Assassin's Creed Odyssey

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Surprising ACG reviewed this game this morning and mentioned it did pretty good in terms of story, exploration, and the rpg style upgrades. Also surprised that he said the PC version was not ready for review. But the game comes out Oct. 5th and I'm just wondering if this will be a unoptimized mess ?

I haven't played an AC game since black flag and this one looks kind of like that except I do enjoy the Greek mythology setting.

I also saw a video of someone benching it on PC at 1440p and it was only getting 40-50 fps. But that guy may have set some of his settings incorrectly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Surprising ACG reviewed this game this morning and mentioned it did pretty good in terms of story, exploration, and the rpg style upgrades. Also surprised that he said the PC version was not ready for review. But the game comes out Oct. 5th and I'm just wondering if this will be a unoptimized mess ?

I haven't played an AC game since black flag and this one looks kind of like that except I do enjoy the Greek mythology setting.

I also saw a video of someone benching it on PC at 1440p and it was only getting 40-50 fps. But that guy may have set some of his settings incorrectly.

AFAIK, just like every release of an AC game on PC, no? Some just happen to be remarkably, infamously worse than the others.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'll try it out at some point. I liked origins a bit but it didn't hold my attention for very long.

Before that, the only AC game I enjoyed was black flag... and before that, AC2 or brotherhood

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yea I'm curious to see how the PC version ends up being reviewed. It's fine on consoles but I'd like to enjoy my new monitor.

Just want to kill time until red dead 2.

Looks like google made it playable in chrome so Ubisoft has no excuse but to optimise it properly if it turns out crappy.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/01/google-project-stream-assassins-creed-odyssey-game-streaming/

I will be getting a key some time soon because it came with my GPU. I will definitely be interested in playing it, but I haven't played an AC game since AC2.

....it's weird. I was really into the idea of AC1 when it first came out, and I think I went and picked up a copy on the day it was released, for PS3. I thought it was great, but obviously flawed in many ways....primarily just so repetitive and pointless for much of the game, but there was something about it that felt new and pretty cool at the time, on the new fancy console with my new gigantic 42" glorious plasma!

I only played AC 2, some 7 or so years later? maybe...it took a while for sure. The series had become a bit of a farce on itself by then, and I had even picked up AC 2 in my steam library several years before playing it. ...It was still a pretty good game. Certainly better than the first, even years later, but suffered from the dull repetition with many of the missions.

I watched my nephew play Origins for a few minutes last year, on his new PC, and it certainly felt like a different type of game, very RPG-like in some ways, so I'm interested where this one goes. I don't think I'm going to concern myself with going back and playing (also meaning purchasing) bunch of games to keep up with the story--even if this is a bit of a prequel?--I've been doing that recently with old games and I find that it is mostly a waste of time, especially if I really just want to play the later one. ...and this is what, 5 or 7 games or something after AC2? lol

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
If you do like Odyssey I would strongly suggest going back and doing Origins. Origins was a fantastic game imo.

Reactions: Oyeve

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I will be getting a key some time soon because it came with my GPU. I will definitely be interested in playing it, but I haven't played an AC game since AC2.

....it's weird. I was really into the idea of AC1 when it first came out, and I think I went and picked up a copy on the day it was released, for PS3. I thought it was great, but obviously flawed in many ways....primarily just so repetitive and pointless for much of the game, but there was something about it that felt new and pretty cool at the time, on the new fancy console with my new gigantic 42" glorious plasma!

I only played AC 2, some 7 or so years later? maybe...it took a while for sure. The series had become a bit of a farce on itself by then, and I had even picked up AC 2 in my steam library several years before playing it. ...It was still a pretty good game. Certainly better than the first, even years later, but suffered from the dull repetition with many of the missions.

I watched my nephew play Origins for a few minutes last year, on his new PC, and it certainly felt like a different type of game, very RPG-like in some ways, so I'm interested where this one goes. I don't think I'm going to concern myself with going back and playing (also meaning purchasing) bunch of games to keep up with the story--even if this is a bit of a prequel?--I've been doing that recently with old games and I find that it is mostly a waste of time, especially if I really just want to play the later one. ...and this is what, 5 or 7 games or something after AC2? lol
I think they have 11 games total so far in the series. I never played origins. I played the first one, second one, I think even the one that was set in Italy then the one that had the native American theme and finally black flag.

I stopped after that because like you said it was just repetitive but since odyssey is a bit different with rpg style elements and they even put in similar mechanics to shadow of Mordor where you have people you can go after that are hunting you similar to the generals in Mordor.

But I am a little concerned that there has been no PC review at all so far. I don't want to buy it and then be stuck waiting for patches, by that time I'll be playing red dead 2 for a long while.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think they have 11 games total so far in the series. I never played origins. I played the first one, second one, I think even the one that was set in Italy then the one that had the native American theme and finally black flag.

