Assange deadman switch may have just gone off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just wait for Trump TV to start up, they'll explain it all and get to the bottom of the massive voter fraud that the left and MSM did that cost Trump the election.
It'll be great. I hope Jesse Ventura is the cohost.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Maybe if Trump had some staffers in charge of his Twitter account, he would be doing better.
I see value in social media providing accessibility and a human dimension to prominent leaders. One benefit is you get to see whe people truly are, which proved advantageous in Trump's case. Managing social media by committee seems somewhat disingenuous

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I see value in social media providing accessibility and a human dimension to prominent leaders. One benefit is you get to see whe people truly are, which proved advantageous in Trump's case. Managing social media by committee seems somewhat disingenuous

I'm not sure how you get to know who the American people are when only 7% of the people use twitter and when even less are interacting with the presidential candidates.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There are a bunch of news reports that Kerry negotiated with Ecuador as part of the FARC negotiations to have Assange's internet taken away so he couldn't leak further embarrassing information. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's plausible, and if so says a whole lot about how much of these shenanigans are going on all the way to the top.

Or Ecuador decided they didn't want to appear to be facilitating interference in US elections because of the huge power differential. They don't want the US to see cause to interfere in their own upcoming election.

Feb 4, 2009
Or Ecuador decided they didn't want to appear to be facilitating interference in US elections because of the huge power differential. They don't want the US to see cause to interfere in their own upcoming election.

Ecuador essentially said that this morning.

Ecuador's government acknowledged on Tuesday that it cut off WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange's internet access at its embassy in London after the whistleblowing site published a trove of damaging emails from Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

The foreign ministry said that while it stands by its 2012 decision to grant Assange asylum based on legitimate concerns he faces political persecution, it respects other nations' sovereignty and doesn't interfere or support any candidate in foreign elections

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6f99...ks-assanges-internet-link-severed-state-actor

They changed the WiFi password on him

Jan 25, 2011
So Ecuador doesn't want to seem like they are facilitating an attempt to interfere with a sovereign nations elections and it's a huge conspiracy? Is Wikileaks shut down? No. They just don't want to appear to be aiding.

Big deal.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So Ecuador doesn't want to seem like they are facilitating an attempt to interfere with a sovereign nations elections and it's a huge conspiracy? Is Wikileaks shut down? No. They just don't want to appear to be aiding.

Big deal.

Nuh-uhh! It's all part of the giant leftist banking Conspiracy!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Really, you want a president tweeting whatever hits his mind at 3am?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
A coherent, sensible adult understands how impactful words of a US President can be, and takes due care with them.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Really, you want a president tweeting whatever hits his mind at 3am?
I don't care when or how frequent. I do have two conditions, that they are genuine but also responsibly written. If we could somehow merge Trump's candor and ability to read and connect with the electorate + Clinton's command of issues and temperment, we might have a reasonably strong candidate.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I don't care when or how frequent. I do have two conditions, that they are genuine but also responsibly written. If we could somehow merge Trump's candor and ability to read and connect with the electorate + Clinton's command of issues and temperment, we might have a reasonably strong candidate.
Candor? I call it an unfiltered stream of consciousness.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

You've clearly never had to lead people. Everyone says they want candor until they get it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You've clearly never had to lead people. Everyone says they want candor until they get it.
LOL. That's all I've done in my career is lead people, with candor being my most useful tool because people have come to not expect it, but I've yet to encounter a situation where they don't appreciate it.

Maybe you've just never experienced the thrill of being led by someone who inspires you.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
LOL. That's all I've done in my career is lead people, with candor being my most useful tool because people have come to not expect it, but I've yet to encounter a situation where they don't appreciate it.
Sure, just like these trump fans appreciate what I have to say instead. I suppose people can "appreciate" that something it's probably correct, but there's good reason why shooting the messenger is a popular idiom.

Maybe you've just never experienced the thrill of being led by someone who inspires you.

I suspect you need to believe what you're told to pass onto underlings is candid. Personally I never found that to be inspirational.

If your supposed approach is more successful, then surely evolutionary mechanisms would ensure pervasiveness instead of it being unexpected. Seems to me that it's the same claim that managers often learn to make, and perhaps even believe in time.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Sure, just like these trump fans appreciate what I have to say instead. I suppose people can "appreciate" that something it's probably correct, but there's good reason why shooting the messenger is a popular idiom.

I suspect you need to believe what you're told to pass onto underlings is candid. Personally I never found that to be inspirational.

If your supposed approach is more successful, then surely evolutionary mechanisms would ensure pervasiveness instead of it being unexpected. Seems to me that it's the same claim that managers often learn to make, and perhaps even believe in time.
You have a skeptical worldview. I can appreciate that. Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to work in and for organizations and for people that inspire. The irony, contrary to conventional stereotypes about conservatives, is that I recognize the power of diversity, and some of the best people I've worked for or who work for me don't look like me or even think like me.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
You have a skeptical worldview. I can appreciate that. Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to work in and for organizations and for people that inspire. The irony, contrary to conventional stereotypes about conservatives, is that I recognize the power of diversity, and some of the best people I've worked for or who work for me don't look like me or even think like me.

Frankly I doubt you've ever told anyone they're too stupid and/or incompetent for some task, a common enough circumstance, yet still consider yourself candid. A tactic that's socially useful and therefore employed in mgmt is tell some minor truths to gain someone's trust. Even if someone's not doing so as part of some con, it doesn't make them necessarily "candid" except as a helpful technicality they can later point to such as in our current conversation.

As an example, I'm reasonably candid here speaking anonymously, but there are certainly consequences to acting like this IRL. I do however appreciate that you can take these comments in stride, which many cannot.

I would also say that "inspiration" is selective positive thinking, ie willful ignorance of certain realities like those we choose not to convey. You're right that makes me cynical, which is a regrettable side effect of candor I think.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Frankly I doubt you've ever told anyone they're too stupid and/or incompetent for some task, a common enough circumstance, yet still consider yourself candid. A tactic that's socially useful and therefore employed in mgmt is tell some minor truths to gain someone's trust. Even if someone's not doing so as part of some con, it doesn't make them necessarily "candid" except as a helpful technicality they can later point to such as in our current conversation.

As an example, I'm reasonably candid here speaking anonymously, but there are certainly consequences to acting like this IRL. I do however appreciate that you can take these comments in stride, which many cannot.

I would also say that "inspiration" is selective positive thinking, ie willful ignorance of certain realities like those we choose not to convey. You're right that makes me cynical, which is a regrettable side effect of candor I think.
If only you could see the performance evaluations I've written. I would never call anyone stupid because people deserve more respect than that, but I will hold people accountable and place them on a development plan if they are not performing. People are surprisingly coachable if you approach them properly and the ones who are not inevitably move on

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
If only you could see the performance evaluations I've written. I would never call anyone stupid because people deserve more respect than that, but I will hold people accountable and place them on a development plan if they are not performing. People are surprisingly coachable if you approach them properly and the ones who are not inevitably move on

Interesting given "development plans" are corp vehicles for easing people out the door, ie the hr way of telling them to update their resume.