ASUS Prime X470 - Fans stay on after shutdown.

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
Having trouble trying to fix this. When I shut the system down, whether from Start menu or Power button, the case and cooling fans keep running. The only way to turn them off is to shut off power at the PSU. I've reset CMOS via the jumpers per ASUS spec and reviewed Windows power options. Nothing changes.

Running Stock 4011 (current) bios settings except for DOCP to reflect the rated speed of the Ram speed, but tested full stock and other variants with no difference.

I'm not the first to have this problem, but it's not that common and none recent. ASUS said they were escalating to engineering but haven't heard back yet. Anyone know something I don't?

Hate to have to disassemble, RMA and put it all back together again. Moreover, I'm loath to get another Prime X470. Can someone recommend a better ASUS board that's not a lot more expensive.

AMD 2700x
Asus Prime X470-Pro Bios 4011
G.SKILL Flare X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Corsair HI60 v2018 liquid
Nvidea Gforce 1060 Founders Ed.
Seasonic Focus 650 gold
Samsung Evo 970 M.2
Corsair 270R box
Windows 10-64bit

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It could be what VirtualLarry suggested, but if that's not it, take a look at your various sleep states in your BIOS. It's not a common issue, but since your motherboard is newer, maybe there's a BIOS glitch Asus missed.

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
It could be what VirtualLarry suggested, but if that's not it, take a look at your various sleep states in your BIOS. It's not a common issue, but since your motherboard is newer, maybe there's a BIOS glitch Asus missed.

ASUS support didn't have a bios solution. I'm just returning it. Disappointed.

I am open to suggestions, as in a better board option.

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
Mine definitely doesn't do this. It's been pretty solid tbf.

Seems to run fine, but for that one flaw. I upgraded myself to their Strix version. Not sure it was necessary, but since I was there. I expect it will be a '60s light show, although I'm hoping not.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Seems to run fine, but for that one flaw. I upgraded myself to their Strix version. Not sure it was necessary, but since I was there. I expect it will be a '60s light show, although I'm hoping not.
Yeah, I'm totally not on board with this 'disco lights on everything' thing that's going on.

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
Okay, going to give this another go. Installed a new motherboard, ASUS ROX Strix X470. Short version: It wasn't the ASUS Prime X470 motherboard. The fan problem persists.

Now here's the rub if you're thinking Win 10 power options. First, there's no integrity violations, but beyond all that there's this which I guess I didn't clarify originally: I can power off at the PSU, unplug even, leave it that way overnight and next day power on at the PSU and the fans and cooler and video card fan instantly go on. So it can't be a system function, particularly since Restore AC Power Loss is set to Power Off as is Power on by PCI-E (Disabled).

Now Seasonic tech says their PSUs don't push power, and assuming that applies to the unit I'm using, then it has to be a device connected to the motherboard, of which there are six (video card, M.2 SSD, Corsair H60 liquid cooler and the three case fans). I'm not entirely clear on how bios functions, but it seems as if it wouldn't apply as the normal "power on" case button hasn't been deployed.

And so, logically, I'm left with the notion that one of these devices is pulling power from the PSU and that's enough to run the fans. Does that make sense to anyone? The only thing that I can think of is the cooler, and mostly because it's using a SATA connector for pump power. But, the fact the video card fan runs as well might be an indicator. I supposed it's easy enough to test the card. The cooler and the M.2 SSD are a different matter.

Needless to say, I'm entirely befuddled.

Last edited:

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
First thing I'd suspect now is the PS.

Indeed, and having taken apart an older system sufficiently to use the old PSU to power up the new system, it shut down as advertised.

Building these things is easy, but quality control or the lack thereof, makes the whole process something of a nightmare a bit too frequently.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Indeed, and having taken apart an older system sufficiently to use the old PSU to power up the new system, it shut down as advertised.

Building these things is easy, but quality control or the lack thereof, makes the whole process something of a nightmare a bit too frequently.

It sucks trying to figure out what is wrong, but computer components are complex items, and like anything else that is manufactured, there will never be zero defective rate. I imagine Seasonic has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, DOA rate among any PSU manufacturer out there.

dowhopdedodo

Nov 2, 2007
I imagine Seasonic has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, DOA rate among any PSU manufacturer out there.

I've been buying their PSU's since 2007 without a problem. As for customer support, the chat person I spoke with was Sam and the service and help was about the best I've encountered.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've been buying their PSU's since 2007 without a problem. As for customer support, the chat person I spoke with was Sam and the service and help was about the best I've encountered.

That's good then. Nothing is worse than dealing with a defective product, and the company's customer service is horrible. I've never used Seasonic's support, but I have seen a couple people say it was pretty painless.

Batboy88

Jul 17, 2018
Yeah I sent them the F board Strix back to them after it started boot looping and other wierd redacted...and Bent a damn pin in the Process....I don't know they sent it back like two week later doing thew same stuff....

Profanity is not allowed
in the tech areas.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator: