ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

erhan01

Feb 7, 2009
Originally posted by: desperado73
merhaba ben 7400E kullaniyorum sorun yok yalniz en son biosa güncelle 3.15a

gokte ararken yerde buldum.türkiyede hiçbir forumda bulamadim böyle bilgiyi:)bgn bende e7400 aldim ve aldimaldigim yerde taktirdim,calistirdi ama karti 2. aldigim icin hangi bios yüklü bilemicem..yarin format atip yeniden herseyi kuracagim.illa ki bu 3,15a yi yuklemem mi gerekiyor

fyy0r

Sep 8, 2007
Has anyone used a ATI 48XX or GeForce 9XXX on the board without issue? I have latest official bios 3.10.

abre

Aug 23, 2005
I built a machine for my cousin using this board and recently gifted him a 9800GT. He recently gave the machine to me for some maintenance and I flashed to the 3.15a BIOS and reinstalled Vista 64-bit. The card works fine both before and after. Not sure which BIOS was on it before, but it was certainly an older official BIOS.

Roadhog

Feb 17, 2009
I have Asrock 775Dual-VSTA Bios P3.10

Email to Asrock stated that even though the e7400 was not on the supported cpu list...if it was a 1066fsb cpu..it should run (said to update to the current bios of P3.10).

Does any one know here for sure if my mobo will run the e7400...and if the 3.10 bios will be OK?

Thank you very much for any help on this topic...

Roadhog

Feb 17, 2009
Guys

Any one know the answer on if the e7400 cpu can run with stock Asrock firmware on
the 775Dual-VSTA mobo?

I see others are stating running the e7400...but this thread also seems to be dealing
with some sort of beta firmware?

When I go to the site links for the beta f/w download..it is not in Englich (I live
in the United States).

I was wondering also how one tells what features any new beta f/w has..as the site
seemed to be a download link only?

Would love an answer to the e7400 and stock f/w..but will start reading the 80 or so
pages on this thread for now..maybe it has been asked and answered (going over the
last few pages..only see where it has been asked..but not answered directly..as
posters will ask and another says e7400 running on such and such beta firmware?

Thanks

Roadhog

Feb 17, 2009
Animal

Thanks for a reply.

Well..some of it is in English..some parts of the page is not...confusing why they
would mix two languages?

Do you happen to know if an e7400 will run on this board with the Stock Firmware?

If not..what is the best beta revision to get...if the beta would allow me to run an
E7400?? Since I am running an e6400 now...I want to get the fastest upgrade I can.
Seems the e8400 is not the correct fsb speed.

I mail order my parts..so kind of a pain to order not knowing if it will work or not...
and I am not sure of the return policy on processors..may be exchange only? I
deal with www.newegg.com...which is pretty good most of the time.

Here is actual email from Asrock...seems a little broken English also:

Hi,

According the CPU support list that we list on the website intel E7XXX cpu is not support it, but I know there is not fully truth. As long as the processor support 1066fsb, 800fsb, and 533fsb you should be able to use without a problem, and of cause we recommend you update the latest bios version 3.10 http://www.asrock.com/mb/downl...del=775Dual-vsta&s=775 Please feel free to ask us any questions that you have.

Asrock Tech Support

Roadhog

Feb 17, 2009
Who puts out the beta bios files...seems this one post thinks it is asrock???

Beta bios from asrock, which adds support for radeon hd 4850 and hd 4870 cards in below link.

http://www.pctreiber.net/beitr...ight=775dual+VSTA.html

Other features:

- Supports smart fan (better fan control)
- Supports speedstep
- Supports enhanced halt state
- Supports thermal trottling
- Supports up to 4 gb ram (trough chipset limitation you can only user around 3,3 GB)
- E7200 support

Edited: 09/21/2008 at 02:17 AM by Mr Vain

Roadhog

Feb 17, 2009
Well Interesting

Got another email from asrock..tech said he thought it would work..did not see a problem...