I stopped after that because like you said it was just repetitive but since odyssey is a bit different with rpg style elements and they even put in similar mechanics to shadow of Mordor where you have people you can go after that are hunting you similar to the generals in Mordor.

But I am a little concerned that there has been no PC review at all so far. I don't want to buy it and then be stuck waiting for patches, by that time I'll be playing red dead 2 for a long while.

There are... eight -- I think -- mainline Assassin's Creed games.

Assassin's Creed (Iran?), II (Italy), III (USA), IV Black Flag (Caribbean), Unity (France), Syndicate (England), Origins (Egypt), and Odyssey (Greece).

There are some other games such as AC2 Brotherhood, AC2 Revelations, and Rogue, but sort of like how you don't count FFX-2 as a mainline Final Fantasy game, I don't really count those either. That's just a personal opinion though.

If I had to guess, they're reusing the Origins engine for this, and if that's the case, I wouldn't expect many issues. People were complaining about poor optimization in Origins at launch, but I didn't have any issues. At this point, I'd be surprised if we see another Unity launch.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

Assassin's Creed (Iran?), II (Italy), III (USA), IV Black Flag (Caribbean), Unity (France), Syndicate (England), Origins (Egypt), and Odyssey (Greece).

There are some other games such as AC2 Brotherhood, AC2 Revelations, and Rogue, but sort of like how you don't count FFX-2 as a mainline Final Fantasy game, I don't really count those either. That's just a personal opinion though.

If I had to guess, they're reusing the Origins engine for this, and if that's the case, I wouldn't expect many issues. People were complaining about poor optimization in Origins at launch, but I didn't have any issues. At this point, I'd be surprised if we see another Unity launch.
I think I'll buy the game for PC. I don't want to get it for console as I've got red dead to play on ps4 as soon as I'm done spiderman. I was over or Reddit and a lot of people are not getting 60fps on 1080p at high/ultra settings. Some of them with 1070's and 1080 cards.

I'd say for now it's not really that optimized but I think after it releases in the US Friday there will be more Ubisoft patches and probably an Nvidia driver that may improve things.

Just odd that not many PC reviews for this game. Also, when did games all of a sudden start coming out Fridays? It was always Tuesday from what I remember.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just odd that not many PC reviews for this game. Also, when did games all of a sudden start coming out Fridays? It was always Tuesday from what I remember.

I think there was great organized nerd outrage a couple of years ago that Tuesday was the worst because they had to work/school the rest of the week, whereas Friday was perfect! because they have an entire weekend to waste over sleepless nights and days when zoning out with some new hotness.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Basically what is now modern day Israel, because the main cities were Acre and Jerusalem....I forget the other 2. Essentially, I think it would have been "Persia" at the time, which yeah, now fundamentally remains as Iran.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think there was great organized nerd outrage a couple of years ago that Tuesday was the worst because they had to work/school the rest of the week, whereas Friday was perfect! because they have an entire weekend to waste over sleepless nights and days when zoning out with some new hotness.
Ha I guess the masses have spoken. Fine by me but that just means I don't get to play Fridays since I'm usually out on a date or have other things going on. It does make it nicer to finish the week and play a new title if the time is there.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Friday has also been a very common day for Nintendo to release their games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have access to it as of an hour or two ago, maybe earlier. I have no idea.

It is a sponsored by AMD game...had no idea that was happening. Kinda makes sense, though I guess. on "non-supported" drivers (I haven't installed the latest Adrenalin yet, about to do it, actually), I ran the benchmark @1344x1440 and got 40 FPS on my Vega 64, lol.

I get all sorts of tearing, too, because I still can't get Freesync to actually work on my display yet. DP 1.4, HDMI 2.0, etc...all I ever get is these flashy glitches of lines or solid boxes when I turn it on in the display and AMD software...anyway, another problem. gonna install new drivers and return

(at least, I hope that benchmark was running at my settings--it didn't really say. If it was 1080p I would be a bit unhappy. I had set everything to pretty much ultra/highest...the options aren't all that bad for PC, actually. I wouldn't know where to begin in describing it)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven't installed the game yet, will try to do that tomorrow after work. I'll also be playing at the same resolution so I'm curious to see how it will do on ultra.

Deus ex mankind also was an amd game I think and I get about 60fps on all ultra. Sometimes higher depending on the area. As for the characters I don't think it matters who you choose. I think Kassandra has better voice acting and the story is actually centered around her based on a novel too. I'm dating a Greek chick so I can actually tell that Kassandra's voice acting is sort of similar with the accent I recognize but I'm sure if I show this to the girl she will find lots of flaws in the accents/language.

Not sure who I'll pick as the main character but the combat and stuff seems to fit better with Alexios being a Spartan seeing from the videos that he has a more rough attitude. Either way this will keep me busy until red dead 2.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I haven't installed the game yet, will try to do that tomorrow after work. I'll also be playing at the same resolution so I'm curious to see how it will do on ultra.

