble because that's at least fun.

I've been an AMD owner since 2008 upgrading every generation and I'd still be if it wasn't for the delay and price issue with the custom 290* cards. But there's no way it can be argued that coin mining means a free card considering the work and the risks involved.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Funny thing is... assuming you plan on gaming with your rig also, the NV cards are a kind of a less risky / better deal for mining now that everything AMD has inflated massively in price.

A few days ago I saw a 780 for $420 after promo codes on Newegg, you can get around 550 kH/s out of one now. Now, that isn't as good as a 7970 at 700 kH/s but when the market crashes or difficulty gets too high, AMD cards will lose like half their value or more (based on current prices) and NV will stay the same.

So grab a 780 or 780 Ti, mine with it, get some coins, then you may be able to pick up some AMD cards with the profits when they're going cheap.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Yup, I've crunched the numbers (see the bitcoin thread), and you can buy a card for $X or you can spend 1/10th of $X and simply buy the coin directly and hold onto it. Historically they both turn the same profit. In fact if you are so gung-ho and bullish about coins, you can spend the full $X on buying and holding coins, and historically that has been 10 to 20 times more profitable.

For people who don't want the hassle of mining, and the wear and tear, power/heat/angry significant other issues, buying an NV card and tossing a few bucks into buying and holding coins may actually be just as economic right now as buying an equally powerful but more expensive AMD card and mining hoping to get it "free," given how inflated AMD card prices are. Used 7950s are going for $350-400. BRAND NEW ones with warranty were as low as $150 on sale a couple of months ago.

If coins go to zero, the most the buy-and-holder loses is the money spent directly on the coin. If coins go to zero, miners lose depreciation on hardware (7950s will be back to $150 or less instead of $350-400 right now) and more importantly, miners pay for every watt of mining, which if you mine long enough can be hundreds or thousands of dollars' worth of electricity per card. So you might think you are risking only a little money by paying inflated AMD video card prices, but if you mine long enough you are actually gambling hundreds or thousands of dollars per card, via your power bill. Even if you have free power you still have the heat/noise/wear and tear/etc. issues.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I can't understand how anyone can claim that AMD cards are "free".

Because once Card A pays for itself, it starts earning funds towards future free GPU upgrades. Every GPU upgrade after the first card is free financially.

If the coin mining is what it refers to, then that's in no way a fair characteristic. Mining gives you a noise penalty,

So does video gaming. That's not a valid argument. A lot of us mine at night/in the day in the office room/computer room and when we are at work and game in the evenings. If noise bothers you when gaming, it would be no different than mining unless you only live in a bachelor/1 bedroom where the computer is in your bedroom.

it demands that you make an effort to set up the whole thing with wallets and accounts,

OK, just like your job demands you do to ABCD and you get paid for doing some work. It took me 1 day to set up BTC and my 7970s they made me enough money for a lifetime of free GPU upgrades for top-of-the-line cards (if I chose to hypothetically spend the $ like that, which I won't do unless mining continues...). So let's say it takes you 1 week to learn and set it up, the reward far outweighs the "effort." In your case if you start now, you'd still probably be able to get 2-3 free R9 290s, or you can choose to go the NV route and spend $1000-1500 of your own money on 780s that are not any faster.

there is a definite risk in losing parts

Brand new GPUs have 2-3 year warranties and will be replaced under warranty if they fail. AIBs do not care if your GPU failed because of gaming, rendering or scrypt mining workload. Future GPUs cost nothing to acquire since existing GPUs pay for future GPU upgrades. Therefore, if a GPU dies, you don't lose any material amount of $.

or all what you've mined because of frauds and crashes,

That's why you can set up different wallets. Plus wallets such as Electrum allow you to back up your coins even if your computer dies.

and there is no guarantee whatsoever what kind of price you will be able to sell your coins for in on of the most unstable markets that have ever existed.

There are 2 GPUs, GTX780 and R9 290 that perform roughly the same. The AMD GPU starts to make $ on day 1 and GTX780 does not. Even BTC/LTC crashes in 3 days, the AMD GPU is already cheaper. The longer BTC/LTC prices are maintained, the more the GPU pays for itself and starts accumulating funds towards more free GPUs.

If I actually enjoyed doing stuff like that I'd play with penny stocks, or hell I would just gamble because that's at least fun.

There is no gambling involved unless you buy the coins with your own funds. Let's say a gamer wants to build a gaming PC with 1-3 GPUs, he/she is thinking of buying R9 290s or GTX780s. Where is the gamble? If scrypt mining fail, you end up with gaming GPUs you were going to buy anyway, and otherwise you can resell them very easily. It is not at all like gambling unless you buy 10 GPUs upfront or something.

I've been an AMD owner since 2008 upgrading every generation and I'd still be if it wasn't for the delay and price issue with the custom 290* cards. But there's no way it can be argued that coin mining means a free card considering the work and the risks involved.

It is free financially since over time the GPU pays for itself. The same was impossible to do with NV GPUs wrt to BTC mining. If you started mining since HD4870/4890 days, you would have 10-50 years of free GPU upgrades. Back in the days a single 4890 made more than 1 coin per day and if you held just 10 coins just in case, and used all the other ones to upgrade to 6900/7900/R9 290 series, you'd still have decades of free GPU upgrades. Now it's obviously not the same situation with LTC and no one can guarantee that you can make tens of thousands of dollars from LTC mining as you could have with BTC, but you can still get free R9 290s. Or you can be like the rest of the naysayers and keep ignoring this once in a decade opportunity. For the last 3-4 years NV users ignored BTC and now they are downplaying LTC. It's the same tune from them. In that time an AMD user spent $0 on GPU upgrades. That's 4 years of free GPU upgrades. Think about that. Worst case, if a person hates the CF experience on R9 290s, in 2 months, they just sell those cards since they will have paid for themselves and buy GTX780s which are now "free" from scrypt mining funds on R9 290s.

Didn't want to derail the thread into mining but the whole point is that once people realize that mining allows the AMD GPUs to become free, whether an R9 290 is $400, $500, $600 doesn't really matter. Instead of it paying for itself in 1 month, it'll take 1.5-2 months. Compared to any NV offerings, an after-market R9 280/290/X card is a "bargain" at this time. Until scrypt mining on GPUs dies and/or supply from AIBs increases significantly, the prices are unlikely to drop back down to $399 for R9 290. $100-150 over MSRP is 2-3 weeks of mining which is not a lot considering a lot of PC gamers keep their GPUs for 12-15 months before upgrades, if not longer.

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I don't mean to disrespect your post by giving a short answer, but I can't see that you have even mentioned the electricity costs. And given the fluctuations in the market its not even possible to recommend a specific coin anymore that will break even with electricity cost, at least not one that has had reliable prices for weeks or even months. There's no way I will be switching coin type every week with all the fluctuations going on. I am completely aware that BTC used to be profitable for a good while, LTC for a shorter while, now everything is up in the air and demands a ton of effort watching exchange rates with no guarantees of anything. There's a value in not having to deal with that in addition to not even needing to parttake in risks and headaches and security issues of owning these "assets".

I did my current upgrade for various reasons, but one of the major ones was noise. Going from reference 7970 to Asus 780 DC2 was heavenly. And I do live in a relatively cramped space so yes it is an issue. But from what I've been able to gather from reading lately, the DC2 290X does still get hotter and makes more noise than the other cards from the DC2 series simply because the chip demands it. In addition to it being so late, I needed both the performance and the quiet sooner than AMD could deliver it, and they could not even deliver on the noise even on the 3rd party models which took even longer to come out.