ASRock Conroe865PE

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
http://www.asrock.com/product/ConRoe865PE.htm

http://detail.zol.com.cn/86/85649/pic.shtml

This is my "dream board" for Conroe - I can keep my DDR and use it (up to 4GB!), and likewise my AGP card, all with the known stability of the i865PE chipset and plenty of std PCI slots. Essentially, it's a semi-recent platform design, but with support for the newest CPUs.

So why can't I find this board? All Google links point to chinese sites. Once I even found a link to www.newegg.com.cn (China!), to buy this board, but no such luck at the US NewEgg site. :|

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
It should be in the States within 10 days, have a review of it going up next week. Nice board for the money.... ;)

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
Originally posted by: butch84
Any updates on availability in the states yet? I'm looking for one too.

No, have two outstanding requests to ASRock on this currently. I want the board for a personal build myself. ;)

oiges

Feb 26, 2000
Yihaaaa,

very good to hear that review is planned.
I have gathered my findings on the quest for core 2 duo + 4 x DDR I + overclocking in
http://users.telenet.be/oiges/

Clockgen had beta that would support similar pll as clockgenerator on the motherboard.
cpucool guy confirmed he supported winbond pll that has same register settings.

Maybe these tools can help in overclockability or maybe the review just shows it is bad overclocker. I am curious. The unique added value is that you guys can compare by putting same cpu on different motherboard and isolate the motherboard to investigate its limits.

Good luck with the review! I will be checking out anandtech regularly :)

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I'm looking forward to this board review too. :)

My 775Dual-VSTA, although a nice stable board, doesn't overclock nearly as well as I would like. If this ConRoe865PE overclocks like I think it will then it's my next motherboard. :D

jester700

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Beachboy

My 775Dual-VSTA, although a nice stable board, doesn't overclock nearly as well as I would like. If this ConRoe865PE overclocks like I think it will then it's my next motherboard. :D

I suspect it'll be hard locked to 300fsb like the 775i65G. Still, of the boards so far, it's my choice to OC an E4300 in a few months as a system upgrade.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jester700
Originally posted by: Beachboy

I suspect it'll be hard locked to 300fsb like the 775i65G. Still, of the boards so far, it's my choice to OC an E4300 in a few months as a system upgrade.
If the ConRoe965 is truly locked at 300fsb I will just stick with the 775Dual-VSTA because I can do 290fsb stable with it now and runs surprisingly well.

In the mean time I will be saving up my pennies for some DDR2, a PCI-E videocard, and a motherboard yet to be produced. :p

lookin4dlz

May 19, 2001
I'm looking forward to a review of this, and/or any other board that supports DDRI and AGP. Hopefully soon as I need a new computer!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
this seems to indicate that the Conroe865PE is indeed locked to a 300Mhz FSB. I still want one though.

This shows an e-mail from asrockamerica, saying that they won't sell this board in the US. WTF?!?! How could ASRock be so bone-headed. Plenty of people with old-but-good gear want to upgrade to Conroe and keep as many of their existing parts as they can. Plus, nobody else seems to make a Conroe board that's a full-size ATX, with plenty of PCI and DDR slots.

ugrakarma

Sep 17, 2006
The positive thing about it is that it does work and it didn't require much fiddling around. The negative side is the typical you get what you pay for argument but with asrock limited bios options and crappy overclocking is the norm so nothing unexpected there. If you plan to overclock don't get this board but it's decent enough interim board if you want to keep your agp and ddr1 for a while longer and save more for the costly ddr2 / pci-e jump.

conorj80

Sep 26, 2006
I received a similar reply after inquiring when this board would be available in the US.
"This model is not available in US Region. Thanks !!"
This seems to be the only board available with 4 ddr dimm slots and core 2 duo support. Hopefully Asrock will change their mind but I'm not holding my breath.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The ASRock ConRoe865PE is being sold in Australia; some of this list of vendors ("TechBuy" is one) ship internationally and accept Paypal for payment:
Text
Prices are in Australian Dollars.
1 AUS$ = 0.75 US$

asrock conroe865pe mini-review

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
i wish some good reviews of this board would go up. i'm almost tempted to order this board of australia

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did a "tentative order" (selecting Paypal as the payment method) from TechBuy for the ASRock ConRoe865PE board.
The total delivered price was: $139.23 AUS$ ($104.42 US$).
Ideally, I'd prefer an 875 chipset board made by Abit, with an overclock-friendly Bios.
However, I believe Intel has curtailed production of the 865 & 875 chipsets. Which may be a
factor in ASRock's decision to not offer the board in N. America.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
well let me know how that turns out for you vailr :)

if this board could hit 400fsb or so i'd probably buy 2 or 3... lol

/me comes back to reality

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CupCak3
well let me know how that turns out for you vailr :)

No: didn't actually send a Paypal payment; ended up cancelling.

I did check another vendor, OZdirect.com, which sends out a AUS$5.00 off coupon for signing up as a customer. So their final shipped price is slightly less than TechBuy's price, for the ASRock Conroe865PE. They also offer a $14 cheaper shipping option via slow container ship, which takes approx. 65 days delivery time to a U.S. address...

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: vailr

No: didn't actually send a Paypal payment; ended up cancelling.

I did check another vendor, OZdirect.com, which sends out a AUS$5.00 off coupon for signing up as a customer. So their final shipped price is slightly less than TechBuy's price, for the ASRock Conroe865PE. They also offer a $14 cheaper shipping option via slow container ship, which takes approx. 65 days delivery time to a U.S. address...

Thanks for the info and effort vailr! :beer:

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
Dunno, but I want that board with PCI-E.

I've got no desire to get rid of my GSkill DDR.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: CrispySilicon
So did anyone ever pick one of these up and test it?
ASRock 775Dual-VSTA is superior in every respect, except for max. memory support (2GB v. 4GB) but you get PCI Express in return.