Asus HD7970 Matrix Platinum reviews

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
You aren't even at 60 fps and are talking about excessive settings that really warrant a dual card setup. Let's be realistic there is only one real option in that respect, so if you really want to go there you're paying $500 and you can't even dig out 60 fps, let alone mins in a small non action packed sample are hitting 30's.

SSAA is great, but not at the cost of FPS you need, and at those numbers, you need more fps not marginally better IQ.

>imo<

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
You aren't even at 60 fps and are talking about excessive settings that really warrant a dual card setup. Let's be realistic there is only one real option in that respect, so if you really want to go there you're paying $500 and you can't even dig out 60 fps, let alone mins in a small non action packed sample are hitting 30's.

SSAA is great, but not at the cost of FPS you need, and at those numbers, you need more fps not marginally better IQ.

>imo<

I have finished playing Sleeping Dogs on my core i5 2400 and HD 6950 2GB (850 Mhz) PC at 1920 x 1080 with high res textures and settings maxed except AA was High AA settings (FXAA - high SSAA - medium). the fps was in the high 30s and low 40s while driving outdoors and low 50s indoors. The game was perfectly playable, smooth and fun. The game does not require 60 fps to be comfortable. this is a single player open world game like GTA with driving , hand combat and shooting. Its not a competitive multiplayer game like BF3 where 60 fps is considered a must.

hardocp's testing for highest playable settings is quite strict. thats why they don't say that the stock HD 7970 Ghz or ASUS HD 7970 Ghz Platinum is playable at 2560 x 1600 high AA. The overclocked ASUS HD 7970 Ghz though perfectly satisfies the playability requirements. In fact from my experience in this game the stock ASUS HD 7970 Ghz with avg 39.3 fps and min 31 fps is perfectly playable.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Some of these freaking reviews are pathetic,they show half the time the card overclocked near 1300 core but what games do they use to bench?Well geez games like Dirt3 and crap like 3dmark11,why not just put COD4 in there as well?

Sorta a toss up for me between the $469 2gb evga gtx680 sc+,this $500 beast or 2 gtx660 cards in sli.

hjalti8

Apr 9, 2012
Some of these freaking reviews are pathetic,they show half the time the card overclocked near 1300 core but what games do they use to bench?Well geez games like Dirt3 and crap like 3dmark11,why not just put COD4 in there as well?

Sorta a toss up for me between the $469 2gb evga gtx680 sc+,this $500 beast or 2 gtx660 cards in sli.

guru3d benched it in crysis2 oc'd to 1275/7008

at 1600p it had 50% performance advantage over a stock 680

index.php

Untitled-18.png

and BF3 :

1350337975kpLWqATHq4_5_5_l.gif

but yeah I would have liked to see more games benched...

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
guru3d benched it in crysis2 oc'd to 1275/7008

at 1600p it had 50% performance advantage over a stock 680

index.php

Untitled-18.png

and BF3 :

1350337975kpLWqATHq4_5_5_l.gif

but yeah I would have liked to see more games benched...

Techpowerup had the most useful number to me,1080p performance in BF3 with their 1230 core oc and we can assume most of these cards are gonna do 1275+ while a lemon is gonna do 1230.

Not sure if techpowerup is as reliable as some think,but they had the most useful info,hardocp well if they did 1080p it would be helpful as i think 47fps average for 1600p is not all that enjoyable

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This card really performs.

Really performs slower then 2 7870s, by larger margin then the gap between the 680 and 7970GE. It is overpriced or slow, and late.

The AMD support group here has repeatedly pointed out how people are stupid for buying a 680 at the same price point as the 7970GE because of the performance difference, but the 7870CF setup has a far larger performance advantage and people just ignore that?

I understand certain marching orders are given on what part to promote, but you would think that at least in the enthusiast space AMD would be a bit more reasonable about what they have their people push to informed consumers.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Really performs slower then 2 7870s, by larger margin then the gap between the 680 and 7970GE. It is overpriced or slow, and late.

The AMD support group here has repeatedly pointed out how people are stupid for buying a 680 at the same price point as the 7970GE because of the performance difference, but the 7870CF setup has a far larger performance advantage and people just ignore that?

I understand certain marching orders are given on what part to promote, but you would think that at least in the enthusiast space AMD would be a bit more reasonable about what they have their people push to informed consumers.