Decided to call tech support at Asrock today...guy spoke in broken English..but said no way it would work correctly...it may post..may boot windows..but will not run the
way it is supposed to.

Then another poster here somewhere said he was running the e7xx series...??

Nothing like conflicting tech information!

Luminair

Feb 20, 2001
I recommend all 775dual-vsta users use e5200, e5300, or e5400 because they have the highest performance for the lowest price, lowest power and heat, and highest multipliers for highest overclocking ability. not to mention they apparently work, period!

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
Just an FYI to users planning on doing the beta BIOS updates. I received the Checksum error as well, but I pinned it down to the settings not matching. Make sure to roll back your BIOS to default settings before updating the BIOS... will most likely save you a lot of headaches :)

raskren

Dec 25, 2002
I'm interested in hearing more from those of you who are running 2x2GB of RAM. What RAM sticks are you using, what timings, speeds and voltages and are you able to run 32 or 64 bit versions of Windows?

I'm considering going from 2x1GB of ram to 2x2GB of RAM but am concerned that the board simply won't work with 2x2GB installed.

Thanks.

P.S. With 4GB installed, how is the stability of the system?

zam28

Mar 10, 2009
Hi

I have a AsRock 775Dual-vsta, with 2x2gb of A-Data DQPE1B16 sticks, @533 with 4-4-4-12, (running on Auto in Bios), i have the 3.13 modded Bios, and the Motherboard only recognizes 3.2 GB of Ram, in Win XP 32b or Win Vista 64b (Chipset limitation).

I'm currently running the computer with Windows XP SP3, and it's very stable, i haven't any issue with the RAM, since i Installed, six months ago.

Luminair

Feb 20, 2001
a recent unofficial bios added better 2x2gb support.

> e5x series is not on the support list for this mobo either?

correct. the unofficial pctreiber.net bios updates have all the new features.

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
With memory prices SO low (under GBP30 for 2x2G 667, versus the GBP137 2x1GB 667 had cost me originally), decided with my Dec 2006 built 776DUAL-VSTA system that the 2GB with Vista Premium should really be more as so much paging activity with so many apps/windows I keep open, so rummaged through here and found the good news that the latest unofficial (?) BIOSes support 2x2GB SIMMs rather than ASRock's own limit of 2x1GB.

Got somewhat confused about the who/what/where/how with updating so thought I would add a posting of how I managed to find stuff and what seemed to work in case it helps others here:

I had been on ASRock P2.90 (after 1.9 2.2 2.4 2.7) since around Sep 07.

The PC Treiber.net section for the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA is at:
http://www.pctreiber.net/downl...667ff725e488c87c60ef66

The latest entry (go to last page of the section !) I found there was for ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Bios 3.15a
http://www.pctreiber.net/downl...=ShowFile&entryID=2984

At the bottom of that page is a German'glish page about "Howto: Biosflash"
http://www.pctreiber.net/artik...ei-asrock-motherboards

Running that through Google Translator at
http://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT
gave me some idea of how to proceed.

So I then got two things from the PC Treiber.net site:
1) The 4.11 WinFlash .ZIP (not the 4.22 it seemed for our 775DUAL-VSTA board) from the links at the foot of this posting
http://www.pctreiber.net/downl...ge=ShowFile&entryID=76
2) The 3.15a BIOS file from the page (as referenced above)
http://www.pctreiber.net/downl...=ShowFile&entryID=2984
it's the "Verlinke Datei" .zip link tucked away at the foot of the posting.

