ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mac the hobo

May 7, 2009
Hi guys and girls. Im all new to flashing (motherboards) and have had a few problems.

The reason I want to flash my mobo is because I would like to put in a ASUS HD 4830 512MB DDR3 graphics card. As you no this card is not supported on the 2.30 bios.

So I flashed it to 2.34 which I downloaded from www.pctreiber.ne I flashed it in windows then restarted then changed the settings in bios saved and exited but my settings wont save.

I then tried flashing in dos mode with a bootable cd but get: Errror 18 chipset/flash part is unavailable.

Any ideas of where Im going wrong.

imported_Transient

Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: raskren
Is anybody running a 64-bit operating system on this motherboard?

Yes, I've been running XP 64-bit edition on this board for quite some time and it runs flawlessly.

If you're looking to get around the 3.2GB limit, well I'm sorry to report going 64-bit won't help on this board. The problem it seems is a limitation of the VIA chipset (or so I read).

In any case, my 64-bit XP still only shows 3.2GB available. When I try it with Vista, it shows 4GB installed on the System screen, but only 3.2GB availale in Task Manager.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

imported_Transient

Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: mac the hobo
Hi guys and girls. Im all new to flashing (motherboards) and have had a few problems.

The reason I want to flash my mobo is because I would like to put in a ASUS HD 4830 512MB DDR3 graphics card. As you no this card is not supported on the 2.30 bios.

So I flashed it to 2.34 which I downloaded from www.pctreiber.ne I flashed it in windows then restarted then changed the settings in bios saved and exited but my settings wont save.

I then tried flashing in dos mode with a bootable cd but get: Errror 18 chipset/flash part is unavailable.

Any ideas of where Im going wrong.

Why don't you use the latest version 3.17a?

Even the official version 3.10 should be better than 2.34:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/downl...5Dual-VSTA&T=B&ID=1637

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
FYI: Seems that the German PC Treiber.net website has re-organised itself and the NEW directory for our BIOSes is at:

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase.php?cat=22

with them defaulting to newest displayed first - ie v3.17a

Incidentally haven't had any more Vista HP blue-screens on my 4GB system since the one I reported above. Phew...

PtolemyIV

May 10, 2009
Originally posted by: Roadhog
Who puts out the beta bios files...seems this one post thinks it is asrock???

Beta bios from asrock, which adds support for radeon hd 4850 and hd 4870 cards in below link.

Thanks - so do they need to add support for each version of the 4xxx series individually?

Thinking about buying the new 4770 thats come out but want to ensure it will work first... I believe it is based off the 4xxx architecture.

VeloCT

Apr 29, 2009
Just a question?

But if you update to the beta bios that supports the 2 x 2Gb DDr2 memory does that mean I can still use my 2 x 1Gb DDr1 memory and then upgrade to the 4Gb at a later stage when I can afford it?

Reson being is that I dont have 4 Gigs of DDr2 memory but I'd like to have the other features these newer bioses have. (speedstep, E5**/E7** processor support... etc)

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
Originally posted by: VeloCT
Just a question?

But if you update to the beta bios that supports the 2 x 2Gb DDr2 memory does that mean I can still use my 2 x 1Gb DDr1 memory and then upgrade to the 4Gb at a later stage when I can afford it?

Reson being is that I dont have 4 Gigs of DDr2 memory but I'd like to have the other features these newer bioses have. (speedstep, E5**/E7** processor support... etc)

As Hlafordlaes has confirmed, the amended/updated BIOSes SUPPORT up to 4GB (ie 2x2GB) and do not REQUIRE it. Pleased to say still no more visible/known glitches with 3.17 with my 2x2GB.

VeloCT

Apr 29, 2009
Originally posted by: MKD
Originally posted by: VeloCT
Just a question?

As Hlafordlaes has confirmed, the amended/updated BIOSes SUPPORT up to 4GB (ie 2x2GB) and do not REQUIRE it. Pleased to say still no more visible/known glitches with 3.17 with my 2x2GB.

Cool thx guys :)

I was just worried that the memory remapping would somehow disable the ddr1 memory slots to enable the 4 Gig support on the ddr2 slots.

I'll try updating my bios tonight to version 3.17a.

Anybody using this memory on the board?

http://www.prophecy.co.za/mush...00-3dmark-p-29906.html

PtolemyIV

May 10, 2009
Ok, tried upgrading to 4.17a but disaster it seems...

In the setup dialog "Main BIOS Image" seems to work & MUST click "Destroy CMOS Checksum"

So under setup did the following:

1) selected "Main BIOS Image" (ticked)
2) selected "Destroy CMS Checksum" which oddly removed the tick on "Main BIOS Image"
3) re-select "Main BIOS Image"

Now BOTH these checkboxes now appear ticked so figure I am good to go... flash done quickly and seems fine with no errors etc

Boot-up, go to bios, load defaults, save+exit and restart
Go to change RAID->non-RAID but appears is not saving any changes i make
So left to try and boot but see a bad cmos checksum error.

I'm guessing it has somehow not managed to destroy CMS checksum despite showing as ticked?? Any ideas around this, since have a dead pc at the moment :(

Thanks

PtolemyIV

May 10, 2009
Bizarrely I can still load up windows despite it being set to raid mode in the bios and being unable to save any changes..

Could someone give me a working link to winflasher 4.11 and i will try reflashing. Thanks

reharlan

May 17, 2009
Hey guys, I just recently flashed my bios to 3.17a (with winflash 4.2) from pctreiber.net and I have a few problems I hope someone can help me with. First off my cpu is an e6600 and at the beginning it shows it at 1ghz only, when it should be 2.66ghz. I've tried my hardest to get it to recognize the full thing but whenever I reboot I get a checksum error regardless.