You can always buy 2x midrange cards and get better raw performance than the top single GPU. This is nothing new nor unique to this card. Not everyone is interested in dual cards. The general consensus is you are better of with a single gpu wherever possible. This card raises that performance level. If it's not for you, that's fine.

Stop throwing this AMD support group BS around. I started this thread and have no affiliation with anyone.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can always buy 2x midrange cards and get better raw performance than the top single GPU.

If performance/dollar is the be all, which we have been hearing over and over again, then why don't people back that up? The same people who were religious on performance/watt last generation are now performance/dollar, but only when it is going to back the card they are interested in promoting? The disparity between 7870s CFd and the 7970GE is also quite a bit larger then we are used to. Normally it is somewhat close, this time it isn't.

Stop throwing this AMD support group BS around.

When we see the obscene hypocrisy drop off. I notice RS isn't throwing a temper tantrum about reviewers not doing OC to OC numbers when it benefits his beloved, what a shocker :)

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
Wut?
Two cards in Crossfire/SLI are faster than a single high end card?
Damn...didn't see that coming...o_O

Dear Ben,AMD doesn't have a paid for web presence....I believe you can find that right here if you check some signatures tho...:p

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
If performance/dollar is the be all, which we have been hearing over and over again, then why don't people back that up? The same people who were religious on performance/watt last generation are now performance/dollar, but only when it is going to back the card they are interested in promoting? The disparity between 7870s CFd and the 7970GE is also quite a bit larger then we are used to. Normally it is somewhat close, this time it isn't.

Dual 6870's can slap a 6970 around pretty badly too. Bench

When we see the obscene hypocrisy drop off. I notice RS isn't throwing a temper tantrum about reviewers not doing OC to OC numbers when it benefits his beloved, what a shocker :)

Two troll posts in a row. Maybe you should post this stuff elsewhere?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dear Ben,AMD doesn't have a paid for web presence.

I don't think any reasonable person believes that.

Dual 6870's can slap a 6970 around pretty badly too.

Still much closer then the 7870s/7970GE, and two 6870s carried a premium over a single 6890 IIRC, close to a $100 premium. This time, it's the same price point, and a larger performance advantage. I know certain people won't go dual GPU at all, I understand that, but if the main criteria is performance per dollar spent, the 7970GE isn't really all that good. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the part at all, but we keep hearing over and over again that it is such a great part because of the value. That is a myth.

Two troll posts in a row. Maybe you should post this stuff elsewhere?

Not a troll post at all, RS was having a meltdown just a short while ago because some sites had the audacity to review some overclocked green parts without overclocked red parts. Journalistic integrity blah, blah blah. Same exact situation here. Obviously, it is just plain stupid to call sites out for that, and it isn't a factor at all, I just detest hypocrisy.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Still much closer then the 7870s/7970GE, and two 6870s carried a premium over a single 6890 IIRC, close to a $100 premium. This time, it's the same price point, and a larger performance advantage. I know certain people won't go dual GPU at all, I understand that, but if the main criteria is performance per dollar spent, the 7970GE isn't really all that good. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the part at all, but we keep hearing over and over again that it is such a great part because of the value. That is a myth.

No one here is suggesting that this card has amazing perf/$, but if you're already going to drop 500$ on a GPU, this is probably the one to get. As an aside, are there any 7870 xfire benchmarks floating around? Couldn't find any but I guess I didn't exactly try hard either.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

I've not seen people praise to much the perf/$ for the 7970 except when comparing it to the 680. The 7950 is the one that gets most of the praise. This card is not about perf/$. It's about O/C'ing and single GPU performance.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Sorry to necro this thread, but HW Canucks has just done a review. While I've often felt they are "less than kind" to AMD cards, they actually really like this one. It aced all of their benches and really separated itself from the other cards in the comparison. They also let it stretch it's legs O/C'ing w/voltage. :thumbsup:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Sorry to necro this thread, but HW Canucks has just done a review. While I've often felt they are "less than kind" to AMD cards, they actually really like this one. It aced all of their benches and really separated itself from the other cards in the comparison. They also let it stretch it's legs O/C'ing w/voltage. :thumbsup:

Great review. Their overclocking results we're amazing. Thanks for posting it up.