WINFLASH 4.11
In Vista make sure Run as Administrator
In the setup dialog "Main BIOS Image" seems to work & MUST click "Destroy CMOS Checksum"
The 3.15a BIOS source file won't show up in the flasher Open dialog as it isn't named as a .BIN file; look for ALL FILES and should see it with the 75DVSTA3.15a filename

After flashing my system automatically went into restart.
I was ready with the F2 enter BIOS Setup key and it took a good few reboot cycles through the BIOS settings to get things right:
First I did a reset to Defaults with F9
Turned the SATA out of RAID mode into non-RAID mode
It then found SATA drive & I could turn the SATA SMART and 32-bit on
Set the HW Monitor to Quiet Fan Enabled (left at default 50C)
Played around with boot order
Turned off a few ports I never use

Afterwards I still have Windows Device driver showing up one PCI Serial port as no driver and it can't find one. As I plan to completely reinstall Windows Vista Premium from scratch once got the memory delivery (with a new Samsung 1TB drive) I haven't worried about that yet - but if anyone has any clues/help that would be good - it shows as PCI Bus 0 Dev 10 Function 0.

Incidentally - full marks/credit to the PC Treiber.net for their great work/site - if only they had a fully bi-lingual approach :)

MKD

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
An update to my posting re successful & how to BIOS 3.15a update on 11Apr09:

Have just done the 4GB upgrade...

Replaced my 2 x 1GB SIMMS tonight with
Corsair Value Select VS2GB667D2 x 2 at GBP13.49/each from Play.com last week

For now left the 3.15a BIOS defaulted at 'Auto' memory ie as 533.
The BIOS reported 4096 total and showed 2048 for each of the 2 DDRII SIMM slots.

Vista Home Premium SP1 - Control Panel - System reports memory of 4.00GB.

WinVer reports Version 6.0 Build 6001 SP1 - Physical memory availble to Windows: 3,406,420KB [ie 3326MB]

DXDiag.exe reports Memory 3326MB RAM

CPUID v1.50 reports the VS2GB667D2 memory at 266 1:1 4/4/4/12 2T
and shows the Memory SPDs as:
for 266 as 4.0/4/4/12/15-1.8V
for 333 as 5.0/5/5/15/18-1.8V

Windows Task Manager - Performance tab shows:
Physical Memory (MB) = Total 3326
ie 770MB is being shielded/hidden/unused (not sure what the technical word is)

The relevant MS KB posting re the not all of 4GB seen:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

So far so good - guess some time I ought to try some tests at the 533 and 667 settings in BIOS, as well as tweaking to see what can be got from the memory beyond SPID settings.

MKD

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Thanks for the info. I have a Asrock Dual-VSTA running an X850XT video card, but was going to install an HD4830 when I get my new HD4890 in a few days. Do I need to update the bios to support the HD4830?

Looks like they came out with a new Bios - 3.17a.

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
Originally posted by: kmmatneyDo I need to update the bios to support the HD4830? Looks like they came out with a new Bios - 3.17a.

If you need to update the BIOS will presumably depend on which version you already have - the 4830 support appears quite a few versions before the 3.17a latest that you spotted.

As I'd only just updated to 3.15a I have just done the 3.17a update too.

Some more detail on the reboot process after flashing (see my postings a few msgs back) in case this helps anyone - BTW I have only one SATA drive ...

Make sure F2 key available (eg press the F button on my ergonomic MS keyboard)....

1) F2 into BIOS Setup and do a Load Optimal and Save/reboot
2) F2... amend IDE to Sata Op Mode = NON-Raid... save/reboot
3) F2... update hard-disk to SATA SMART enabled, update Hardware fan to Quiet enabled.. amend boot order... turn off ports never used (eg game)... save/reboot
4) Reboot into Windows Vista HP and all seems well - this time NO device driver question mark/problems reported!

Hopefully remains stable and my 3326MB of 4GB IS still available :)

MKD

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
Mmm bad news after a few hours use of 3.17.
Was MS Live Messengering with Webcam and got BSOD with Page Fault in non-paged area. So something somewhere not right about memory management :(

raskren

Dec 25, 2002
Update on my situation:

I updated to the 3.17a BIOS and ran that a few days without problem.

I ordered this RAM from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16820211188

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Currently running it at DDR2-667 @4-4-4-12 in Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. So far everything is stable. 3,326 MB of RAM are available to Windows.

Will this motherboard work with a 64-bit operating system?