Deus ex mankind also was an amd game I think and I get about 60fps on all ultra. Sometimes higher depending on the area. As for the characters I don't think it matters who you choose. I think Kassandra has better voice acting and the story is actually centered around her based on a novel too. I'm dating a Greek chick so I can actually tell that Kassandra's voice acting is sort of similar with the accent I recognize but I'm sure if I show this to the girl she will find lots of flaws in the accents/language.

Not sure who I'll pick as the main character but the combat and stuff seems to fit better with Alexios being a Spartan seeing from the videos that he has a more rough attitude. Either way this will keep me busy until red dead 2.

A cool, I literally know nothing about this game because I haven't played AC since ACII...and that was about 5? years after rlease....so I'm well behind. Didn't even know there was character creation/selection..sounds like ME games, maybe?

Anyway, I always play the ladies when I can, as those stories/interactions are just always more interesting, IME. for the most part, anyway. Bout to run the benchmark again now that I think uninstall and update has finished...

EDIT:

hmm, same benchmark performance with 18.9.3 or whatever drivers on this Vega 64 @ 3440x1440: 40 FPS, ultra everything. tons of tearing (benchmark won't keep my sync settings, I've noticed).

I've been playing FFXV for the last week or two now, and while I've noticed that I start off at about 55-60 FPS at ~similar settings, same resolution, I quickly collapse and hit a wall at 35 FPS on my Vega card. I've tried undervolting a bit and at stock, and it just doesn't change this behavior. The fan either goes into jet blast mode or it never does, with no change in performance. I guess I am thermal throttling this thing? Dunno.

I will eventually start posting these issues in the appropriate thread. :D

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Do you only see those artifacts in the amd software and not in any other games? You should check the temps in game and see if thermal issues may be the cause.

Odd that freesync is giving you issues, it shouldn't be tearing like that. Perhaps it could also be the drivers. The last card I had was the 7970ghz and I didn't have any of those issues except tearing now and then becuase this was before I switched monitors. Maybe try using ddu to clean amd profiles and reinstall the drivers.

Some people mention turning off MFAA in your gpu control panel settings but I am not sure if this is an Nvidia only thing.

As for the characters, their communication lines are the same and so is the progression form what I've seen in videos. The only thing that differs is their attitude in responses. I may play with Kassandra since the voice acting seems better and may give it a better feel to try a different protagonist after all the other AC games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so far I've tried 3 different Adrenaline packages, cleaned with DDU each time. Now, I didn't really have these problems playing Strange Brigade (also free with the Vega card, and a rather pointless game. Fun for about an hour. then meh). I generally have AA set to application settings in GPU control, but I'll try that.

There's also been a lot of light flickering, even in static moments. But camera scrolling also does this, and this is definitely a display thing that I have to figure out as well. I am thinking that my $383 Monoprice display really might be quite terrible. :D

I will say that the game looks pretty terrible at first. No textures, colors are crushed browns (pretty sure that isn't an issue with my display settings), character models are straight out of 2011 or so with no extra fidelity.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm still confused as to how this predates Origins... I mean an origin is say "original" or the start of something that originates somewhere, no? Whatever, not going to take these games very seriously anymore. If anything, this one makes me want to go back and play Black Flag to completion.

I'll probably try it at some point, especially seeing as it's optimized for AMD, but I certainly won't be buying it full price.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
People said if you liked origins you will like this one. I never played origins so I can't compare it like that. But I would have thought that this would be after origins. I guess not. You do play as leonittis at one point in the beginning which basically symbolises the army from 300. So perhaps origins was after that?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
People said if you liked origins you will like this one. I never played origins so I can't compare it like that. But I would have thought that this would be after origins. I guess not. You do play as leonittis at one point in the beginning which basically symbolises the army from 300. So perhaps origins was after that?

Yeah I am not sure which era/Kingdom is in place when Origins happens, (Old Kingdom Egypt, for example, is about 3k-2k BCE, I think). The battle of Thermopylae (Leonidas, and so his time period) was about 500 BCE, I think.

Egypt was still rather powerful at that time period, so it's certainly possible that these games could flip their order. I think it wasn't until ~J Caeser, ~54 BCE, that Rome conquered/controlled much of Egypt that the Kingdom was no longer its own power.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'm buying this game. First one since Black Flag that piked my interest. I love the setting so I just have to play this. Now I just need to decide if I play it on my 1080Ti @ 4K or grab it for my PS4 Pro.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm buying this game. First one since Black Flag that piked my interest. I love the setting so I just have to play this. Now I just need to decide if I play it on my 1080Ti @ 4K or grab it for my PS4 Pro.
I was thinking to play it in 4k on my PS4 pro but I think I'll get better performance on my PC. The PS4 / Xbox versions run at 30fps. Plus ultrawide will be more immersive for me. I'll have red dead to play on my TV soon enough.

The setting is why I decided to get this too. Black flag is the last AC game I played and didn't really finish it. But having rpg style elements to this one is nice.