Question Asus Prime X570-P USB-C issues

dantes

Dec 11, 1999
My mobo is Asus Prime X570-P but it doesn't have usb-c, so I am trying to add it, however when I stick a usb-c card into 2nd pcie 16x slow, I think it becomes 1x slot since speed is capped at 200MB/s. I also have a thunderbolt 3 external hd with USB-C connector and I connected to the back of it in usb-a 3.2 gen 2 connector via adapter and still is still capped at 200MBs, when it should be at LEAST 450MB/s (for gen 1 speeds).

I wondered if it's a x570 issue or something else... Mobo patch is from july or august of this year, but before I mess with flashing bios or something else, I am curious if there are other ideas to try first

TIA!

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Tough to say, according to the manual the second pcie x16 slot is actually hanging off of x570 chipset and is sharing bandwidth with all the other peripherals you may or may not have. That said, 200MB/s is way too low. It would be a PITA, but I would suggest you swap videocard and usb-c card slots to determine if it's the PCIE slot of the usb-c card itself that's the issue.

dantes

Dec 11, 1999
Tough to say, according to the manual the second pcie x16 slot is actually hanging off of x570 chipset and is sharing bandwidth with all the other peripherals you may or may not have. That said, 200MB/s is way too low. It would be a PITA, but I would suggest you swap videocard and usb-c card slots to determine if it's the PCIE slot of the usb-c card itself that's the issue.
I did that and same thing. This motherboard wouldn't have been my choice but I am stuck with it, so I am trying to find a way to get better bw for the external devices...

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If you've already tried USB-C card in the top most PCIEx16 slot then I can only assume it's a crappy USB-C card. Even PCIE x1 1.0 has 250MB/s throughput. As a last ditch effort you can try HWInfo or similar hardware program to check PCIe speed, I think HWInfo should show you negotiated speed between CPU and USB-C card.

Reactions: utmode

dantes

Dec 11, 1999
If you've already tried USB-C card in the top most PCIEx16 slot then I can only assume it's a crappy USB-C card. Even PCIE x1 1.0 has 250MB/s throughput. As a last ditch effort you can try HWInfo or similar hardware program to check PCIe speed, I think HWInfo should show you negotiated speed between CPU and USB-C card.

I will check HWInfo

the card is: Sonnet Allegro USB 3.1, Two-Port USB-C 10Gb PCIe Card https://www.amazon.com/Sonnet-Allegro-Two-Port-USB-C-USB3C-2PM/dp/B0763TPXRL/

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
If that's the USB3C-2PM-E Sonnet part number, it's an ASmedia 3142 for recent cards, ASM 1142 for cards older than April 2020. That's off the Sonnet site.

legolas_tk

Apr 16, 2008
What kind of drives are in the Thunderbolt 3 external HD please? Usually hard drives are limited to 110MB/s to 218MB/s transfer rate (Example: WD Green - WD Black (fast)). The SATA 6Gb/s is the bandwidth limit for the transfer rate in this issue. Hope that helps.