I can't get beyond that point, so I load with default settings just to get into windows. If I can't get it to work, is there any way I can reliably reflash an old bios onto the board. I already did attempt this , by flashing to 3.10 and it read my cpu just fine, but it was very unstable(would shut off eventually). I really could use some help on getting this in working order. Please help!

MKD

Dec 24, 2006
Originally posted by: reharlan
Hey guys, I just recently flashed my bios to 3.17a (with winflash 4.2) from pctreiber.net and I have a few problems

The website used to specifically warn you to use Winflash 4.11 - as I documented in some detail a few weeks back (previous page) - I didn't understand why, I just obeyed it - though since they they have reorganised their website and messed up the links.

Certainly 4.11 worked on mine.

reharlan

May 17, 2009
I'd love to but that file wasn't available by the link you put up, at least for me. :( I got the 4.2 instead.

reharlan

May 17, 2009
Ok I successfully installed the new 3.17a bios with the iso instead, and got everything going, except I have a new problem. The machine powers off, whenever it well pleases. I tried different memory, and I tried a different power supply with the same results. Anyone have ideas as to what to check in settings or hardware? Please help, tia.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
AGP will rise again

ATI AGP HD 4650

In case you've grown attached to your old rig, you'll be happy to hear that Gigabyte is now offering an AGP Radeon HD 4650 card,

Whether you're upgrading, or just want to use an old PC as an HTPC, an AGP HD 4650 is a pretty good choice, as it's not nearly as power hungry as previous AGP cards. With a power consumption of just 48W, you probably won't have to upgrade your PSU to enjoy HD and a few more fps in games.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index....view&id=13730&Itemid=1

:thumbsup:

fixed link.

VeloCT

Apr 29, 2009
Successfully updated my bios to 3.17a. Yay :)

Only thing I noticed is that I set my temp under hardware monitoring to 50 deg C and when the temp reaches 52/53 the fan spins up to full speed until the temp drops down to 48. Then the fan stops spinning completely and only kicks in again once the temp reaches 52/53 deg C.

Also on my Asus P5PE-VM motherboard with the speedstep enabled my CPU (Pentium D 925) would clock down to 2400Mhz(200 X 12) when idle and go back up to 3000Mhz(200 X15) when active. Currently my CPU sits at 3000Mhz with speedstep enabled on my Asrock Dual-VSTA and doesn't clock down at all.

I think I have to change the power settings in windows to power save or something.

Oh well I guess I still need to fiddle around with the settings some more.

PtolemyIV

May 10, 2009
Originally posted by: MKD
Originally posted by: reharlan
Hey guys, I just recently flashed my bios to 3.17a (with winflash 4.2) from pctreiber.net and I have a few problems

The website used to specifically warn you to use Winflash 4.11 - as I documented in some detail a few weeks back (previous page) - I didn't understand why, I just obeyed it - though since they they have reorganised their website and messed up the links.

Certainly 4.11 worked on mine.

I agree with you in principle but like reharlan I spent a long time looking for ver 4.11 to no avail.

Could you be so kind to provide us a download copy of this so we can try re-flashing? Seems like 4.2 gives a checksum error automatically on reboot + wont save changes made in the bios settings.

Thank you in advance since no reply from emailing pctreiber.

raskren

Dec 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Transient
Is anybody running a 64-bit operating system on this motherboard?

Yes, I've been running XP 64-bit edition on this board for quite some time and it runs flawlessly.

If you're looking to get around the 3.2GB limit, well I'm sorry to report going 64-bit won't help on this board. The problem it seems is a limitation of the VIA chipset (or so I read).

In any case, my 64-bit XP still only shows 3.2GB available. When I try it with Vista, it shows 4GB installed on the System screen, but only 3.2GB availale in Task Manager.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

Yep, it is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, that sucks! Is 64-bit any faster than 32-bit with equal amounts of RAM?

raskren

Dec 25, 2002
Just curious, can I run ANY 1066 FSB CPU in this motherboard?

I am currently running an Intel C2D e6600. I am tempted to "move up" to the Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz. This would give me an extra 530 Mhz but I'd lose 1 MB of L2 cache.

Is this a worthy upgrade? Actually, would this even be an upgrade (for gaming and office type usage)? I can't find any benchmarks comparing the Conroe series against the Wolfdale series.

Thanks!

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
@raskren

You may need to update your bios for that cpu stepping. As of version 3.15a, IIRC, the R0 stepping is supported.

Note that Intel has promised an update to the E7500 to re-enable virtualization support, handy for XP compatibility in Windows 7. I will be buying an E7500 myself for my 4CoreDual-VSTA when I can get the newer version.

raskren

Dec 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Hlafordlaes
@raskren

You may need to update your bios for that cpu stepping. As of version 3.15a, IIRC, the R0 stepping is supported.

Note that Intel has promised an update to the E7500 to re-enable virtualization support, handy for XP compatibility in Windows 7. I will be buying an E7500 myself for my 4CoreDual-VSTA when I can get the newer version.

So it should run (as I'm on the 3.17 bios) but will it be any faster than a E6600? And is it worth 130 or so dollars?

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Hlafordlaes
@raskren

So it should run (as I'm on the 3.17 bios) but will it be any faster than a E6600? And is it worth 130 or so dollars?

Yes, the R0 support should remain in any bios equal to or later than 3.15a.

Faster at what? Quad core is better at a few tasks (eg encoding, compression) and will put a spike in your 3DMark06 score, but a dual-core is fine for gaming and normal use, and the E7500 should beat the E6600 in many scenarios. Yes, I would pay $130 bucks for the revised version of the E7500, or the older version if I were sure I did not need XP compatibility under Win7.

What I do *not* know is if the revised E7500 will constitute a new stepping or require any bios changes; perhaps someone more knowledgeable can reply on that.